A Freakin' Embarrassment

"Bon Jovi: The "Crossroads" with Sugarland on CMT was one of the best "concert videos" I've ever seen. The cross-pollination will between the two bands was electric. I've seen a couple of other interesting mixes on that series, but not one that "grabbed" me like BJ/SL." -Pauliemissippi.com-

Couldn't agree more. Watched it 20 times. I like both their songs together better than solo, and I love them solo. Totally see Eric doing that, since that is where "pop" is going. He did it first with "Maybe My Baby", and "We've Got Each Other"

ERIC!!! If you don't think you and Carrie Underwood could rock out on your "High Cost of Loving You" you got to get out more. Cross both charts. You heard it here first on 6/30/07 from Seattle Steve. Come on you got people, Fred, that can make that happen.

If not... sell it to Garth/Trisha or Tim/Faith.. that unreleased gem HAS to see the light of the country/pop day, and find some ears.

IMHO.. love that song and Erics vocals.

I've been around for ever but never heard Eric comment on his thoughts on that song... ???

SS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, I hate to break up my studying to chime in but.....NOT! ;)

I love "YTMATW" from the minute i heard it...i immediately associated it as a bookend to "GATW" and it felt right. It makes me happy when I hear it.

"She remembered" is one of my all time favorite songs from anyone. The minute it plays, I have a movie playing in my head of the whole story. It's pure romance and sexual tension and longing and resolution. You don't get that satisfaction every day in real life.

"American" - I have always liked that song and it was a serious source of comfort when 9/11 happened. "Proud to be an American" was playing all over the place, but I always hear "AAAP" as the uplifting anthem. I particularly like Eric's vocals on this one.

The Raspberries may have taken 30+ years off...But Eric Carmen didn't...Since the 'berries broke up Eric has a had a number of solo hits...Including a song from one of the most loved movies of all time...I think the impact of the new Raspberries release should not be underestimated...I think a whole new generation is ready to tune into a group that was ahead of it's time in it's own time...And so remains relevant after all these years.

Country Music Television (CMT, part of the MTV Networks, which include MTV and VH1) has pages for Eric Carmen and for Raspberries on their website.

They aren't real up-to-date on website links (nothing current) and such, but Eric's page does have video of Eric Carmen and Merry Clayton singing "Almost Paradise" from the "Dirty Dancing Live" DVD (very cool live performance) and the music video for "Make Me Lose Control."

So, if the marketing guys touch base with CMT, maybe we could see those pages updated and maybe they could add Eric and Louise's "As Long As We Got Each Other" to Eric's page on CMT (might as well have a bona fide country chart hit there). Would be neat to see Raspberries' "Live" promo added to their page on CMT as well.

They do have sales links for the new "Boats Against The Current/Change Of Heart" CD and for the Raspberries "Live" release.

I think today's country fans include many '70s teen rockers who have aged to find their "pop" music on the country charts, and who may not follow the rock press these days, so there's probably a fan base waiting to be tapped on CMT who might not know Raspberries are back. Just a thought.

And "American As Apple Pie" as a video (and perhaps as a single) would be eaten up by country fans (with an apology to Eric for sounding like a broken record, but I believe the timing for that song is "now"). It could be the band's new signature tune!

Don Krider :)

"I think today's country fans include many '70s teen rockers who have aged to find their "pop" music on the country charts, and who may not follow the rock press these days, so there's probably a fan base waiting to be tapped on CMT who might not know Raspberries are back. Just a thought.

And "American As Apple Pie" as a video (and perhaps as a single) would be eaten up by country fans (with an apology to Eric for sounding like a broken record, but I believe the timing for that song is "now"). It could be the band's new signature tune!"

Excellent points ( :lol: ) Don! And the CMT data, great find!

There's nothing saying just because you were a star 20 or 30 years ago that you can't still be making albums. There are those that have been doing it all along - Paul Simon, Rolling Stones, etc... They were writing songs long before I was born (and let's just say I'm no spring chicken).

Hell - even Donnie Osmond is still around - anyone seen Weird Al's "White and Nerdy"? That's Donnie dancing around in the background.

Hell - even Weird Al's been around since about 1981 - when I was still in elementary school.

He's got a huge tour this summer - I just got tickets yesterday (YIKES $$$)

Hey, if Weird Al can play in Ottawa, why can't I get the Berries to play here????

I liked the fact that Eric's "American As Apple Pie" was on the 1995 MCA Records compilation CD "You Can Still Rock In America", right alongside tracks by Glenn Frey, Dave Edmunds, Chuck Berry, Kim Wilde, Night Ranger, Asia, The Blasters, Grand Funk Railroad and The Hooters.

Kind of a fun, multi-artist CD with an American theme among the tunes. I was just surprised, and happy, to see Eric's tune on that one.

Speaking of "American As Apple Pie," there's another neat interview Eric did with Ken Zimmerman of The Gavin Report, January 11, 1985, where he asks Eric about "American As Apple Pie" (written by Eric Carmen and Dean Pitchford):

PZ: I've been a fan of your music for a long time since the first Raspberries single "Go All The Way" in 1972. On the new album there's a song called "American As Apple Pie." It has one of my favorite Beach Boys licks from their tune "This Whole World." Was it intentional?

EC: (laughter) You mean the "Aww omm dot ditty?" The biggest problem is trying to figure out how to change it. We tried to sing "Aww urn pop did it" or "Dot did it" because I don't want The Beach Boys to think I'm ripping them off. One little phrase in there. It's one of those things where there's just certain syllables that sing so perfectly in certain spots. My love of that band is prone to surface now and then. There's no way I can completely disguise it.

For my part, I always thought of "You Took Me All the Way" as "Go All the Way: The Sequel" with actors who were maybe 15 years older than the originals and living in a house in the suburbs with a bunch of kids. Which was sweet, but I kind of felt "You know what they say about sequels: never as good as the first."

"American As Apple Pie" is a great piece of craft to me, but I could never lose my feeling that just as "Haven't We Come a Long Way" was "Eric goes disco," "AAAP" was "Eric Goes Mellencamp." It was another one of those songs that made me think "Eric is best when he's himself, not when he's trying to be someone else who happens to have big hits on the charts right now."

As for how this song could be adapted for Canadians, Marv--how about "Canadian As Butter Tarts"? ("Canadian As Poutine"? "Canadian as Tim Hortons"?)