A Freakin' Embarrassment

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've stated before, "You Took Me All The Way" was only written because John Kalodner BEGGED me to rewrite "Go All The Way." I tried to talk him out of the idea, but he was determined. I brought it in and it had different chords and every time a chord was different from "Go All The Way" he'd say "hmmm, I don't like that chord" and I'd play him an option and when I'd finally play the chord that was in GATW he'd say "That's it, play that chord." I thought the whole exercise was ludicrous, but it's hard to say "no" to the head A &R guy who just got you signed to a new label. I figured I owed it to him. I probably should have just refused to do it. Oh well, I did give it a pretty good new "bridge." ec

Eric Carmen said:

It's interesting that you say that, Marvin, because I think "American As Apple Pie" is one the band could nail as well. It's got that cool little Stan Lynch drum loop in the intro which we could sample, but, other than that it's a piece of cake. Could be fun! ec

I agree with Marvin --- the band should do this. The American psyche has been so shattered by the war that people need a song like "American As Apple Pie" to cheer them up. Nobody else on the pop charts is doing this.

I have a buddy who has completed three tours in Iraq and is now scheduled to ship out for Afghanistan. He's ex-82nd Airborne and joined the Air National Guard some years ago not expecting to be in combat again. So much for that thought, because now they won't let him retire out of the service and at the age of 53, he recently had to re-qualify as a paratrooper, though he's no longer in the Army and is now Air Force National Guard (people may not know it, but because of shortages in Army units, Air Force and Navy personnel have been deployed as ground troops with Army and Marine units in combat)!

He's been wounded twice, and though he says "I don't need another Purple Heart," they are sending him back. This guy doesn't believe in the war, though he says the media isn't telling the truth and our troops have done good things in Iraq, but he believes in his country and his sworn duty to protect its people, so he won't run away (his dad was at Pearl Harbor in 1941, and my buddy was pulled out of a firefight in Iraq to come home to be with his dad as he died a couple of years ago --- he arrived home at midnite and his dad died at 9 am that morning, then 30 days later he was back in Iraq dodging RPGs and gunfire).

He loves classic rock music, and I gave him one of your Best Of collections and a Raspberries greatest CDs before one of his (what he calls) "trips to the sandlot," and he loves your music.

He's played your music for these kids (and most of the troops are kids; he's the "old man") and they love it. They also love music DVDs --- he was telling me of the troops after a firefight relaxing to a DVD of The Eagles last year, and how much such things like that and USO shows help morale over there.

A song like "American As Apple Pie" is a spirit-lifter, one of those songs that lifts people up when they are feeling down. Not only would Raspberries have a huge hit with it, but imagine the impact it would have on American morale and the morale of American men and women serving a long way from home. I really hope the band adds the song to their set and cuts a new version of the tune (perhaps a promo video of the band doing the song for the Raspberries website to test the waters).

Didn't mean to be long-winded. I know your father, Dave's dad and Wally's dad were all veterans (not sure about Jim's dad), and that Dave is a Vietnam veteran himself, and it would be so cool if you guys, the All-American band that is Raspberries, put out "American As Apple Pie" because that title sums up what the band means to me.

There's just something really, really special about that tune, Eric. I'm hoping Bernie adds a clip of it to the main page for the 4th of July.

Don Krider :)

For those who haven't heard it, Bernie's got the lyrics to "American As Apple Pie" here: http://www.ericcarmen.com/music/lyrics09.htm#3 --- my favorite Eric Carmen-Dean Pitchford line from the tune:

"It's American as apple pie
Livin' hard, riding high
Feelin' every minute like the 4th of July
Go for broke
Do or die
American
It's American
It's American as apple pie"

That's a tough question. I suppose it would depend on how much I DISLIKED the candidate, and how much money he was willing to pay to use it. In the final analysis, I can't imagine any amount of money could coerce me into letting Pat Buchanan use it, so I guess there's my answer.

I've turned down plenty of offers to use my songs in films and commercials because I didn't want either my music or me associated with a particular scene in the film or a particular product. I suppose it all depends on how desperate you are. It's great when you can say "no" on principal. ec

On a similar note, Bob Seger was asked how he could 'sell out' and let Chevrolet or whoever it was use "Like A Rock." Seger's reply was, since he was from Detroit and had grown up around the auto industry, had many friends who worked in this field, he was comfortable lending the song.

Marv

While it's probably nerve-wracking to wonder how the new Raspberries album will do, consider that Bon Jovi just topped the pop album charts for the first time since 1988 (now, let's see, some other pop singer had a couple of Top 5 Pop Singles hit in 1988, "Hungry Eyes" and "Make Me Lose Control"...what was his name anyway?):

Bon Jovi's First Chart-Topper Since 1988

By KATIE HASTY, Reuters

Posted: 2007-06-27 18:58:46

Filed Under: Music

NEW YORK (June 27) - Bon Jovi topped the album charts for the first time since 1988 on Wednesday, while rock duo the White Stripes scored a personal best with a No. 2 debut for their latest release.

Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" sold 288,000 copies in the week ended June 24, the rock troupe's biggest one-week sum since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data in 1991. The Island/Mercury Nashville set is Bon Jovi's third No. 1 album, joining 1988's "New Jersey" and 1987's "Slippery When Wet."

Don Krider ;)

The Bon Jovi team have gone all out to promote the new album. The single, "You Want To Make A Memory" is receiving airplay, and to cash-in on the crossover success of "Who Says You Can't Go Home", the new album has about four tracks that are being fed to Country radio and CMT. Watch out for the song "I Love This Town." It'll be at the top of the charts before you know it.

Bon Jovi also had an interesting marketing tie-in with this new release. If you pre-ordered the disc through iTunes or the Jovi website, you automatically got tickets (free) to a Jovi concert.

Marv

Marvin, speaking of CMT, their "Crossroads" show has been a fascinating mix of country and rock artists --- http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossroads/episode_list.jhtml --- pairing Pat Benatar and Martina McBride, Kelly Clarkson and Reba McEntire, Bon Jovi and Sugarland, and others. Neat way for rock artists to expose their songs to a different audience.

The Benatar and McBride episode I saw this week blew me away --- both were fantastic. Can you imagine Eric Carmen and Faith Hill singing each other's songs on one stage? I think it would be cool.

Actually, Don, this new release isn't "nerve-wracking" at all. Back in the 70's, it would have been a different story, because the sales of any given album could have significant impact on your life and career. That's not really the case here. We made this recording as a legacy, for our fans and for us.

We're very realistic in our expectations. We've done our best to make a really good CD. We don't expect to sell tonnage. Sales of CD's are not exactly "brisk" these days. Ask McCartney. We just hope our fans will like it. BonJovi has been making records and touring consistently for 25 years. They have millions of fans around the world. We took thirty years off. ec

The Raspberries in a nutshell....The greatest of the founding fathers of the greatest rock music there is...Powerpop...Along with Big Star and Badfinger,The Berries gave folks who knew the difference between boring FM jamfests and smart rocking 3 min ear-candy hope in the early 70s...although underappreciated in their day...like other truly great overlooked artists[Nick Drake...Big Star...VU] their stature grows thru the years and their influnence is touted by other great artist.

ERIC: DON'T READ THIS POST

I like "You Took Me..." more than "She Remembered". There! I said it! I think " She Remembered" could be one of the most highly debatable songs in Eric catalog. There are so many that rank this right up there among his best (even Eric himself), while others don't like it much at all.

In all seriousness, of the 61 solo recordings that I own, there are NONE that I dislike to the point where I skip over them when listening. I haven't found that kind of consistency too many other places. As a matter of fact, I don't know of any other artist that I can say that of. In a few weeks, I am looking forward to recieving the Raspberries CD/DVD in the mail, and I for one can't thank you enough for this live legacy recording. I'm hoping for a similar solo project in the future.

Louise Mandrell hit #8 on the Billboard country singles chart with Eric's "Maybe My Baby" in 1985 (from her "Maybe My Baby" album) and #35 on the Billboard country singles chart with Eric's "I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips" in 1986 (from her "Dreamin'" album).

Louise Mandrell and Eric Carmen also hit #51 on the Billboard country singles chart as a duet with "As Long As We Got Each Other" in 1987, also from her "Dreamin'" album on RCA.

Craig,

Don't tell Eric, but I like "You took me.." better than "She remembered" too!

Anyone but me think that "I wanna be with you" from Fresh sounded like GATW?

The first time I heard "I wanna be with you" - with it's short first verse (2 lines in the case of each song) to get right into the chorus - I automatically thought of GATW. It was on the follow-up album to GATW, so to me it was easy to see the connection between the two.

With "You took me all the way", it was ??? years later, Eric had his solo career well underway - so it wasn't as obvious that it was similar to GATW. At least that's how I heard it.

Bon Jovi: The "Crossroads" with Sugarland on CMT was one of the best "concert videos" I've ever seen. The cross-pollination if you will between the two bands was electric. I've seen a couple of other interesting mixes on that series, but not one that "grabbed" me like BJ/SL.

Interestingly, Jon Bon Jovi made a point of saying that crossing over into the country market made perfect sense because the bulk of his fan base (young women from the eighties) had already made the shift... plus country had grown to include a lot of his style of music. It wasn't and isn't a huge stretch for them to label themselves as country now; I think he said they added a fiddle to a few songs on the new album and there you go... though that might have been said in jest...

RASPBERRIES: Eric has once before gone into the studio to record and release just a single (Make Me Lose Control) so how hard would it be for the band to go in (or record a live version) of American As Apple Pie? Make it available in some kind of package from Ryko or maybe just as an iTunes download or what-have-you? That song, while rocking, would also make the perfect cross-over of their own migration to CMT... nobody appreciates patriotic tunes like the crowd at CMT... anybody remember "Angry American" from Toby Keith? :lol: