A Freakin' Embarrassment

Reading through my copy of Bernie's book, (yet again - you'd think I'd have it memorized by now), I read that Eric wrote a song called "You took me all the way" (or something like that - I don't have the book with me at the moment)

In the book, Eric refers to it as "A freakin' embarrassment" It was supposed to be a re-do of "Go all the way"

Was the song ever recorded? I'd love to hear it - I'm sure even Eric's worst attempts are better than a lot of stuff that gets radio airplay these days.

If there was a copy ever made - can someone please send me a copy?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree

I have said this a few times, the little boy I work with loves the song.

I play it about 15 times a week and I'm not even close to being tired of it.

If a song reaches a child... who responds to very little else in this world ~ that song is a treasure. heartpump

Also, it is a great song to work out to, it is a fun song.

I never liked the song from the second I heard it because I saw it as "Go All the Way - Part 2." It was not necessary when Part 1 was perfect.

I'm glad that the little boy likes it and that it reaches him, and that it is a great song to work out to, but none of these reasons make it a good song.

Marv

Bernie's got the lyrics to "You Took Me All The Way."

There's an interesting interview with Eric Carmen in Cleveland Scene from January 10, 1985 (the album hit record stores January 7, 1985, despite the 1984 copyright on the package)'In that article, the writer, Raj Bahadur, let Eric talk about each track on the Geffen "Eric Carmen" album (not to be confused with the Arista "Eric Carmen" album a decade earlier), and Eric had this to say about "You Took Me All The Way" at the time:

"You Took Me All The Way" ... "Any resemblance to 'Go All the Way' is purely intentional. John (Kolodner) requested it. I said, 'John, I'm 34 now, I can't go home and write a song like that again. 'Think of it as a tribute to the Raspberries.' But I had to construct it so that it would be applicable to a guy of 34 speaking to his wife of ten years, rather than a 16-year-old talking to his girlfriend in the back-seat."

Don Krider :)

As Eric has said, if he had never written "GAtW" then maybe "YTMAtW" would be acceptable. Since he did write "GAtW", there's no way to not see the similarities between the two songs. "YTMAtW" is virtually identical to "GAtW": short verse leading right into the chorus; the bridge even uses the "c'mon, c'mon.." that is in "GAtW." And let's not forget the title.

Marv

It's one of my favorite EC songs! I think if had been released as a single the album might have done better. As I said in another thread about it, It had a familiarity to it, that would have translated into people buying it. After all, a couple of years later Fogerty would have a hit with a rewrite of "Green River" with "The Old Man Down the Road".

Jeff

C'mon Jeff... THE song that needed release from the Geffen album was "American As Apple Pie"... that had "hit" written all over it. Still does.

I used to "torture" my friends, back in the Navy when Geffen came out. It played incessantly on the tape deck at my desk... and though a lot of them were fans of different types of music, "Pie" was the one song that nobody complained about me playing too loud... :lol:

In my mind, the hits off the Geffen album should have been "American" or "The Way We Used to Be."

I believe Don Gehman (Mellencamp's producer in the 1980's) produced "American", but did any of Mellencamp's musicians play on that song? The guitar style certainly sounds like either Larry Crane or Mike Wanchic.

Marv

Well look at that - I DO own the song! Shows how much I've listened to the Geffen album I guess! (Ha!)

Now that I actually LISTENED to "You Took me all the way", I stand by what I wrote in the opening post - I'm sure even Eric's worst attempts are better than a lot of stuff that gets radio airplay these days.. The song is great! Yes, it definitely has a lot in common with GATW - but there was a decade or so between the release of the songs - so it's not like it was on the next album as a blatant attempt to ride out the popularity of GATW. It really is a good song!

"You Took Me All The Way" might be fine for a Eric Carmen fan...or for other people who just like the song...But maybe it didn't turn out to be all that Eric himself had hoped for...What may have sounded like an interesting concept may not have worked out musically or lyrically as well as it seemed it should have...But with a little pressure (or maybe alot) from his producer...he records the song anyway...and now has to live with the disappointment of the result forever...It makes it even worse that it's a sequel to one of his biggest hits...Maybe in his mind it was like dishonoring GATW with a sequel that lacked the heart and personal connection that the original song had.

It's hard to create a sequel to a great song...And it seems to me Eric Carmen wanted a great song if he was going to do a sequel to GATW...And at least in his opinion...he fell well short.

If they had released "American As Apple Pie" as a single a few weeks before the 4th of July in 1985, I've always felt that Eric would have had an enormous hit --- the Reagan '80s were full of "American" Top 10 anthems like Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" and Neil Diamond's "America". Eric's song ranks right up there with those great tunes in my opinion --- I love it!

The other musicians on the album were named in an interview Eric did in the French publication Rock Et Folk from July 1, 1985 (you've gotta love Bernie's press archive):

Cyril Lefebvre: The name of the musicians do not appear on the album jacket. Why is that, and do you have any plans to tour?

Eric Carmen: The album was to contain an insert, but there was no time. It's simply an error. Jeff Porcaro of Toto, plays drums, Larry Crane of John Cougar's group, plays guitar, Bill Cuomo plays keyboards; there's also Stan Lynch, of Tom Petty's group. I produced and played keyboards, too.

Don Krider :)

Oddly, listening to "You took me all the way" reminded me much more of "Every time I make love to you" from the Winter Dreams album. It's the lyrics - a guy still in love with his significant other years after they first get together. If I had to say one was written based on another, it would be those two.

Interesting how we all hear different things in a song. I guess so many different things come into play with music - no two people have the same listening experience. (And on that very deep philosophical note, I'm going to bed).

Don_Krider said:

Eric Carmen: The album was to contain an insert, but there was no time. It's simply an error. Jeff Porcaro of Toto, plays drums, Larry Crane of John Cougar's group, plays guitar, Bill Cuomo plays keyboards; there's also Stan Lynch, of Tom Petty's group. I produced and played keyboards, too.

Aha! Thanks for the info Don. I just knew that there was a Mellencamp sound happening on "American" and figured that either Crane or Wanchic were the guitarists on the song. Thanks for confirming it.

Marv

I think this was the first Eric/Raspberries album that I didn't just listen to front to back, A to B. When I spotted "You Took Me All The Way", I played that cut first. I had been hoping for son-of-GATW, with better production, and HERE it was! Loved the whole album :) Kirk.

Larry Crane played rhythm guitar, the great Todd Sharp (of Cleveland, Ohio,via Christine McVie's band) played that beeauuutiifull lead guitar, Stan Lynch was the drummer ( what a great guy he is) and I can't remember who the bass player was. Tom Kelly and Tommy Funderburk and Jim Haas did the bg vocals ( I think Jim Haas was the third vocalist) and I sang the vocal 'live" in the room with all those blastin' guitars. Don Gehman produced. It's one of my favorite uptempo tracks. Gehman is very, very good. He mixes so loud I couldn't even stay in the room. It had to be 130-140 db's in the control room. ec

It is 130-140 db's in my living room every time I play "American As Apple Pie"! I've blown more fuses in my 7 driver floor-standing monitors on this song than on any other :) Kirk.

Hey Eric, 1000 posts in 16 months! Not bad!!