Carl Wilson ( vocals)

Brian Wilson (vocals)

Dusty Springfield (vocals)

Terri Nunn (vocals)

Lesley Gore (vocals)

Ray Cooper (percussion)

Quincy Jones (bandleader)

George Martin (producer)

Not being a musician I'm glad I even know most of Eric's choices. Speaking as a lay person, I would add these.

Ross the Boss (guitar)

The Edge (guitar)

John Entwhistle (bass)

Max Weinberg (drums)

Joe Jackson (piano)

Jimmy Destri (organ)

Clarence Clemons (sax)

Bono (vocals)

Al Green (vocals)

Karen Carpenter (vocals)

Enya (vocals)

Bertrand Burgalat (producer)

But what the hell do I know?

Sting (vocals)

Carl Wilson (vocals)

Brian Wilson (vocals)

Dusty Springfield (vocals)

Terri Nunn (vocals)

Lesley Gore (vocals)

OMG! What a clean sweep for vocalists. Eric, GREAT call for Carl Wilson as well as Brian. He was the 'unsung hero' (but not the villain!) of The Beach Boys. And Dusty? SWEET!!!

I can hear the sweeping arrangements blending in right now.

Thanks, Paul. You know I've always liked the idea of using voices as instruments. I remember reading an interview with Jeff Beck (probably circa 1967 or '68) where he talked about choosing Rod Stewart to sing in his band because Rod's voice sounded like Jeff's guitar. He said a lot of his riffs were based on horn parts from all the big band records he loved. That always stuck with me. When I "rediscovered" the Beach Boys, I was knocked out with the way Brian seemed to arrange their voices like horns and woodwinds. Mike Love was the baritone sax, Al Jardine was a tenor sax or a trumpet, Carl and Brian were French horns. If you listen to the fade of "God Only Knows" you can hear the French horn doubling Carl's vocal line and Carl actually phrases like the horn. The thing I loved the most about the Beach Boys was actually being able to pick out their individual voices within the harmonies. Then on the "Sunflower" album (one of my favorites) they recorded in ambient stereo, which is a process that further emphasizes individuality of voices and instruments. You can hear the opposite approach when you listen to records by the Carpenters. On their records they stack the vocals and mix them far left and far right. The sound is very smooth and very homogenized. When I recorded the song "Change Of Heart" I decided to try a little experiment. Instead of booking the typical L.A. vocal session with either the current guy or girl session singers of the day I decided I'd like to try some mismatched singers with different styles and try to reinforce their individuality rather than go for homogenizing. The singers I booked were Samantha Sang (Australian BeeGee girl) Valerie Carter (urban cowgirl) Donny Girard ( lead singer of David Foster's band Skylark) and Brian and Brenda Russell (Brian sounded like a smoother Bill Medley, Brenda is the "Piano In The Dark, Get Here singer). I wasn't really sure if it would work but when they started to sing it was absolutely magical. That's kind of how I came up with my choices for vocals. I love the sound of each of their voices individually and I bet I could arrange the harmonies to take advantage of the different qualites of each one. Come to think of it, looks like I need a good baritone in there. Hmmm, maybe Mick Jagger. Very distinctive. e

Wow, thank YOU Eric. I really enjoyed your insight. It was like having a glimpse into what you see and what you hear when 'painting' your canvas. You have the "it" that only a few possess...Brian Wilson, Glenn Miller, Aaron Copland, Phil Spector, Frank Sinatra, etc.

I now have a better picture of what your mother must have thought when you picked out the doorbell note on the piano! It's always been inside you.

As for a baritone, you'd have to discern between 'rough/edgy' or 'smooth'. If not Lennon, how about David Crosby, Tony Hicks or Jeff Lynne?

That's ironic....I was thinking the same thing about J-Lynne...but I knew he could hit the low harmony for you, so I just stayed with him. Tony sang low harmonies below Clarke/Nash & Clarke/Sylvester. A different tonality than the other two. And yes, Crosby is probably a tenor...but man, can he harmonize. With anything, and anyone!

My mind wanders over to Johnny Cash and Bruce Springsteen right about now. And maybe Denny Doherty.

But Lennon gets MY nod!

Yes! John joins Paul in Eric's All-Time Fantasy band. I bet he'd especially love doing "Overnight Sensation," considering his praise for the song way back when.

I'll always be intrigued by the rumor that Lennon lent a hand "on the board" during the recording of "Overnight Sensation." From reading Marathon Man and Ken Sharp's book, I would guess we'll never know for sure.

(The other big Lennon mystery --- as mentioned on VH1 --- is the whereabouts of that Raspberries poster with Lennon's scribbles on it. Given the value of John's autograph today, that thing might draw a five-figure price at auction today....)

--LC