Davey Johnstone and Laurence Juber

John P

I just want to go on record to indicate that when I saw Laurence Juber at the Beatle fest convention in 1996, he spoke of the recording sessions he worked on and he did say that he played on the "Dirty Dancing " soundtrack and "Make me lose control". He did appeared to be disgruntled of the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack not giving any musician credits on the album. John

Carl Wilson was the voice, but I remember going to a concert in the day and Dennis came out from behind the drums twice, and brought down the house with Joe Cocker's "You are so beautiful", and then his own "Forever",

I've come to appreciate it, especially Forever, but it still reminds me of going to my last Eagles concert with such incredible Frey/Henley songs, and Joe Walsh gets the loudest acknowledgement with the intro to Funk 49.

I've said before that Henley's Desperado is Eric's Boats. Both legendary.

I could never be Clive today... I don't get today's scene.

Not only did "Dirty Dancing" not put any musician credits on the record, they didn't report any of the earnings to the proper unions and pay the necessary taxes. The musicians and singers who worked on that album won't get one extra penny for their pensions from it. Considering the album sold well of 20,000,000 copies, that's a lot of money to help people in their retirememnt years. The people who run these companies really do suck. How big a deal would it have been to just report the earnings and pay the taxes so all the folks that helped make that album such a screaming success would get a few extra dollars when they retire? The filthy animals. ec

John P said:

Thanks for your participation in this forum Eric. John

I echo those sentiments fully. Nice read about MMLC and all that was involved. I know that my little female karaoke buddy will again tonight be wanting to sing MMLC w/ me as a duet. She may actually like the song more than me!

A good evening to all!

Eric Carmen said:

"Make Me Lose Control" was a very strange recording session for me. I had brought back Jimmy Ienner to produce, and Jimmy always had a little "thing" about who was in control. When I got to the studio he had hired all the musicians (without asking me who I thought might be good for the song). I kind of dis-involved myself from the recording of the basic track because I sensed my input wasn't wanted.

Wow, that sucks. I would think at that point in your career, after proving yourself time & time again, that you'd be allowed to be the one calling the shots and people would be wanting YOUR input, especially since it was YOUR song. Strange business indeed

Hi Eric. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on some of these sessions and touring with the Beach Boys. I've always heard that Carl was such a kind, sweet and gentle man. He was certainly underrated as a vocalist.

Ah, Kip Lennon. Are you a Venice fan Eric? There is something to be said for those special harmonies that come from brothers and cousins. And I'm sure as Lawrence Welk used to say "Da lovely Lennon sisters" had some genetic influence! The Everlys, the Bee Gees, Neil and Tim Finn, the Wilsons (Brian, Carl, Dennis), et. al are just a few examples of voices that harmonize in an awesome way.

Be well,

SNazz123

Great stories Eric. I can't believe any Eric Carmen recording would have someone else play piano. That's like having a session guitar player for Clapton!

I have the Long Live Rock and Roll demo, but that's the first I heard that Eric was the overdubs.

I guess I can see it when you are going for a different feel, like Burton Cummings, who laid down a nice boogie shuffle feel to Hey Deanie.

Recording sounded like it was a grind, but MMLC ended up a pop masterpiece.

Check out Eric doing it live on the Dirty Dancing DVD. It rocks. In fact know that I think about it, I can't believe they let him do his new single, as opposed to making EC go to the well with an old hit. Sure worked though.

Just to interrupt for a second these great stories from Eric---but back to Lawrence Juber for just a moment---if anyone wants to really hear an amazing record, LJ recorded his own acoustic arrangements of Beatles songs called LJ Plays the Beatles. You haven't lived until you've heard "Strawberry Fields" arranged for acoustic guitar---I kid you not! (or "Martha My Dear" for that matter). Check it out at Amazon, etc.---if you love the Beatles and acoustic guitar (and who doesn't?)you'll really fall in love with this CD.

By the way, I don't know the man so this isn't a paid plug or anything! :) I got a tip to buy this CD from my old landlord who works at Martin Guitar in Nazareth, PA.

I was just reading through this thread again, and I notice that you have worked with Lee Sklar (Born in beautiful Milwaukee, WI in 1947).

I finally got to see him perform live last Saturday in Vegas - What an amazing live performer he is! He makes it look so darn smooth and simple even when he is playing very intricate Bass lines. He was playing with Toto since Mike Porcaro is recovering from some hand issues.

As to Davey Johnstone, I have seen him live 5 times over the last 27 years as part of Elton's band - That man can flat out rock!

You have certainly worked with your share of great people, and they in turn have gotten to work with you! :)

Tim