Davey Johnstone and Laurence Juber

John P

I really enjoyed working with Davey, both in the studio and on the road. We had a ball in Japan together. As a matter of fact, Davey was my main "partner in crime" during our two visits to Japan. We would go out every night and hit all the cool clubs. I think I was the only one who could keep up with him. He was a madman! Very underrated guitarist, but, when you're not all about flash and solos, that tends to happen. The Eddy Van Halens get all the fame, but Davey is fantastic in an understated way. I don't recall ever working with Laurence Juber. Who is he? ec

"Make Me Lose Control" was a very strange recording session for me. I had brought back Jimmy Ienner to produce, and Jimmy always had a little "thing" about who was in control. When I got to the studio he had hired all the musicians (without asking me who I thought might be good for the song). As it turns out, he hired Lee Sklar, a terrific bassist I'd worked with before so that was just fine. The drummer was someone named Paul Grien(?) who I'd never heard of, and Jimmy decided he wanted me to sing the song in a vocal booth during the session, so he hired someone else to play piano. I thought that was very odd since I'd always played piano on all my records and, as the writer, I have a certain "feel" for the song. I was taken by surprise when I walked in and found out, but, for the sake of peace, I went along with it.

I don't remember who played guitar but if you say it was Lawrence Juber, then maybe it was. I kind of dis-involved myself from the recording of the basic track because I sensed my input wasn't wanted.

When it came time to do the background vocals I pushed my way back into the session. I helped choose the vocalists (among them, Mark Hudson and Kip Lennon) and worked with them trying to get the sound and pronunciation I wanted. Jimmy was very upset and accused me of "usurping his session." There's a lot more to the story, but it wasn't the most fun I've ever had in a recording studio.

It became a VERY expensive single (at least $60,000 as I recall, the kind of money you can never recoup). Thank God (and/ or Donnie Ienner) it went to number #3. At least I saw some publishing and airplay royalties. ec

Thanks for the info Eric. I'm very interested in your choice of Kip Lennon (from Venice), who I feel, along with his cousin Mark, are two of the finest singers out there. Not to mention Kipp is Jackson Browne's look-a-like.

Marv

p.s. Where can we hear the original demo with "12 Eric's."???

It was recorded with the original title (Dean Pitchford and I had written it as "Long Live Rock 'n Roll") It was comprised of my music and Dean's lyric which was a nostalgic look back at an earlier time when the couple in the car fell in love with "Stand By Me" and doo-wop songs. My music was supposed to be a sort of cross between "Soul and Inspiration" by the Righteous Brothers with the Beach Boys singing background, and Phil Spector production values. That was the starting point. I've gotta admit, I sound as close to the Beach Boys on that demo as anyone evr did. I sang the Mike Love parts like Mike, the Carl Wilson parts like Carl, and even my flasetto kicked in magically for the really high Brian parts. I'll see if I can find a copy and get it to Bernie. Jimmy thought my vocals sounded "too authentic". He didn't want it to sound like the Beach Boys. That was the magic to me.

Grrrr. Foiled again. ec

Too authentic!...That's crazy!...It's what most singers would love to be able to do...Be able to sound like the Beach Boys whenever they wanted...As good as that record was...As great as it all worked out in the end...I can't help but think some "too authentic" Beach Boys sounding vocals would have taken it to a much higher level...The only thing higher of course would be if Brian Wilson was there himself singing the parts.

It's too bad Eric, in a way, that you never got to tour with the Beach Boys... I mean, Let's Pretend was considered the best Beach Boys single that they didn't do, Cruisin' Music might be the best Beach Boys SONG that they didn't do... and with you channelling both Love and Wilson... Though I loved seeing you with Ringo, a tour with that other band would have been cool too... :lol:

Of course all those take a back seat for my love of Raspberries. Nothing should ever stand in the way... ;)

I-of course never knew Carl Wilson...But Eric was he as angelic as his voice and manner always seemed to imply.

In my mind's eye right now I can see and hear him singing...

"I may not always love you,

But long as there are stars above you..."-Whew!-Ira.

Eric Carmen said:

It was recorded with the original title (Dean Pitchford and I had written it as "Long Live Rock 'n Roll") ec

Not sure how I got it, but I have a copy of that demo. I like it whole bunches more than the released version. All 12 Erics sound GREAT! :lol:

With the knowledge of the 12 Eric's implanted in my mind, I went back and listened to my copy of that demo, dated from 1987. Kick butt, indeed! I'm wondering if the song would have charted any differently if the original theme had been used? Kirk.

Maybe if there are enough requests, Bernie will put it in the juke box :) Jen, I got mine before there was ec.com, before there was ebay, when the small circle of 'traders' in Raspberries and Eric Carmen rarities felt more like traders of rare antiquities. Indiana Jones had nothing on me when it came to sleuthing out rare demos and promo stuff :cool: Kirk.