"Make Me Lose Control" A Cappella

LC

I LOVE IT!!! I think it definitely captures the essence of the song more than the record that was released. It's absolute perfection! The vocals are just perfect--you were really "in the zone"!

What in the hell was wrong with Jimmy? While the record that was released is exciting, I feel that this one is absolute gold.

Thanks so much for sharing this gem!

:) --Darlene

Eric's Demo:

Total cost including tracking, overdubs, vocals and mix/ $350.00 Total time in studio/ One day in Beachwood, Ohio

Jimmy Ienner's Record:

Total cost including tracking, overdubs, vocals and mix/ $65,000.00 Total time in studio/ Five days, tracking and overdubs, Three days, vocals/ Twenty days, mixing in L.A and Miami.

LC said:

It's times like this that I don't miss Cartoon World so much.

I'll second that emotion, LC. I'll take "Eric CAR(men's)TOON WORLD" anytime Eric and Bernie so graciously bestow EC-lusive gems like this one upon us!

"Long Live Rock And Roll"... and long live the music of Eric Carmen... :heartpump:

Eric Carmen said:

Eric's Demo:

Total cost including tracking, overdubs, vocals and mix/ $350.00 Total time in studio/ One day in Beachwood, Ohio

Jimmy Ienner's Record:

Total cost including tracking, overdubs, vocals and mix/ $65,000.00 Total time in studio/ Five days, tracking and overdubs, Three days, vocals/ Twenty days, mixing in L.A and Miami.

Wow! That is... amazing. And kind of obscene -- especially when you consider that a session player was compensated to come in and take instructions from you on how to play the song on piano. I don't know how much that added to the cost, but even if it was $500, I would have saved it. After all, you do know something about playing piano.... (That's like hiring a session guy to come in a play bass on a Paul McCartney record.)

Does the record company bear part of the expense, or does the artist foot the entire bill?

The Badfinger analogy isn't really appropriate. When the band was at Apple, Apple paid all the recording costs and paid them a very healthy royalty on top of that which is pretty unheard of. That was The Beatles' doing. When they signed with Warner Bros., it was a no royalty deal where they were paid a lump sum for each album delivered so the recording costs were not recouped through royalties. The two reunion albums with Joey and Tommy were the more traditional setup where the band is given an advance for living expenses while recoding and that advance and the recording costs are recouped against future royalties. This doesn't affect publishing and songwriting royalties. That's where the money is for most recording artists. Most artists will never see any regular royalties unless they are a mega star.

Eric Carmen said:

For some reason, the night I sang those vocals I actually found the falsetto voice I'd been looking for my whole life.......The feel of the demo was more relaxed and sexy. I thought the record was too fast.......

Thank you so much for sharing, this is beautiful!

I've never heard it before. That falsetto voice is extremely sexy...It sounds more relaxed and sexy, indeed. I love it!!!

Tony Cartmill said:

That little high note in the background for a couple of beats in the chorus is enough to get Andiemay going? Come on!

What happens when you here Barry Gibb for a whole verse, girlfriend? :rolleyes:

:angry:

Monsieur Tony, Vous etes un garçon très sauvage!

Actually, I don't like Barry Gibb vocals very much...But, I do love Eric's Falsettos too much!!!

• 3 years later...

Hey, I just rediscovered this neat old thread, from around three years ago. The "Make Me Lose Control" a cappella version I linked in the opening post here, if you click on it. Great song for a vocals-only treatment....

And since we haven't seen Eric here in a while, I thought newer members would get a kick out of EC's comments here (see pp. 1, 2, 3, and 4 of thread). Long live rock'n'roll....

Eric Carmen said:
Eric's Demo:

Jimmy Ienner's Record:

I had forgotten about this particular post until re-reading this whole thread. What cool insight, as is Eric's description, in response to Marvin on p. 2, of how he "heard" the song — and how the final product wasn't quite what he intended. It's still a great pop record, though....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I just gotta say that I listened to the "Long Live Rock 'n' Roll" demo and absolutely loved it.

I'm somewhat of a songwriter and have begun recording some of my original works in my makeshift home studio,  so I love hearing anecdotes about the recording process. It's really cool that Eric hosts this forum and shares these incredible insights.

I don't know if you'll see this Eric but I want to thank you regardless for helping inspire me to create my own music. I'm relatively young (21) and haven't been a fan for long, but your music has moved me in ways that very few artists have been able to accomplish.

P.S. Funny enough, I actually learned to sing falsetto by impersonating Barry Gibb! Needless to say, I'm a massive Bee Gees fan as well.