"Make Me Lose Control" A Cappella

LC

I've got one somewhere, thanks.

I just thought, while we're on the subject of vocal arrangements, you nutty kids might like to hear my original intentions for "Make Me Lose Control."

That was a fun recording session, because I sang all the parts on the fly. I just made them up right on the spot and doubled them, and then went on to the next one. I think I ended up with six background vocal parts, doubled. All twelve parts were done in a couple of hours.

The instrumental track was a piano, a Linn drum machine, and maybe a bass.

I think it captured the feel I was going for better than the finished record.

• Like 1

The original lyrics certainly add more to the song, I believe.

Man Eric do you ever sing the daylights out of this song, and I love the line: "We just pray that this night never ends..."

Eric why didn't you do all the voices on the released version ("Make Me Lose Control")?

Eric Carmen said:

I just thought, while we're on the subject of vocal arrangements, you nutty kids might like to hear my original intentions for "Make Me Lose Control."

That was a fun recording session, because I sang all the parts on the fly. I just made them up right on the spot and doubled them, and then went on to the next one. I think I ended up with six background vocal parts, doubled. All twelve parts were done in a couple of hours.

The instrumental track was a piano, a Linn drum machine, and maybe a bass.

I think it captured the feel I was going for better than the finished record.

Eric, thanks for that insight! Great stuff....

I love the 'feel' of the demo, also!

You can't argue with the chart success of "MMLC". Eric- did you ever wonder if it would have made any difference if you'd left the original lyrics intact?

Something caught my ear listening to the demo. It sounded a little frenetic in the second verse singing "Jennifer she's singing "Stand By Me"... I like the change to "Jennifer's singing "Stand By Me"... Perfection!

Marvin,

Jimmy Ienner wouldn't let me do them. He said I sounded too much like the Beach Boys (and that would be....bad?).

I actually sang the three part bridge vocals ( ..."And then they play"...) doing my best Barry Gibb impersonation.

Unfortunately, the record lost all that "personality", even though the guys who sang background were great ( Mark Hudson, Kip Lennon, and I think Jon Joyce ). I did the bass vocal.

For some reason, the night I sang those vocals I actually found the falsetto voice I'd been looking for my whole life. I just popped that high "E" out like it was nothing. I don't know where that voice came from, but I wish it would come back!

That was a weird recording session. For the fist time ever, Jimmy hired another keyboard player to play the piano and then relegated me to a vocal booth. I had to teach the session guy exactly how I played the part. It didn't make any sense to me, since I wrote the song, played piano on the demo and had played piano on virtually every other record I'd ever made. I still don't know why he did it.

The feel of the demo was more relaxed and sexy. I thought the record was too fast, but then again, what the hell do I know? I'm just the guy who wrote it and sang it. Duh. confused :rolleyes: