Communicating w/Fans Before The Web

all this message board banter, incl feedback from Eric himself, makes me wonder if & how he/they communicated w/ fans back in the original Raspberries days? back then there were fan clubs you wrote to (did they ever write back, aside from the glossy photos sent?) & there were promos (did they really give away the groovy volkswagen?). other than the obvious, err, umm... interaction w/ the screaming, squirming girl fans, i wonder how EC & co. communicated w/ fans (aside from giving them great records & performances) - i suppose it was mostly while on the road out at the shows. it's just striking to me how much the internet has changed all that...

Communicate with other fans? I couldn't even get news about upcoming concerts most of the time. I would pore over the newspapers and run to CAM in New York and ask when they were going to be where. I don't think a lot of their concerts were publicized nearly as much as they should have been--I would beg, borrow or steal information about upcoming shows whenever and wherever I could get it.

There was a Raspberries Fan Club, but I didn't know about that either. I managed to get to a lot of shows in spite of all that.

I had no idea there were so many other people who thought they were "alone" in their part of the country, though. I had no idea there were so many international fans! What a great gift this website and Raspberries.net were to me!!!

Now the NEW official Berries website is here! And so much is happening!!!

"Haven't we come a long way, Baby?"!!!

:) --Darlene

so darlene, what is 'CAM in new york' ? where else did you see them? you guys apparently had the regional advantage we didnt have here in texas... marvin, what kind of things did you get from the fan club? was 'kathy koral' the fan club prez or something? anyone have any memorabilia left over from the fan club?

Austinberries I have all my Fan Club memorabilia intact. There were info sheets on all the members, a membership card, reviews of their discs and concerts from the various trade magazines, etc. At Bernie's "Weekend" in August 2004, I brought the package along.

Kathy Koral was the Fan Club president.

Marv

CAM was the management agency/music publisher for Raspberries back in the day. It was located in New York City.

I saw them at Joint In The Woods in Parsippany, Central Park in New York City, Rutgers University here, St. Johns University in Queens, (NY),anywhere in PA they went, every New York concert I could get to and any clubs I heard they were playing. There was one on Long Island, NY (Larry Lange was probably there, as I recall) and at a place called The Cave in Marlboro, NJ (they may have it listed as Matawan). The place is no longer there, by the way. It became a swim club and later was sold to a developer who put up some townhouses but is now in bankruptcy.

There were other places as well. Back in the '70s, if I wasn't playing a symphony concert, I was trying to go to a Raspberries concert.

I guess some things never change...

smile --Darlene

Even though L.A. is far from their Ohio home, I always felt like I was somewhat of an insider. I could (and did) go into Capitol Records often to find out Raspberries news before it came out for the general public, and sometimes even before the press. I wish I could remember the name of that nice lady in the lobby who always had something for me when I went there. Kirk.

Marvin, I loved your Fan Club memorabilia. It was so cool to see at WAB. I envy you your official Raspberries fan club membership! Kathy Koral should find this website and register--everyone is looking for her!

And Kirk, if I were the lady in the lobby of Capitol records, I would always have something nice for you, too. ;)

:) --Darlene

Hey Marv, I also still have the fan club packet. I can't recall when I found it packed away in a box I didn't know I had. I posted a question on Dave's message board some time last year asking about Kathy Koral and didn't get a response. Any chance that you'll share the update on her?