Hungry Eyes

Poor4Life

Eric,

My wife was watching "Dirty Dancing" yesterday, and listening to it while I was in the other room it sounded like a differnt mix of the song was played during the movie than the one that was released on the album soundtrack and single. I actually liked it better. Any reason why a different mix was used?

Jeff

The main reason that the mix sounds different is because you mix a film for FIVE speakers (movie theater configuration) instead of two. Theaters have three speakers in front (left, right and center) and two in back (left and right). The mix has to be reconfigured to accomodate the speaker setup. The extra sax solo was something overdubbed later by Jimmy Ienner, probably to create a specific mood at that point in the film. ec

• Like 2

Interesting note on the sax solo. Somebody a while back mentioned the sax solo from "Hungry Eyes" was one of their favorites, and wondered who played it. Nobody volunteered any info, so I stated that I thought it was Eric that played it- not really sure of where I got the idea. Nice work on the emulator! Kirk.

Having never been a fan of "Hungry Eyes" (even though I was thrilled that Eric had re-surfaced on the charts), I've always felt that the song's saving grace was Eric's lead vocal.

I have a copy of a radio interview that Eric did at the time with WMMS where he mentions that he was trying for a "Lennon" vocal on the song.

Marv

I played the "sax" solo with a keyboard called an Emulator. It would be pretty archaic by today's standards but it served it's purpose. The "other sax" was a real one overdubbed later by Jimmy Ienner. Frankly, I prefer the tone of the emulator sax. I thought the real one was a bit too smooth and "jazzy" for the song. ec

Once again, the very tight budget of the album dictated the use of "sampled" instruments. I'd always rather use real players but sometimes that's not an option. There's not a large contingent of "studio ready" musicians in Cleveland, Ohio. If players are really good, and they want to earn a living, they usually have to go to L.A., New York or Nashville, the music hubs where records are made. There are some good musicians here, but I didn't know any great drummers who would have been available for the "Winter Dreams" sessions ( I don't think Jim B. had thrown his hat back in the ring yet ). I would have loved to have used "live" musicians. I couldn't afford them. ec

• Like 3

• 15 years later...

Hi Eric (and community!)

Thanks for clarifying this - its bugged me for years! Nice to know it's also come from the horses mouth (so to speak) rather than me endlessly hitting dead ends on Google! Just seen the video to it and always thought it was a young Candy Dulfer!!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2006 at 12:21 PM, Eric Carmen said:

Once again, the very tight budget of the album dictated the use of "sampled" instruments. I'd always rather use real players but sometimes that's not an option. There's not a large contingent of "studio ready" musicians in Cleveland, Ohio. If players are really good, and they want to earn a living, they usually have to go to L.A., New York or Nashville, the music hubs where records are made. There are some good musicians here, but I didn't know any great drummers who would have been available for the "Winter Dreams" sessions ( I don't think Jim B. had thrown his hat back in the ring yet ). I would have loved to have used "live" musicians. I couldn't afford them. ec

Thank you for clarifying. I'll take you any way I can get you and if means through sampled instruments I will not be complaining. My favourite album actually. Thank you Eric.

Rhonda B.

• 5 months later...
On 10/20/2006 at 10:49 PM, Eric Carmen said:

The main reason that the mix sounds different is because you mix a film for FIVE speakers (movie theater configuration) instead of two. Theaters have three speakers in front (left, right and center) and two in back (left and right). The mix has to be reconfigured to accomodate the speaker setup. The extra sax solo was something overdubbed later by Jimmy Ienner, probably to create a specific mood at that point in the film. ec

Did Andrew Mayo play a role in the Hungry Eyes solo?