Frankie Valli

ira

and the Four Seasons!

Eric...I surely remember your thoughts on "El Putz Grande" Sandy Linzer...who co-wrote "Opus 17" and "Workin' My Way Back To You" for the Four Seasons and tried to turn the Raspberries into "Eric Carmen And The Four Reasons" (I also met the guy and..YUK")..But I wanted to ask you what your thoughts are regarding the "Four Seasons".

This group happens to be the first group I ever loved...I had 16 of their singles back in the day that you bought singles 'cause...more or less...till the Beatles...Rock And Roll Albums sucked.

I never thought of Frankie as an incredible earthy bluesy singer till Billy Joel inducted the "Seasons" into the "Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame" and talked about how you could hear the streets of Newark New Jersey in Frankie's voice...And Billy was right.

Of course...with the success of the show "Jersey Boys" there has been a renaissance of adoration for what Bob Gaudio and Frankie were doin'.

Do you like their music?

-Ira.

Annie...In the play "Jersey Boys"...The first act is about the group's ascent...their climb from "Newark Hoods" to a "Hit Group".And..The first act is absolutely joyous...

Still I found myself weeping with a mixture of sadness and joy during Act One as I both remembered how wonderful it was when I was a kid to hear their newest hit on the radio and root like hell for the "Seasons" to succeed on the weekly "77 WABC Silver Dollar Survey"...Yet I also remembered that listening to 60's radio "In My Room"...and hearing the "Four Seasons" and later the "Beach Boys" was my only real joy in my awful parochial quasi-religious hypocrytical Orthodox Jewish upbringing!

Corny as it sounds "Rock and Roll saved me and made me the quite happy man I am today!-Ira.

Barbara...I really pity people for whom music is is not a vital part of their lives.The track record of "Frankie and The Four Seasons" is absolutely remarkable!.I could be locked in a room and ordered to listen to "Workin' My Way Back to You", Beggin'", "C'Mon Mary-Ann",and "Big Man In Town" for 30 years...and that would be O.K.-Ira.

Hey Barbara...I've obviously never met you but it's obvious you are a "Gita Nishama"..Yiddish for a good soul.

What keeps me alive is that thru good days and bad...There are things that I enjoy EVERY day...And Music has NEVER failed me as a friend that was always there.

Growing up in the 50's 60's and 70's...musically...was like winning the lottery.-Ira.

To those who don't know...A Tallis is a Jewish prayer shawl and Frankie's multi-colored collar in this video indeed looks like a Tallis.

Barbara...Thank you...Great video...I never enjoyed "Swearin' To God" as much as I did watching this "Jazz-Treatment" of this tune,Very Nice!-Ira.

Giro...When an old movie, T.V. show or song has words,scenes,lyrics that appear to be insensitive by today's standards we get around it by calling it a "Period Piece"...something reflecting a dufferent time and place...And then us guys have a good excuse to enjoy the sexist nature of the work even today.

Frankie and I have crossed paths a number of times, but I don't recall actually ever meeting him. We've spoken on the phone more than a few times, and he recorded "Boats" and " I Need You." I seem to recall there being some talk about him recording "It Won't Be The Same Without You", one of my really early songs, written during my Cyrus Erie (pre-Raspberries) days.

Frankie would call me and ask if I had any songs for him. He'd say "Eric, you know I'm the only one, besides you, who can actually sing your songs!" He was referring to the fact that my melodies usually required a pretty big "range" for a singer.

The great arranger and producer,Charlie Calello, once told me the only guy he'd ever heard who could show up at a recording session at nine in the morning and "sing like a bird" was Frankie.

I've always liked Frankie. What a "sound" he makes!

I haven't had a chance to catch it , yet, but I've heard it's terrific.

I wasn't a huge Season's fan, in the beginning, because I really got into "pop" music when The Beatles, The Stones, The Who and The Byrds became popular, but there's no debating those records they made with Bob Crewe were incredible. And Frankie was a complete original. nobody else sounded like him, until Billy Joel did "Uptown Girl."

By the way, my favorite thing about "Uptown Girl" is the way Billy pronounces the word "gurrl", just like Frankie! Pronunciation can be absolutely essential to the way a word SOUNDS when you sing it. It's the same way with Mike Love's pronunciation on all the Beach Boy's records ( Muh buddies, an' me er' gittin' reel well known.....).

I've always noticed that too about Frankie and Mike Love.

Eric...Didja ever notice that the line ..

"It always seems to be a Mon-day,

Left-over memories of Sun-day",

and later...

"Your face is always on my mind Gurrl,

I'm hopin' soon you're gonna find Gurrl".

When I first bought Billy's "An Innocent Man" album and heard "Uptown Girl", it was obvious who he was trying to emulate. Twenty-five years later now when I hear "Uptown", I don't hear Frankie anymore. I hear Billy.

Speaking of "An Innocent Man", I still think the idea behind the album (original songs that captured a specific influence / sound), was wonderfully done.

Great stuff. (I never picked up on that song's introductory "sound effects"; see also "On the Beach," by Raspberries.)

--Larry

PS: I also dig Frankie Valli a lot. The Beach Boys and Four Seasons had a nice little rivalry going in the 1960s.