Questions About "Hands On You"

Paulie Mississippi

EC, on the Starting Over album, there is the classic tune "Hands on You"... ;) It was as I recall also the "B" side of "Overnight Sensation (Hit Record)"...

I've always wondered about that song... was it a "spur of the moment" recording or did you guys plan the "party atmosphere" that seemed to be going on. I always imagined that you guys were sort of relaxed and cutting up... maybe having had a drink or a "hit" or two..., though as the second verse begins one of the voices calls out "Come on you Turkeys!"... and I've sort of always suspected that was you... because I know you are probably the most "perfectionist" member of the band, either lineup...

So... was that you? Who "shined the moon" that someone referred to? Who brought it up on the record? ("Look he fell... he shines a moon... HA HA HA)

Was the song ever intended to be recorded more straight-forward or was it always intended to be a "prank/joke"? It carried on the "bad-boy" theme of "All Through The Night" quite nicely, and was a great counterweight to the more loving "I Can Hardly Believe That You're Mine" and "Starting Over"...

I know it's probably one of those songs that you sort of wish had never happened, but it did... and Enquiring minds want to know... :lol:

I would play this for people who were not fans of the band. Then I would ask them, 'Who do you think this is?' They would always get a strange look on their faces, because they just couldn't believe there was a Beatle song out there that they hadn't heard. I would tell them it was The Raspberries, and again, they would just say how much it sounded like The Beatles.

I wasn't there, but its funny because at the Bryson Group rehearsal this past Saturday I asked Wally to play a little of it and he obliged(it has always been one of my favorites). Wally commented that he and Scott wrote that song when they lived in a house across the street from the Utopia club and they were just having some fun. When I see Wally over the Holidays I will ask him more about the song.

"Hands On You" was all Wally and Scott. I'm not sure I was even around when it was recorded (Things were a little tense by that time. I don't think I was "invited").

A lot of the high pitched yelling was Shelley Yakus, and I seem to recall people were crunching beer cans to the beat. Dennis Ferrante might be able to shine some light on the subject.

Thanks Eric. Sorry that you weren't involved, it actually made the band sound like they were enjoying themselves, it's the kind of mental picture I think we all have and it's sad when reality reminds us that all the times you guys had were not wonderful... but makes us thankful (on this Thanksgiving day) that you and the guys are together after all those silent years... :lol:

that song is actually a brilliant little slice of genius, off-the-cuff as it was. it was comical, hooky, & a didn't-see-it-coming moment of levity amidst an album full of highly-evolved rock compositions of now-legendary status (hence the Rolling Stone nod)

& if the Raspberries ever do another show, they need'ta roll this one into the set list - would be a great tune to kick off an encore set with!

• 2 weeks later...