Favorite "Current" Band

Well, she's not a band, but I think A Girl Called Eddy is the best I've heard in many a year. This is sensitive, subtle, elegant, melodic and unusual music. I think she's absolutely freaking BRILLIANT with a capital "B". In a world where quality ruled, she would be a superstar. If Burt Bacharach and Dusty Springfield had a baby.....and Jon Brion got to babysit. That's what we have here. I find her mesmerizing.

Eric

Eric...good call...she's great!

Marv...thanks for the link...good read...

"Born Erin Moran, Eddy grew up in the small New Jersey town of Neptune, close to Asbury Park on the 'Jersey Shore'."

Erin Moran...wasn't that the name of the girl that played Joanie on Happy Days? Wonder if that's why she changed her name to Eddy...although I wouldn't think most people remember Erin Moran. I sure do though...Duane loved Joanie way before Chachi ever showed up...

Eric - Great call! I sampled the CD on iTunes and liked what I heard, a lot! Then I ordered the physical CD online.

You mentioned Dusty - and absolute all-time favorite of mine - and that breathy delivery is similar in Eddy. Did you know that Dusty had an LP called "A Girl Called Dusty"? A Girl Called Eddy's CD is called "A Girl Called Eddy". Coincidence or fact?

She's also got a Karen Carpenter quality with the "close-to-the-mic" intimate thing going.

There is a hypnotic, mesmerizing quality as you say and I haven't heard full tracks yet.

Thanks for the tip Eric!

SNazz123

Snazz123...this is from the article Marvin linked:

Around the same time, she acquired the name A Girl Called Eddy. "I'm afraid there's no great profundity or mystery to it," she says. "Eddy was just a nickname that stuck and I ripped the girl bit from Dusty Springfield's album."

The whole article is a good read...

Ha! Thanks for that Duane! Given that Eric referenced the Dusty sound and digging deeply into my music library brain stem to pull up that old chestnut Dusty title it WAS indeed a Dusty reference for A Girl Called Eddy. Thanks for that confirmation Duane. Cool!

SNazz123