Tonight You're Mine

Craig Benfer

I would have liked the song more if it was changed to "Stay With Me". That line, "Sleep With Me" is too blunt and non-romantic for the rest of the song. The lyric stands out in a semi-cringe way when I hear it. That's what a drunk guy says to a woman at a bar around closing time. I'm sure Eric debated that lyric back and forth before he made the wrong choice. Oh well, he can't be perfect all the time, except in Darlene's eyes. wink

Tony, I understand what you mean. Maybe the word "Sleep with me" itself is not romantic, but it's more exciting and powerful than to say, "Stay with me". I think that's why Eric chose this one and because of Eric's voice and the beautiful melody, this lyric became the most romantic way to say "I Love You."

Kazumi, You expressed it perfectly! Guys, it's okay to say "Sleep with me," if it comes from an emotion of love or romantic longing. Kazumi's exactly right: The power of those three words is very POSITIVE when it is set the way Eric set it up. In a bar, Tony, the implied words are (I WANT TO SLEEP WITH YOU SO) sleep with me.

But Eric says, "I want to show you just how good it all can be. So if you want my LOVE (operative word that most guys in a bar NEVER think about!) then take my love, and never set me free (the absolute clincher!) I need you so, oh Darling sleep with me.

Now there is nothing but beauty and class within THAT context! Kazumi's right -- VERY powerful but absolutely romantic. (Not at all like closing time in a bar).

wink --Darlene

I was able to listen to John Schneider's Stay With Me. I should have corrected my earlier post (as Ryo) that I wrote a wrong singer's name. Schneider's vocal and the entire feel of the song are rather plain: not as emotional and far less dramatic as Eric's, but the track might make a good transition to the next track that might be a single cut (just my imagination). Because Schneider or his producer chose to arrange the song in the way not to stand out from other tracks (just my guess, too), it's nothing but "Stay With Me" and not "Sleep With Me."

I agree, Sleep with Me was the best song on the album. I also heard the John S. version and it wasn't that bad...of course, he had to clean it up (for all the teenie boppers) However...it's Valentine's Day and at this moment, IWBTLY album is playing on my stereo and it is the perfect music for a romantic evening with my guy. Looking forward to more romantic music from Eric in the near future. Love to all on this message board. May your nights be filled with love, romance and passion. R. Moore

Back when my wife and I were dating, long ago in the days of real vinyl, we would get together with other couples we were friends with and have a get together. I would always record songs from albums and put them into a compilation cassette. Funny, but I remember that when "Fooling Myself" would play, the lights would go real dim and it would get awful quiet in the room.

"Love is all that matters folks", treat your ladies right.