Tonight You're Mine

Craig Benfer

Lastnight, I popped in my "Tonight You're Mine" CD and just couldn't help but think what missed out on had Eric continued to record albums at that stage of his career. In my opinion, that album has the best mixture of ballads and rockers than any other. I think he was really starting to bust out as a recording artist, and it's a shame that he took so much time off until his next release with Geffen. "It Hurts Too Much" and "Foolin Myself" are still among my favorite Carmen tunes. Of course when I was done with that CD, I had to put on the debut album and listen to "All By Myself" (long version) before I went to bed. Will I ever get sick of that song?

Craig, I so agree that "Tonight You're Mine" was awesome. I often grab for that one and listen. I so love some of the cuts.

I don't think Eric took time off on purpose. I'm not sure, but I think there was litigation going on over someone taking the rights to his songs, and it's possible that while it was happening, he was either not allowed to make recordings or was advised not to, in case whoever "took" his rights would take/try to take those of future properties.

I'm sure his taking time off from writing/recording had something to do with that. Bernie could probably clear up why that happened.

It's very sad that such things can happen to gifted artists. I still trust that Eric will be inspired to create the most gorgeous material of his career in times to come.

smile --Darlene

Craig, without a doubt, Tonight You're Mine is the finest album Eric has done to date. Too bad the record label didn't support the effort. I remember when the album came out here in 1980 -- I still ask how It Hurts Too Much got next to no airplay??? Someone dropped the ball.

I agree Kirk. "Sleep With Me" along with the four songs Bernie mentions still rank among his best. I think that the reason this album is often overlooked among Eric fans is because the two fan-favorite songs "All By Myself" and "Boats Against The Current" aren't on it. It really is hard album for me to rank because it doesn't contain my favorite EC song, but it does contain my least favorite one.

Kirk and Craig, Sleep With Me is one of my very favorites too. It's just so beautiful and tender.

Eric is the Master of the bridge. His bridges just take you somewhere and bring you back to where you need to go just perfectly.

Yep, makes me wish really hard for some goodies to come out in 2003...

smile --Darlene

I remember when I first brought "Tonight You're Mine" home from the store I couldn't wait to listen to it- but I had to. My father (who has doctorates in both music and theology) is a composer of sacred and liturgical music, and we were all absolutely FORBIDDEN to listen to rock n roll in the house. I had to wait until my parents had fallen asleep and sneak down to the music room and listen to it with my father's headphones.

I absolutely adored that album from the very first note. I spent all night trying to memorize every song and trying to count up all the times Eric said "HA!". But it was no use, I loved it too much and I was back again the next night, and the next. I don't think I slept for weeks.

I distincly remember getting caught on a few of those nights, but fortunately Dad had no clue what I was listening to. Thank heavens he never caught a glimpse of that album cover! wink

Lyd

It's funny how music can affect parents tho, lol... my mom was rediculously strict, she comes close to Piper Laurie's portrayal of the mother in "Carrie" (I'm serious), yet she had no problem with my being in rock bands as a teen, and playing drums in my high school band at a time when only boys played drums... I think she figured better to have me practicing rock tunes at a bandmember's house than running the streets like most kids did... music was my life, and she always knew where I was, and what I was doing, I'm sure as a parent, that was a lot more than some parents had

Julia, that is just too true about parents and music. One of my brothers was in a band too and they used to practice in our basement! Granted, it was on the nights my dad had choir rehearsal, but he still let them do it.

But parents are full of surprises, too. I remember being unutterably terrified when I was 15 and had to tell my imperious dad, The Rev. Dr. John Dangerfield Cooper, that I, his youngest child, was pregnant. I also remember how stunned and grateful I was when he was so cool and practical about it. (My poor Daddy! to this day he says it's "his fault" for not taking better care of me.) And I eventually realized that he didn't hate rock n roll because it was "evil", but because it commits the unforgivable sin of being "bad music". Go figure!

Lyd

P.S. When my dad heard "Desperate Fools" for the first time a few weeks ago he said, "Now that's music!". And then he surprised ME by knowing "All By Myself!".

As a parent (my son is 28), I can tell you there is no greater love than that of a parent for their child... and no greater joy... I guess even unbelievably strict parents are smart enough to appreciate the value of music, even if it's not *their* music... my son put me thru endless days and nights of BLASTING Nirvana, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, KISS, and more... not exactly my taste, but I never put him down for it, I knew to him, it was important smile

When I first bought Tonight Your Mine (1980, I believe) I was expecting another awful disco album in the vein of Change of Heart, primarily due to the cover. I was pleasantly surprised. This is still my favourite solo album of Eric's and the closest sounding he's made to The Raspberries. It Hurt's Too Much is fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

Ryo, "Sleep With Me" is one of my favorites too.

I can't imagine anyone else covering it or changing the words. I wouldn't like that at all.

I think Eric has the gift for expressing everything so perfectly, that I can't imagine anyone changing his music and getting anything that would even come close. Who else could sing or write a the words "Sleep With Me," and have it come off as a beautiful, classy and sincere song?

smile --Darlene