Plain Dealer columnist on NY shows!!!!

Trindy

Well, well, well. A little birdie must've told Chuck Yarborough over at the Cleveland Plain Dealer about how our boys rocked NYC. Either that, or he just reads Fox News regularly:

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/p....xml&coll=2

This story ran in today's paper as part of his column on page 2 of the Arts & Living section--along with a HUGE color photo of the band.

This, after nobody in Cleveland--not the Plain Dealer, Scene or New Times--bothered to review the Scene Amphitheater concert July 15 at all.

What did I tell you? We take them for granted. Then, when people in New York City tell us it's OK to love our OWN HOMETOWN BAND, out come the praises. Reluctant, but out they come.

I think I'm gonna drop Chuck a little email to point out that they played TWO shows, not one, and that the show Bon Jovi attended was the Sunday show, not the Saturday one. And to say that I was there, and absolutely nothing said about them in that review was exaggerated.

Catch up, Cleveland. This band is back and they are for real.

Yeah, you said it, Bernie...

Unfortunately that attitude is pretty typical of the Cleveland music media scene. For years now, it has been EXTREMELY unhip around here to like Eric, especially. Note that while Chuck can give it up for Wally (at least he has SOME vestiges of musical taste!), he holds Eric's entire solo career against him--and Jim and Dave might as not well exist, for all they show up on his radar...

Yeah, I think I need to tell him exactly what happened in NY according to this admittedly biased observer...and tell him that if he'd ever actually put his prejudices aside and GO to a Raspberries concert just once, he might just learn what everyone else already knows...that ERIC ROCKS. And so does Dave. And so does Jim. And when you take the three of them and you add Wally...need more be said?

errr now wait a minute. There were 2300 to 3000 people to see one show at Nautica. The second BB King's show had tickets available until close to show date and this was with many attending both shows and a market that is 8 to 10 times bigger than NE Ohio.

I still think at this time their main base is still in NE Ohio. As word gets out hopefully the ball will really start rolling but do not trash NE Ohio for not supporting this reunion as the numbers say otherwise.

I agree with you, Argee. I think Ohio shows great support for the boys. The crowd at The Scene were excited, vocal and on their feet. And I would bet there were a lot *more* Ohioans who would have gone if they had only known about the gig. Putting aside the opinion of one deejay, Raspberries are Cleveland's favorite sons, and Ohio's too.

smile --Darlene

Hang on. First...about the media. There were NO reviews of that concert after it took place in the local media...not one. And Scene just ran the results of its Cleveland music poll, and I think you can guess which band didn't show up on it...not even once!

Second. The crowd at Nautica was good, but I guess I'm thinking that the support the locals show the Berries is like nothing compared to what the Michael Stanley Band used to get in their heyday...now that was a band that could sell out the (no longer in existence) Richfield Coliseum two nights in a row, but could barely sell a ticket outside of Cleveland...it was always very, very hip here to like them, though, even if no one outside town had ever heard of them.

Raspberries? I think they are still tainted somewhat by a) a lot of people's attitude toward Eric's solo career and B) by the real old-timers by the "I used to be able to see them for a buck at the Agora in 1970, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 50 times that much to see them now" attitude.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just what I sense. From some people, anyway. Obviously, not all. But I live here, and I can tell you what people who DON'T go to Raspberries concerts think and feel. And the vast majority of them would probably just say, when hearing the band's name mentioned, "Who?" You can't go by the sample of Clevelanders you find at their actual concerts. They ARE the loyal diehards. But there aren't as many of them as there could be. And let's be real...when you fly into Cleveland from some other city and you go to a Raspberries show, that's what you see. Us die-hards. We look and sound impressive, but how many of us are there?

But how many 40 or 50 and over folks even read the Scene anymore? I know I don't. Its a younger crowd that is looking at the local "hip" scene and of course they are not going to vote for an old man band that was apart for 30 plus years. Hell, most of the younger folk I know consider Green Day an old band!

As for MSB, they were lucky that they had WMMS backing them to the hilt, unlike what they did for Raspberries and maybe if the Berries had stayed together it might have changed but I doubt it.

I remember getting into an off air argument (over the phone) with Jeff Kinzbach one morning about how WMMS was shunning a lot of good POP acts as they were not "heavy" enough and I told him that IF the Beatles had arrived on the scene in the mid 70's they would have gotten little or no airplay as they too were "pop" on the earlier stuff. Of course he disagreed and then played Maggot Brain.

I will give Kid Leo a nod though. He played The Smithereens, The Records, Artful Dodger, Shoes and others in between Bruce and Southside Johnnie.

But I agree, IF WMMS had pushed as hard behind the Raspberries as they did MSB, Cleveland would have responded in greater numbers.

And lets not forget the Scene polls during the late 70's thru the 80's that had Raspberries listed as the greatest Cleveland band of all time.

Trindy, did you see Carl Monday at the Nautica show? He was sitting two rows right behind Bernie and he is probaly the best historian of Cleveland home based music and he sure had a center stage seat.

And it should be noted that when WMMS really became a radio powerhouse the Berries had already broken up. 'MMS really started to hit its stride around 76, 77.

IRC, WIXY 1260 A.M. was the station that really played Don't Want To Say Goodbye and Go All the Way in heavy rotation after the debut album in the early 70's but alas A.M. was on its last gasps by then.

Argee--of course you have a point, but I actually do read Scene--although it's far from the paper I used to read. I remember back when it was still a local music rag and not just one of a chain of crusading "alternative weeklies" thumbing its nose at the mainstream media (and when half of it wasn't sex hotline and classified ads and ads for gentlemen's clubs). Kid Leo supported Eric as a solo act (pretty amazing when I look back--he couldn't have gotten away with being so "uncool" today and neither could WMMS or M105, for that matter), but it was always MSB who got the big local kudos, and of course they lasted way longer. I don't remember the Scene polls that called the Berries the best local band of all time.

I didn't see Carl Monday but I know he went to the reunion show as well. He's a big supporter of the band, always has been--which is nice to know.

It's good to see Eric expressing his beliefs and defending his legacy...Getting into the mix! It's about time!

Now, If Bernie would lighten up on the censor button, maybe we could mix it up here a bit more?

Come on. I can understand the first one was bad-taste history...But just making fun of Springsteen lyrics gets the axe? crying

Tony,

You can make fun of anyone's lyrics you choose --ONLY-- if you start a valid thread in the appropriate area of the message board. I can't let errant posts reign unchecked or there won't be any order here. I hope you understand :-) There is no way for me to move a single post, even if it's fine and dandy, but in the wrong thread. So be careful where you're sticking your comments and everyone will be happier in the long run.

Bernie

Ok this doesn't follow the thread, but in reply to Tony's post, even I'll agree with that assessment, and I've been the biggest supporter of Springsteen's music on this site for years. There is no doubt that Bruce beats just about anyone in concert, but there is also no doubt (at least in my mind) that the passion, lyrical images and realism he brings into songs like "The Promised Land", "Backstreets", "No Surrender",...the list is really endless, is unrivaled.

Marv

Whether you out of towners want to hear it or not, Trindy is right in her assessment of the Clevelanders view of Raspberries. Yes, there were 2500-3000 people there on the 15th. Some probably went for the first time because they finally did not care what other people thought. After all, most of us are in our 50's now. I was disappointed in that there was no reviews of the show, considering 1 radio station "sponsored" the show and another was giving away tickets to the show.

While many Clevelanders can now "remember" the boys, all you have to do is listen to the 1973 Agora concert and hear the "warm" welcome they received when being introduced. People who went to the show were not even sure if it was OK to clap and enjoy themselves. Most of the problem was considerable jealousy and the alternative sound of the music, even though most of the Cleveland scene aprreciated/practiced great vocal harmonies.

Right on Trindy!

..."bruce beats about anyone in concert".......

really marvin, you're starting to sound like a ten year old who got his favorite ballplayers autograph....

NOT IF YOU DONT LIKE THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!

and i would almost bet that from the years of posts that i have read on this board that we may have more non fans than fans....

Oh my......so some people like Bruce, others don't what is the big deal...some people eat beef some don't, everyone is entitled to like or dislike whomever or whatever they want. What is the point of arguing about it? So, if you don't like Bruce thats ok, if you do thats ok too. This is a Equal opportunuty website , please people live and let live, there is way too much going on in this world that is so much more important then to worry about little things like others taste in music.

Oh my......so some people like Bruce, others don't what is the big deal...some people eat beef some don't, everyone is entitled to like or dislike whomever or whatever they want. What is the point of arguing about it? So, if you don't like Bruce thats ok, if you do thats ok too. This is a Equal opportunuty website , please people live and let live, there is way too much going on in this world that is so much more important then to worry about little things like others taste in music.

Exactly right, Little Sis! It's all subjective. Count me among those who like Bruce. He's not in my top 10, but I like a lot of his songs and have several of his CDs.

Jack

I'm curious about a couple of things: what was the capacity of the venue for the July 15th concert?

Was it far less than filled? Was the crowd far less enthusiastic than the NY crowd?

I think BBK's capacity was somewhere around 800-900 and more New Yawkas would see a Saturday show than a Sunday (having to go to work on Monday - certainly my hubby's case)

I've seen the Boss several times in concert over the years. He gives it all every time. BUT - I've never been as moved and carried away for days afterwards as I did 7/24/05. By any band.

Boston, Chicago at PNC Arts Center were phenomenal concerts. It just wasn't the same as the boys.

One of the things I love about us is our musical diversity...baby sister is one hundred percent on target..let's embrace the similarities and differences.

Most of us are too old for that negative crap anyway!!! laughhaha