moon-esque drumming

For the Raspberries-savvy crowd out there --

and those into drumming --

I've rediscovered Overnight Sensation, a tune I loved as a young teenager. Never had the record, but I would get all fired up when it came on my old tube radio in my bedroom in Wisconsin back in the summer of '74. I had a friend who played guitar in my first band (hey Kirby!) that was the biggest Raspberries fan around and I got to go over to his house a few times to hear it as well.

I always loved the structure of the song, but as a drummer I was struck not only by the sheer bombast of the drumming (Michael McBride?), but the sound of the drums as well. I'm picturing the bottom heads off of the toms, top heads loose and without muffling, and struck with the butt ends of the sticks -- with force! (could be wrong about all this, but that's what it sounds like).

Listening to it afresh after all these years I am in some amazement by this drumming. It does rather sound as if the drummer had been listening to the Who's Quadrophenia from the same period. Whether he was seeking to cop that drumming style or not, it is one of the few noteworthy approximations to Keith Moon's drumming I have ever heard.

I confess my ignorance and draw on your passion about these matters to help me with the following questions:

1) Does the entire Starting Over album contain this drum style and sound (excepted by any slower/softer pieces of course)?

2) Has the drumming ever come under criticism -- either positive or negative. Has it been a matter of discussion and have fans distinguished it from the drumming on the previous albums when discussing their likes and preferences? Has the likeness to Keith Moon ever come up (again, I don't know if this is just on Overnighst Sensation or the whole album).

I am most curious and fascinated with this. Weigh in!!!

Nice to be "on board."

Dennis P. Macheel

San Francisco

welcome dmfootworks!!!!!!!

i love mike mcbrides drumming on "overnight sensation"...it's almost random....like first or second take....

i agree that you could call it "moon"esque...as a matter of fact one review of starting over made a few who references. i dont remember starting over having that kind of drumming other than OS.

although, it seems there may have been more drum emphasis in the production than in the previous 'berry lps.

i dont remember starting over having that kind of drumming other than OS.

although, it seems there may have been more drum emphasis in the production than in the previous 'berry lps.

WELL, MOST DEFINITLEY ON "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT" AND IN PARTS OF "PLAY ON" AND "I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE YOU'RE MINE".... ALSO, FOR MORE MOON-ESQUE DRUMMING CHECK OUT "ECSTASY" FROM "SIDE 3" WHICH FEATURES JIM BONFANTI...THIS STYLE OF PLAYING IS KEY TO THE BAND'S MO WHICH WAS TO BLEND THE POWER OF THE WHO WITH THE MELODIC SENSE OF THE BEACH BOYS... WITHOUT THE 'OUT OF CONTROL' MOON-ESQUE DRUMMING, IT WOULDN'T BE AS INTENSE OF A SONIC EXPERIENCE...ERGO THE MAGIC OF THE 'BERRIES