GATW - PLAINJANE Version - Thumbs Up, or Down?

I voted 'for' it. There is a trade-off; better production on this version versus the raw emotion and sincerity of the original, but this effort is better than 95% of the covers I have heard. Kirk.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard the "plain Jane" version yet, but would like to...

Incidentally, I went out and sang karaoke, and tried out GATW. You think that, after hearing the song thousands of times, you would know it inside out.

Really tough! Even if the disc worked(it was skipping). Discovered some new nuances in the backup vocals that I didn't know was there..

I really like this version and think they really nailed the vocals.This singer made it his own.The background vocals I think are even stronger than the original.The guitars definetly rock and there is certainly more bottom end.I think that this is as good of a job as anyone could do remaking such a great classic song.The production reminds me of the way that Mott the Hooples All the Way From Memphis was redone in the 80's.I think this is done equally as well.

Haven't heard the "plain Jane" version yet, but would like to...

Incidentally, I went out and sang karaoke, and tried out GATW. You think that, after hearing the song thousands of times, you would know it inside out.

Really tough! Even if the disc worked(it was skipping). Discovered some new nuances in the backup vocals that I didn't know was there..

Hey man, I went to a karoake club in Kyoto last week and did my EC impression to the hilt! I sang "All By Myself" and the Japanese hostesess were looking at each other and going "no, that's not _him_ is it? No, it can't be him - he's not fat like that" etc. etc. I almost choked while I was singing, it was so funny!

Billy K I don't remember the name of the goup.It was the early 90's or late 80's.The video ran for a while on mtv.I bought the cassingle and might still have it somewhere.

The mott version was more piano based this version was more guitar based.