Overnight Sensation or Good Vibrations?

Steveh

I can't say I dislike the Beach Boys, but I never went out and purchased anything they've recorded. As for Good Vibrations, that "vibrations" sound -is it a Theramin?(sp) always makes me feel queasy. frown

BTW, has anyone ever heard the Beach Boys perform it live? Overnight Sensation rocks just as much live as it does on the recording!

Lyd

My opinion on the Beach Boys is this: most of their songs had a nice melody, they made happy-sounding, summery songs, they rarely sang songs that made me cringe. But I don't think I've ever bought a Beach Boys record - they really don't do anything "special" for me. My favorite BB song is Good Vibrations.

Steveh

Unfortunately there are too many people who associate the Beach Boys with those 'summer songs.' As simplistic as even those songs may sound, they are incredibly difficult to copy. I've played in Beach Boys cover bands and the vocals are so complex, it makes you wonder how Brian Wilson ever thought of the arrangements.

The hard-core BB fans know their other not-so-famous music, such as the amazing "Pet Sounds", "Sunflower",and "Today" albums and from the 1970's, "Love You." These are all classic albums that should be in every music lovers collection. It is sad that the BB's will never receive the mass acclaim that their peers such as the Beatles have received when you consider that many would argue that Brian Wilson was the greater creative genius because he did just about everything himself. Alas, at least Eric will agree with me!

MARVIN

Last summer I saw all the Beach Boys tunes faithfully done to perfection by (don't laugh) the Beach Toys. We were at the Kern county fair and here were these guys, from So. Cal., that looked like the B.B., dressed like the B.B.- a true tribute band. They did "Good Vibrations" to the note. P.S.- I love the Beach Boys, but "Overnight Sensation" is kicking butt @ 13-1. Kirk.

this reminds me of the who's better paul mccartney or eric discussion.

as for good vibrations/overnight sensation...

one set the standard, one further develops it.

for the record, "pet sounds" sctually influenced the beatles. mccartney himself said he cried when he heard "god only knows". pretty high praise.

i'm with you marvin (hey where's my kyle vincent review?)...any pop lover should have "pet sounds" in their collection.

thanks greg

I agree with Marvin too. I think Pet Sounds is a

staple for any music lover. I loved the Beach Boys

and before that, when I was 18 (don't laugh) The Lettermen! (Nobody even remembers them, but high school girls flipped over their romantic versions

of "Summer Song" and "Portrait of My Love.")

After The Lettermen, I graduated to loving The Beach Boys. I knew the music was pretty complex,

even though it didn't seem that way on the surface. I went to great pool parties at the home

of my parent's neighbors and still remember one of

our local celebrities (he wasn't then), football

player Joe Theismann saying "God Only Knows" was

his favorite song. I have a picture of him with a

towel wrapped over his bathing suit,arms around one of his friends, singing it together.

Even then we knew The Beach Boys were great.

But when I discovered Raspberries and Eric at age

24, it was all over. I had found my icons.

smile --Darlene

Hmmmmmmmmm. The Beach Boys...I don't think I've heard of these guys. Does this "Pet Sounds" CD actually have animal sounds on it? I love the sounds that a goat makes. Did he use goats? But what is so genius about putting your backyard pets on a pop album? I mean, Alvin and the Chipmunks were a cute novelty in the '50s, but I was never that impressed. My friend recorded a Christmas CD a few years ago using real sampled farts and belches for the melody lines. he called it "Christmas in the Air" Now that's Genius! Let's see this Brian Wilson guy do that! eek

Somehow we've drifted off the "Good Vibrations" -"Overnight Sensation" topic! Even though I believe "GV" to be the more overall musically strong song, I just can't get that addictive melody of "OS" out of my head!

"Endless Summer" was the first BB album that my dad bought me and was my introduction to the band. That was 1974 and since then I've listened to almost everything that the BB's ever released. I really don't believe that any band has been able to match their intricate vocal arrangements. Over the years there have been many great harmony bands such as the Eagles and CSN, but in today's musical world, the only band that I've heard even come close to the BB's (as far as harmony singing goes)is Venice, who by the way, do a killer BB medley.

MARVIN