Marathon Man: Best Books of the Year!

Raspbernie

Upon hearing the news, Eric said, "The reason it's 'Book of the Year' is because when Bernie Hogya and Ken Sharp decided to create this book they really wanted it to be as perfect as they could possible make it. They were on a mission and it shows on every page. Lots of people write books every year but very few take the time and effort to address every issue from the content to the art direction. It's a beautiful book. I'm honored to have been the subject. Congrats to both of them. They deserve it."

Bernie :-)

Ditto. There's a letter (Eric's) for you and Ken to frame, Bernie. TONIGHT is a great read.

(PS: I disciplined myself into waiting until Christmas morning to read it, which was tough. After my daughters ripped into S. Claus's deliveries on Dec. 25, they spent the afternoon playing... and I spent the afternoon reading. As someone who got shut out of the 2005 tour, I sure valued the chance to have a peek inside the gigs.... Without a doubt, I won't miss out on the 2006 tour.)

I loved "Marathon Man".....I couldn't put it down once I picked it up to read!

I proselytized some by shipping the book to a friend. He's not really an Eric Carmen fan (yet)but is trying to make it in the music business. I thought the book was extremely interesting from a fan's standpoint. But also in telling Eric Carmen's story, the book depicted the tremendous challenge that is "the journey to make it" in the music industry.

I highly recommend the book to anyone who is an Eric Carmen or Raspberry fan, or who just wants to get an exciting, in depth look at the journey to "makin it" in the music biz.

• 3 weeks later...

Tony,

It's an ok book (imo). More along the lines of a scrapbook. Filled with xeroxed (and some not too clear)copies of already published newspaper reviews and articles. Some cool pictures. At the time it was published, it was the only thing available in print about the Berries. I think the two recent books from Bernie & Ken pretty much cover the same material, and as we all know, the quality is top shelf. Not that Overnight Sensation isn't worth having for the ultimate Berrie fan, but a lot of the material will be repeated.

Cubfan,

Don't get me wrong, The book is fine. I just feel that Marathon Man & Tonight are extremely good and the pictures are excellent. Overnight Sensation (The Story of The Raspberries)is just not up to the quality level of the two recent books. As I said before, it has some cool pictures, and as Bernie says, it has a lot of pre-berrie stuff in it. I'm just not fond of the xeroxed pages/scrapbook style. Believe me, it took me two years to get a copy of it, and when it finally came, I was a happy camper. I just find myself going to the 2 new books a lot more often than the first one. Again, just my opinion. spin

Ecstacy, You're really giving those kids a great musical education! I can't wait to meet you at the next Berries concert!

The book deserves all the awards it can possibly garner; it *certainly* deserves THIS one! Thanks, Angloberry, for sharing the blow-by-blow descriptions with us! Congratulations again, Bernie and Ken!

smile --Darlene

In my opinion, Marathon Man gives a more in-depth, comprehensive look at Eric and the band. I can't say I'm not enjoying Overnight Sensation, though. It is more like a scrapbook of sorts but that makes it kind of fun to look through in it's own way. Also, Marathon Man is told in story format with quotes intermixed. Overnight Sensation is more of a question-and-answer format to specific questions.

I'm still in the "primary stage" of reading "Marathon Man", but I don't see any overlap of information in the books written by Bernie/Ken. I've read (in total) "Overnight Sensation" and I agree with the previous comments. Having grown up in east-Cleveland during the Choir/Cyrus Erie/Raspberries hey-day (yes! I was a lucky one!), I'm totally enjoying "Marathon Man" and I think Bernie & Ken are geniouses to capture the brilliance of every moment of that era!

I am so proud of you guys, Bernie and Ken. I know you wrote Marathon Man out of Love and it really shows. Eric loves the book and thinks you guys did a wonderful job on it and we all love it, I haven't heard a bad word written yet. Well now Record Collector has gone ahead and honored your book as well. I am so happy for you guys. I have to say you had a great subject to work with. wink

June

I've read "Overnight Sensation", loved the whole thing, background and pictures.

Reading "Marathon Man" right now, almost done, speaks volumns for the entertainment business. Anyone contemplating the field should have this as required reading.

Now I need to get my hands on "Tonight", I understand it is outstanding.

Drew

It's AMAZING! And getting your hands on one will be easy to do. There's an Eric-autographed copy in the lot of the Garage Sale Auction, for starters, and Bernie surely must have some left if you want a guaranteed copy. There's a link, probably on the homepage. Good Luck! You'll LOVE it!

smile --Darlene

• 8 months later...