LAST CHANCE FOR BERRIES INTERNET CD / DVD!!

Al K

I say make and sell all you can -- whatever the market will bear. While there are more fans out there wanting the sets, why not make them happy? I was fortunate enough to get one of the 300 sets and will not be upset if more are sold. Ultimately, the fans are showing support for the band. Financially, the Raspberries never saw the dollars they should have from those early days. It is nice to see them getting recognition and (hopefully) make some money for their efforts!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people!!! if i was eric,i'ld be thinking what the hell is the big deal to make this thread so huge w/all the bickering!!! sorry,but i think it's getting out of hand w/all the legality talk and whining...i'm gettin my copy at the store,and i'm gonna be very thankful to say the least just to get anything neww from these guys!!(yeah,i'm one of the ones who simply could'nt afford the offer after the holidays!)..i'm thankful they're still here,and did it before it was too late!! lol,chris

I just hope that the fans, not the ebayers, get it. I've been to a couple of events where the same guy in long hair is handing Eric 15 albums to sign, and I know he's throwing it up on ebay.

Us guys that actually value the product or autograph for our own use are at risk of getting lost in the shuffle.

I guess no problem here, but put's Eric in a pickle. My observations are EC is very patient, knowing that 95% are true fans.

S

Good point Chris! I too was not able to afford the DVD set. I wish I could, but not with a child in college. Tuition bill came just before Christmas.

I hope to purchase a copy when it is in the music stores.

I am happy that I do have a lot of Eric's LPs and 45s that I can play.

I do wish though that more of his music would be available to download to a MP3.

It may be a better marketing tool for the next release that the First edition to sold out so quickly.

Supply and demand... I would consider buying the next addition as a gifts for others.

I know friends that I would give the set as a gift. But at Holiday time we were are all focused on other expenses and charity obligations.

MAKE MORE WE WILL COME

heartpump

steve,u do have good points,i think the band has probally thought about this in the beginning when they toyed w/the idea of the project as a whole..i truly think after getting screwed for so many years..they do'nt care as much cause this is for them..AND the loyal fans..but i do think the guys will be better protected this time due to A VERY LONG learning process for thirty years plus!!!..i think they've learned w/maturity...as we all have!!..lol,chris

people!!! if i was eric,i'ld be thinking what the hell is the big deal to make this thread so huge w/all the bickering!!!

I can't speak for Eric, but if I was the subject of a long thread where 95% or more were trying to find ways for me to make a greater profit on my work, I'd probably be thrilled that so many fans and friends were interested in my welfare.

But that's probably just me. lol, Paulie wink

It may be a better marketing tool for the next release that the First edition to sold out so quickly.

Supply and demand... I would consider buying the next addition as a gifts for others.

I know friends that I would give the set as a gift. But at Holiday time we were are all focused on other expenses and charity obligations.

MAKE MORE WE WILL COME

heartpump

I would have loved to gotten more, but in reality one of the "main" LE set is fine for me. When the "retail" set comes out, I'll probably be in for three or four of them... one to keep in my vehicle and a couple for gifts to some near and dear friends.

I got a feeling that not too many of us are gonna be "one and out" for this release. laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by chris hess:

people!!! if i was eric,i'ld be thinking what the hell is the big deal to make this thread so huge w/all the bickering!!!

I can't speak for Eric, but if I was the subject of a long thread where 95% or more were trying to find ways for me to make a greater profit on my work, I'd probably be thrilled that so many fans and friends were interested in my welfare.

But that's probably just me. lol, Paulie wink

I agree Paulie. Besides, I don't think anyone here was bickering - it's just coming up with ways to help the band overall. I think that most of us are in agreement that each of us doesn't have a problem with the LE being extended - I personally am not bothered by it in the least. Besides, wouldn't the e-bayers be more likely to get the ones that are slated for commerical released? That's not to say that they haven't already snapped up a few of the LE releases.

In essence the more cd/dvds that are made available the better it is for the band. Forget all the legal stuff - I think it's already been discussed in more ways than one.

HT

PART 2 of 2

If you don't collect and/or follow the autograph market, you probably don't fully appreciate the value of celeb signatures. But it's a pretty strong market in terms of spending....

Believe me, buying autographs second-hand can be tricky. Collectors ALWAYS prefer to get 'em in person, but that's not always possible. Next best thing: Buy from a totally trustworthy source. (We have that here.) Otherwise, you can never be sure a "sig" is authentic --- as opposed to forged, or made with an auto-pen, or signed by an assistant or secretary.

What's the real value of an item signed by all four Raspberries? The group sold many of those autographed lithographs of the first album cover for what I thought was a reasonable price: $70. (Yep, I have one framed here in my office.) So there's a real value we can assign to a Raspberries-autographed item: $70.

Sometimes I see 'berries-signed items sell on eBay for more, and sometimes less, but I'm never 100% sure they're real. With the litho offered at EC.com, I was 100% sure, so it was worth the $70. In fact, I thought it was a little underpriced. But that's because I tend to pay attention to musicians' autograph values.

I could quote you some "book values" of autographs, but I always like pointing to auction results; they give you real prices paid. So... here's a look at realized prices from a December auction at It's Only RocknRoll.com:

* $48: Eminem 8X10 signed photo (PS: And do not tell me the Raspberries' sigs aren't a whole lot more valuable than Eminem's!)

* $108: Jimmy Buffett signed 8x10 photo

* $120: Alice Cooper signed document

* $147: Billy Joel signed sheet music ("River of Dreams")

* $210: Mick Jagger signed 8x10 B&W photo

* $218 Jerry Lee Lewis signed 8x10 B&W photo

* $240: Phil Spector signed check (cancelled)

* $387: Fugs signed scrap of paper from 1968

* $436: Elton John signed letter

* $437: Bob Dylan signed index card

* $508: David Cassidy signed contract

* $528: Seinfeld cast signed photo (threw that in for fun)

* $585: Eric Clapton signed 8x10 color photo

* $612: Madonna signed contract

* $726: Paul McCartney signed "Driving Rain" poster

* $7,343: Beatles signed promotional card

* $11,313: Check signed by both Lennon & McCartney

* $115,230: Meet The Beatles LP inscribed by all four Beatles to George Harrison's sister in 1964 (airtight "provenance"!).

Clearly, an item signed by all four Raspberries puts a hefty amount of value into this package. That's why I've defended the price --- several times now. Hope this helps a little bit.....

this is a long thread, but i'll just chime in for being on the record, as honest feedback helps in any situation:

price: too high by a substantial amount, tho' i bought into it. why? to support, encourage, & thank the band, & to obviously enjoy the material/media (missed the live shows being here in texas)

glaring oversight: for the price, a copy of the book TONIGHT should absolutely be included, especially w/ it's tie-in to the harmonic reconvergence of the band ...

PART 1 of 2

confused I don't know what it is that's not sinking in about the value of the limited edition package.... I'm sorry, but I just don't see how anybody could call it overpriced!

I have a feeling that what you're not "getting" is the value of one certain component: the autographs. More on that in a minute. But first, let's break it down piece by piece, so you can get a feel for why I (and others) think it's a good value.

I'll be conservative on these guesstimates. And I'll offer a couple of disclaimers:

1) I'm not entirely sure what the "behind the scenes" and "Hangin' With" footage/music entails, but I'll assume it's one DVD (might be two, for all I know, but again, I'll be conservative).

2) I don't know what the "audio recording of a 1973 Armed Forces Radio Network concert" entails, but I'll assume it's a single CD.

So....

ITEM: TYPICAL RETAIL PRICE

* CD (21 tracks): $15

* DVD (21 tracks): $20

* Armed Forces CD: $15

* Behind the Scenes DVD: $20

* Extras (Pin, lyrics repro, etc.): $10 (for sake of argument)

* Autographs: $50-$150 (see below)

* Other potential extras: who knows?

TOTAL: $130-$230 (not counting "other potential extras")

Clearly (in my opinion), it's the autographs that tip the scale and make the price not only reasonable, but a great deal. Make no mistake: A Raspberries-signed item is special. You can't go out and buy one at the mall, music store, or Wal-Mart.

The autographs are very nice, and I will love to add some to my collection. It's a wonderful thing. The main thing that excited me about it is I'm a concert junkie and I love seeing concerts, hearing concerts and seeing concert photos. If the band is nice enough to extend the offer, can somebody please kick me in the head so I don't sleep through the next offering? Please?

Maggie,

Keep checking RASPBERRIESONLINE.COM for updates on the limited edition DVD. EricCarmen.com is Eric's website, and even though Eric posts here frequently, and we actively promote everything Eric and Raspberries, the DVD sets were never on sale here. EC.com just provided a link to the RaspberriesOnline website where it could be purchased. That website, officially sanctioned by all FOUR bandmembers, was set up specifically to promote the recent Raspberries reunion, the live CD/DVD and any future concerts.

Bernie

My sister, Maryanne and I both purchased the DVD immediately....there was NO WAY we were going to let this deal slip away. We enjoyed the reunion tour so much and wanted to experience all those great feelings over and over and over and over.

As others have said....why should we care if others get the chance to purchase the DVD too? The more people who LOVE the Berries...the better the chance at future tour dates! I'm always talking about the NYC and Atlantic City shows....it was so awesome, I feel like it was only yesterday.

Count me in on those who believe you should offer the DVD to those who were shut out.

Robin

What number did we leave it at to approve of a new LE set--291? Count me as #291. That said, I'm sure the guys will check into the legality of it all to avoid any hint of a problem.

Whatever they decide, I'm sure it will be a fair way to satisfy everyone. They've bent over more than backwards to do that all the way along this amazingly exciting ride!

As for the "outrageous" cost, I didn't read the meaning of that post as being that the package was "outrageous," but rather that $125 is an "outrageous" amount for someone to come up with in these economic times if they cannot afford it.

I was amazed at the many rare gems included in the package. I think we all agree that the package is worth much more than that and I'm sure the guys will come up with a solution to keep everyone happy. We all seem to be of one mind that we're thrilled to have as many people discover and support Raspberries as is possible in this world.

And the dream continues to be realized... spin

Happy Raspberries New Year, everyone!!!

smile --Darlene

I tend to "recruit" everywhere I go. I sing Raspberries praises to anyone that will let me go on and on and on...... I have no problem with anyone getting a chance to own this wonderful treasure. As my big sis says. The more people out there craving the music the better shot we all have of a future show, or concert. As far as the price goes we all have our priorities. Mine happens to be RASPBERRIES. Some people spend a fortune on golf, or lottery tickets!....... This was money well spent for me and I'll have a reminder of how happy these reunion shows made me. I would have paid any amount to relive the experience over and over!!! Maryanne

Does that make me # 300?

Eric and the guys....sell some more and make your fans happy! It's still limited! They'll never be enough of this great item.

I am glad to have been one of the first to buy one and I can't wait til Spring....and, not just for the weather this year!

Best To All....

Don

To play devil's advocate, and counterpoint to LC's suggested retail values, let's examine also the wholesale cost in producing this item:

DVD with clamshell shrinkwrapped ea $2-3

CD with case shrinkwrapped ea $1-2

(costs are actually higher on a short run, generally pressing plants ask for 500 minimum, with 1000 costing only a few bucks more, since the setup time is expensive, and the costs are greatly reduced if they use paper sleeves & no shrink, you can get them for maybe 1/2 my estimate)

Paper xeroxes as low as .2 ea

8x10 glossy .6 each

Autographs? Well, there just was a Raspberries 8x10 autographed on ebay, unsold at $24.99, and 2 Eric Carmen LPs signed, unsold at .99. Autographs to me only meen something to me when obtained hand to hand in person, it's like a proof of having met that person. Cost in production=nil.

(autographs on paper are not valued the same as the $70 litho, LC)

Raspberries pin? If it's the same one from the site, they cost about .25 to make each.

actual production costs? somewhere around what they are charging for shipping, $10.

While I would have loved to own this, I'm sorry, I can't blow a week's food budget on this. I think that the DVD should be sold separately, it's unfair, IMHO, to force us to buy a number of things we don't want or can't afford just to see the DVD. After a year of being hyped up on this, I am bitterly disappointed that greed seems to be controlling this release, instead of thinking of the fans, including many of your longtime posters here that simply could not come up with $135 days before christmas. I urge the band to reconsider, and release the 21 song concert DVD alone for $25 or so.It would represent another $20,000 more in profit to the band, and mitigate some of the bad feelings this elitist offering seems to have created. Especially since the 300 have sold out, there is no risk to the band, and I can live without the extras. I have no interest in the retail 19 song CD with 5 song DVD, as it's just a tease, and will only frustrate & annoy me, so I'll just skip buying this item altogether.

And even though I don't own it, I think they should either create a new separate package, as some of the customers above that put themselves thru hardship to obtain this item will undoubtedly get mad.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have held back for weeks from posting my true feelings on this. I understand the band feels it was ripped off their entire career, but it's not the fan's fault. I hope you can understand my disappointment with the way this whole deal was handled Eric.