Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs think Raspberries

There's been talk here about the CD "Under The Covers, Volume 1" by Matthew Sweet ("Girlfriend") and Susanna Hoffs (of The Bangles).

Found an interview with Matthew Sweet at http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/news/article/0,,3622500,00.html

A couple of Question and Answer items from the ArtistDirect.Com (AD) interview with Matthew Sweet (MS):

--------------------------------------------------

AD: The songs range from 1964 to 1969, but then a jump to 1972 for the Bee Gee's "Run To Me." Was this song so essential to the album that you had to jump decades?

MS: “We didn't plan it based on years! We even had some later ones, like "Go All the Way" by the Raspberries. Mostly it ended up in mid to late '60s.â€

AD: “If you were to make another covers album of predominantly '70s songs, what are a couple essentials? Or should I wait for the next album?â€

MS: Well, something by the Raspberries. There are a few possibilites, probably Television. It would be hard as the '70s really span two distinct eras in music. And then there was the prog rock. Maybe Sue singing "Starship Troopers" by Yes. Plastic Ono Band. George Harrison. We could do an album for every year!

-------------------------------------------------

Sounds like Raspberries will have something covered on Volume 2!

Don smile

If you (Eric or anyone else) were to ask Matthew and Susanna to cover a certain Raspberries tune, what would be your choice(s). On first thought, I'd love to hear them tackle "Don't Want To Say Goodbye," but "Let's Pretend" would be an interesting duet choice, too.

Don smile

i just happened to buy that CD two days ago!

they picked some tasty gems like velvet underground's "sunday morning" and even the zombies "care of cell #44". eric will be glad to know that they covered the left banke's "she may call you up tonight".

however...

i STILL don't know how to take this album. it's reverent to the structures of the songs...including the 'offtiming' of the intro to "the kids are alright", and modal D tuning to "cinammon girl". but then again - there's no damn 'energy' to the performances.

they did "monday, monday"...nothing like taking on a challenging arrangement. but they fall WAY short on the vocal arrangements in the bridge.

same thing with "warmth of the sun"...IMHO, that song is UNTOUCHABLE and should never be covered by anybody anywhere. matthew doesn't capture the falsetto sound at all. and the guitar noodling is irritating.

"run to me" from the bee gees is definitely a highlight.

the 'sterile/processed' production sound seems to be the thing bothering me the most. it doesn't sound ENOUGH like a bangles record...more like a matthew sweet record.

i think the matt & bangle would mangle "let's pretend". they should stick with "go all the way". or have some fun with 'overnight sensation'.

I agree that it sounds like a Sweet record - that's probably due to the fact that they recorded it in his home studio, using a lot of the guys (Ivan Julian, Richard Lloyd and the great drummer Ric Menck) who have played on his solo records.

Also, I have heard that they are already recording Volume 2...

It really would be so great to hear them do Go All The Way in Volume 2. I bet it would be a hit all over again... which would see stations playing the original, which would spark more interest, which would mean a tour to support the new live Raspberries CD... which features, of course, Go All The Way!

I vote for "Let's Pretend", a song that Susanna could bring her own distinct style to. Eric and Susanna have such unique voices that I think it would be a terrific cover for her, with Matthew handling some multi-layered harmonies in the background.

BTW, she does an incredible job on "Cell Block #44". I could listen to her sing like that all day.

.......i can't think of anyone who could cover "go all the way" and get away with it......

mamacote & moi have discussed this before.... and no one seems to understand how untouchable of a song "go all the way" is... it's more than the sum of its parts-- which is tough to explain... all i know is that whenever anyone has tried to cover it, it has sounded dreadful or boring...

since we're talking about sid & susie, i think bahoodore had it right w/ his choices... "let's pretend" might fall short unless they could muster a good amount of emotion...

BTW, she does an incredible job on "Cell Block #44". I could listen to her sing like that all day.

ALSO...

FYI: Susie fans & Bangles fans... You must seek out & hear the RAINY DAY record she performs on... it's from 1983 (on Llama Records) and it's an LA "supergroup" consisting of many of the old paisley underground scene... Susanna does an amazing version of the Velvet Underground's "I'll Be Your Mirror" (arguably the best version of the song) & Bob Dylan's "I'll Keep It With Mine."