Raspberries: The Clunker List...

I, like Tony, am biased toward Eric Carmen. He is my favorite artist of all time....case closed and nobody else is close.

But having said that, I saw him in concert a couple times and as a solo act, he did not hold a candle to the Raspberries concert I saw in Chicago. Billing the band as "Eric Carmen and The Raspberries" would be cheap, phony and B.S.

But Eric Carmen is the star, leader and genius of the band and the one who had success post Raspberries. IMHO the band should be secure enough within themselves, and respect Eric's accomplishments, enough to play one or 2 Eric Carmen songs. The bottom line is this would make it a better show and would not compromise the integrity of it being a Raspberries show/reunion.

It would be so cool to see them rock & roll out on "No Hard Feelings"....Eric Carmen belting out the climactic "Lemme Outs" with Wally Bryson ripping apart the accompanying guitar parts.... Man ....

With so many ballads as a solo artist, Eric's solo show might be a bit uneven. But it would have more songs that I really really like.

Eric Rocks as a Raspberrie, but as a solo artist, his albums BLOW ME AWAY on both ends of the pop music spectrum. (Power and mellow)

These guys better find a way to make it work, 'cause it ain't goin' nowhere big without inner band harmony AND a satisfied Eric Carmen.

I hope this break is for planning more and bigger things for this group of major music studs!

It's fun to argue about the set list and billing, but... let's face it: Whatever the heck they wanna play would be cool. As long as they play. They seem to have a pretty good feel for their set lists, don't you think? And kudos to Eric for (obviously) not pushing his solo hits thus far. The real magic has come, probably, from really, really focusing on that creative little stretch of time, the early 1970s through '75, and re-capturing the group dynamic that made it happen.

Maybe we'll see more dates on a similar scale, which would be awesome, especially for those of us who have missed out. If it's all Raspberries' songs with a few influential covers (oh -- and some new songs too), that's a great show!

If adding three or four EC solo hits helps sell 2,000 or 3,000 additional tickets (and if all involved are "into it"), then heck, that's a great show, too! Selling tickets is kind of important, no? (Don't forget that Raspberries fandom includes many who have been on board since the beginning -- but many others who backtracked after hearing EC's solo stuff and became obsessed with the group sound.)

Only the four 'berries know for sure where they're going. Well, maybe they don't know just yet, but they'll get there.

PS: Tony, apologies if I missed it on another post, but... what did you mean by the "vibe" in LA that led you to believe there are still control issues in the air?

LC, you have to watch the facial expressions and reactions closely and listen to the comments between the rehearsed intros...I was soaking up everything on stage. There are still sensitivities to over-assertive behavior, I think...The guys love playing for the audience, but like the Beatles, there are different personalities there...

Besides, If Dave produced the next CD, you'd get a more country pop mix. If Wally produced the CD, you'd get a harder crunchy rock mix. With Eric, the song mixes would be all over the place, but with his classical training stamp on some. There will always have to be compromises with these guys to make them happy. But it's hard to compromise when you are so passionate in your vision of your art...Where's Jimmy when you need him?

Or, I just could be full of shit.(Who is this blowhard?) confused

Tony, I appreciate the honest observations---thanks for that. Very valid analysis. (And delicately worded, too... but I hear what you're saying.) Interesting. With such great talents and diverse musical preferences, there are bound to be differing opinions and maybe some "friendly" jabbing now and then. But it's probably all a lot easier to resolve now than it was in the heat of battle 30 years ago.

I am totally with raspberrywine on this one. They HAVE to stay Raspberries--not "Eric Carmen and"--or it's all over. Not only personalities-wise, but in terms of who they can draw to a show. That's just the way it is. Nothing can be done about it.

This has to stay about the group. Not about Eric. Period.

Funny thing about periods, you can always start another line. This thread is really passionate! I wonder if the guys hashed out their future as far as Eric's solo stuff already? I wonder if Eric is reading this right now and seeing how different the opinions are regarding his solo stuff and Raspberries? If he is, I'm sure he's realizing that you can't put the two together without hard feelings unless all 4 Raspberries are only in this to make money.And that... is never the case when your an artist.

Tony you crack me up...

I don't post much...I just read your posts.

Keep in mind the Eagles did "In the City" and "Rocky Mountain Way" live....plus McCartney did "Something" on his previous tour(that's a GEORGE song)....so there is room for a couple of solo numbers("Miles Away", "Bad Blood", anyone?)

Let's have the "group" songs be the focus....and let common sense and good taste prevail, when choosing the others.......

This is a Raspberries thing. They all agree. If they later change it in any way, I'm all for whatever they decide, but they are all such gifted, musical personalities, Raspberries has always been what it is *because* of the individual contributions of each of the dynamic four. They know what they're doing, and they're doing "jes fine." No name changes, unless THEY decide.

And, speaking of the thread title, there are no clunkers either, in my opinion.

smile --Darlene

What's wrong with this picture...? Hundreds of people nationwide... even worldwide, wait for over 30 years for their favorite band to reunite and perform live again. Finally, it happens! Before long, a small group of them are bitching and complaining about the reunion and how much better it could be if only they'd do this or that. The setlist isn't right, observations of dissention on stage are noted (or exaggerated), you know, blah, blah, blah.... I don't get it!! Wake up people... enjoy the ride while it lasts. I sincerely hope that they haven't read this thread -- imagine how depressing it would be to be in their shoes and reading these comments.

Point well taken RB4ever. But we are just keeping ourselves busy talking about one of our favorite bands, while they take a break deciding if they want to go to stage 2 of the reunion.

And I think the guys don't mind a few post that analyze what they are doing, without seeing it all through Darlene-Lama filtered glasses.

With this much under-appreciated talent that still exists in these 4 guys, Are they really going to let this thing end after 10 shows of previous material?

No, not if they work together...

Give me 2 hours in a locked room with these guys, and I'd have a 2 CD commitment, 3 dates opening for Springsteen and a spot on Letterman and Leno...Yes, Darlene's Lemonade really is that powerful! eek

James,

Raspberries playing No Hard Feelings?? Only if they can also play "Yer Stale". But that would only be negative.

People have waited a lifetime to hear them play "their" songs. Let's just cherish the memories. The covers were part of their playlist back in the 70's, so it is Raspberries. For those of us who saw them in the 70's it is just as cool to hear them play "Baby's in Black" as it is to hear "Go All The Way". Actually it is REAL COOL. I though one could only be 17 once but the guys proved me wrong.

Darlene, that's where I was coming out on this one earlier in the thread. You just said it better! Let it be what it is, and be thankful that it is what it is.

I didn't read any of the other posts on this thread as "bitching and complaining," and I would guess (hope) the Raspberries don't see it as bitching and complaining either. Heck, they've persevered a lot worse than this! This is just the passion of fans coming through, and I think the set list is a valid topic for conversation (and isn't documented that the group has taken comments into account on later dates of the tour?) Also, it's natural for these fans to wonder about EC solo hits as possible numbers for reunion shows. Isn't it cool that we can even have that discussion?

Ulimately, the Raspberries have gotta know that their reunion has been an indescribable blast for legions of fans. I love that comment by Beachberry: I thought you could be 17 only once!

Intelligent fans of sports teams, rock bands etc. get together and discuss their ideas on how their favorite team/band can best move forward. This is a good thing! This type of talk can descend into "bitching and complaining" but that hasn't happened on this thread. It's been constructive and I've taken in interesting and intelligent insights from the others that have posted here though I disagree with many. This site would be worthless if every thread were titled "I love Raspberries/Eric" and every reply titled "I love Raspberries/Eric too".

If I were a band member I would value reading a thread such as this,....I would better myself by digesting what intelligent/devout fans were thinking.

RE: "No Hard Feelings", I see your point Beachberry but I see it differently. This song is autobiographical,.... an ode to the struggles the band together fought against the industry and landscape of the 70's. I see it as a song Eric Carmen wrote on behalf of the band and as a mending message to the band. I think it would not only be appropriete but very cool if played.

The current incarnation is perfect. It should be wall to wall Raspberries. What is special is that the stars have aligned after 30 years and got these guys on the same page. What songs would you drop to make room for Eric? They play all Raspberries for 2 hours and there still are songs we wish they would include.

I also love Eric's solo stuff but he can tour on his own whenever he feels like it. This point in time is special and serves to establish the legacy the hard core always knew.

If the rationale is to throw in Eric's solo stuff to help sell tickets, I think, all things considered, it would make more sense to tour with another draw, or open for a name, then to confuse the Raspberries reunion message.

Having said that, the only solo song I would consider is No Hard Feelings with an extended Wally guitar as it is written directly about the Raspberries struggle together as James has cited. Would also be cool to ad lib the outro "Lemme out" and morph it into "We're back again" Also listen closely to the record and you hear the intro to GATW at the end of the song, Wally could have fun teasing the crowd with that prior to the final encore.

I never appreciated it until I saw them live (and maybe they don't realize it) but Eric and Wally have something special going on when they are together on stage. This won't last forever, let's run with it while we can. I sure hope a Spring-Summer 06 tour is being discussed.

My two cents..

Raspberries4ever's post was refreshing to read. She thinks like I do! (haha). But because the band does read what we write and really takes it all under consideration, it's great that we are a diverse crowd and express differing opinions. And the band has catered to so many of them. Aggiesjc noted that Los Angeles was an "every dream fulfilled" show. The dreams were fulfilled because the band read what everyone wanted here.

We have the complete gamut of opinions--an entire spectrum of viewpoints, and it's good that they read them. So don't pay any attention to me if I get "rigid" once in a while. wink

smile --Darlene