Scratch 'n Sniff Consensus Please

My otherwise pristine copy of the first Raspberries album is missing it's sticker - maybe the UK version never had it? However, now that I am in proud possession of the replicas that Bernie supplied with the "Tonight!" book, I'm pondering whether I should do a retro fit to the album.

Before doing so, could I respectfully request the view of the Board on this, i.e. -would this be sacrilege and "spoil" the original album or would the sticker "restore" it to "original" condition?

Also, was the original sticker in a certain position or just randomly stuck on?

What say ye?

Thanks

Gary

If you ever plan on selling it, putting the replica sticker would probably destroy the value as someone who really knew their stuff could probably spot the sticker as not original. And it would be dishonest.

If its for your own enjoyment to have the sticker on there go right ahead!

It has been a long time since I saw my LP (stolen in a burglary on 3/5/85 in Tulsa, OK), but wasn't the sticker on the plastic and not directly on the album cover?

Regardless, I agree with Coz, the replica would devalue it from a collector stand-point.

I still have all of my albums including the first one. It was given to me the year it was released, and the sticker was not on the album itself, but placed on the plastic. I could swear that the album has always smelled like raspberries - I will check it out when I get home tonight.

I wouldn't place a new sticker on your old album though.

Tim

I had my Raspberries first album signed by all the guys at their first concert. It did not have the sticker on it since I bought it in a cut out bin new. I would never dream of selling it and, after I got my stickers from Bernie, I put it on the album. I then framed it and hung it on the wall. I can't imagine ever selling it and I wanted it to look the best it can. I think you should consider whether you are ever going to sell it or whether you are going to keep it for yourself.

Mine *had* a scratch-'n'-sniff sticker, but I lost it somewhere in the crush of the HUGE crowd in Sheeps Meadow the day Raspberries played at the March of Dimes Walk-a-Thon in Central Park in New York City. I didn't realize it had fallen off until I got home.

I agree that if it's just for your enjoyment, and it pleases you, what the heck. Go ahead. That album is *meant* to have a sticker on it.

I can't remember now if Bernie's are the same size. I'm a purist. *Is* the new sticker the same size as the originals were? If it is, I'll put one on mine also. My album STILL smells faintly of Raspberries, but having the aroma come into full flower would be nice. Ahhh...Raspberries!

smile --Darlene

Gary, you really opened a can of worms on this one! My Sunbeam Tiger list has this same conversation on a continual basis. Sunbeam Tigers basically started out life as Sunbeam Alpines, until Carroll Shelby got a hold of one and did the engineering necessary to make the little four banger into a fire-breathing v-8 sports car. Lots of things were changed by Shelby in the Tiger, and over the years many an Alpine owner has decided to take the cheap way to a Tiger and do the mods necessary to convert their car to a Tiger. They're called Tigpines, or more commonly, Algers. They will never be Tigers, because the modifications didn't occur at the factory, with serial #'s to match. And most owners are upfront about their Algers. But somewhere down the line, an Alger tries to pass for a Tiger, and then the trouble starts. One Sunbeam club has gone so far as to start TAC, (Tiger Authentication Committee) with trained inspectors who will inspect your car (or the car you might be considering), issue a certificate, as well as a matching sticker that affixes permanently under the dash. I guess we could start SASAC (Scatch And Sniff Authentication Committee), and have a few trained noses that could sniff out the fakes, but I think you could see where that could end up. In the end, it's always up to the owner. Sticker wisely, my friend. Kirk.

Kind of off the posted topic, but I remember attending a record collectors show a decade back and a guy was selling a "sealed copy" of the "Side 3" LP for a large price (I have several copies of that LP). Thing is, the supposedly unopened album was sealed in "bubble wrap" (not what the original LP came in, so he had taken the "bubble wrap" used in mailers and heat-sealed it around the package to make it look unopened).

Then the guy notices me looking at the album --- he says, "Smell it, it has the Raspberries-scent just as originally released." He obviously had not only confused the story of the scented sticker on the first "Raspberries" album, but he had obviously spray-scented "Side 3" with a Raspberry scent to make his package "collectable"!

Let the buyer beware at record shows.

Don smile

Kirk, I always wanted a Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger - one of the best looking cars ever made. EC fans have such good taste.

Just sniffed my album (what fans of any other artist have this much fun?) and it's scent free so I guess it was never stickered up.

However, if Darlene's sticking then that's good enough for me - it's going on!

Gary

I beg to differ with whoever said the sticker was placed directly on the album cover. It was not--it was on the shrink wrap. My sister's original edition still has it on there. Later I bought one used and opened, and it had neither the sticker nor a spot on it where the sticker had been torn off. It was obviously on the shrink wrap as well.

It should also be noted that while the new stickers are cool, they really do not smell like the originals, which smelled less fruity and more spicy. You could probably never reproduce that smell today anyway.

Hi Trindy,

I literally haven't touched my Raspberries LPs in years, since I got the CD versions (Japanese imports) the minute they came out (early 1990s?). Anyway, all this talk of the pungent sticker inspired me to go to the basement and rescue my LPs. So dug 'em up, and guess what?

I have two copies of the first album. One had the sticker on the shrink-wrap, but not on the LP cover. (I left the shrink-wrap on; a no-no, I know.) The other copy I bought, still bearing its $2.99 price tag, had the sticker directly on the LP cover. And I didn't put it there, either.

I'm thinking that Capitol must have issued the LP both ways. I'll have to look at the numbers and see if they were different pressings.... I'm sure they were....

By the way, the smell? It's still there, fruity and fresh. I love it.

--LC