new raspberries fan story

austinberries

Bess,

So am I. I hadn't really listened much to the Raspberries music on the tape that I had in my collection. I have been a big fan of Eric's music for nearly 20 yrs and I never grow tired of it! Now I am a huge Raspberries fan and I get this look from my husband(who is only 6 yrs older) like I'm crazy but hey, I'm having alot of fun and enjoying some timeless rock-n-roll! I have had a ton of fun on this board and gotten to "meet" some great people that are just as enthusiastic about the Raspberries/EC as we are!

Keep on rockin' babe!

HT from Mo

My problem with Talking Heads is that in order for me to "like" something musical, it has to have some emotional impact. Great music makes you feel something. Talking Heads don't make me feel anything. They're cerebral, maybe even clever, but without any emotional content. That sort of stuff always leaves me flat. You could never say that about The Who or The Beatles or Rachmaninoff or Debussy. If I just want to stimulate my mind, I can read a good book. Music needs to speak to my emotions. The whole purpose of music should be to elevate you. That's why I hate rap. It does just the opposite. ec

My thoughts exactly. Music has always been an important part of my life. I find it comforting and exciting at the same time. That is why I have always been an Eric fan.

Some other music I enjoy is Pachabel's "Canon in 3D Minor" and Mozart's "Piano Concerto 21."

Never was a fan of rap, never will be.

Deb - PA Steeler Fan

Raspathens, I don't know about Abraham Skernick. I'll have to "google" him. If he taught at CIM, he must have been fabulous. Cleveland Institute is the premier place to study, from what people say. It's passed Juilliard from what I've heard. It boasts Paul Kantor, who is an amazing violin pedagogue. I also know two harpists who studied with Alice Chalifoux, the "creme de la creme" of harpists. That's where I would go for a performance degree.

smile --Darlene

Eric, I love Yo Yo also. He and I share a luthier--Rene Morel in New York. During one of our visits, he was playing his cello in one of the rooms after Rene adjusted it and we could hear him loud and clear.

If you like Yo-Yo's playing, you would probably really like David Finckel's also. He and his wife, pianist Wu Han, have their own record label, ArtistLed. Also check out Ofra Harnoy (who not only plays beautifully, but is lovely to look at as well) and HaNa Chang.

smile --Darlene

My problem with Talking Heads is that in order for me to "like" something musical, it has to have some emotional impact. ec

right; the talking heads elicit very little in the "music that generates emotion" dep't - they were basically a fun, slightly wacky dance band. in retrospect, david byrne's relentlessly cryptic lyric schtick gets old fast. they did pull in some great, creative musicians at their peak to play w/ them, like adrian belew & bernie worrell

David Byrne's neurotic spastic vocals are grating. Without the real musicians, Talking Heads have nothing.

David Byrne may be a performance artist, But not a musician.

I never could "get" emotionless pseudo-intellectual movies and music.

I enjoy love, passion and even anger and tears, It is what makes life worth living.

heartpump