70's rock scene in your hometown?

Roonie

What was the 70's rock scene like in your hometown? Cleveland was a hot-bed for bands breaking out! Wish you could have shared the experience. An engineer friend from SUMA recording studio years ago gave us several test pressings from 70's albums like American Noise, Pat Dailey etc. Way cool and are glad we held on to them. Suma recorded Grand Funk Railroad, Wild Cherry and many others! Cleveland Rocks! How about your town? Thanks! Roonie

A lot of the hot Cleveland bands came to our town in the early seventies. Of course the Berries, then we had Freeport, Glass Harp, Moses, James Gang. Locally we had The Pulse (guitarist Marty Lee eventually joined up with Donnie Iris), The Arkay IV (who still seem to be huge in the underground garage band scene), The Snowmen (EVERYTHING was white, cords, stands, makeup, guitars,hair, EVERYTHING)they made it as far as a video on MTV and fizzled. One of the guys in a local band called (arrgh! It just left my mind! Damn!)oh yeah,The Puzzle, went on to become the lead singer in the Spiral Staircase. Other than that it was rather BLAHH!

Here in Canada everyone knows each other - hell, we're practically all related, there are so few of us here.

I went to school with Shania Twain (Eileen back then), Celine Dion, Sarah Mclaughlin, and Alanis Morrisette. Even back then Celine was a skinny little thing. Who knew they'd all grow up to be rich and famous? Maybe I would have been nicer to them! laugh If only Roch Voisine would have gone to my high school! Yum Yum.

I remember seeing Cheap Trick at a little club here in Beloit, they are from Rockford, IL which is about 30 miles south of us. REO was big here too, and I remember a bunch of people in my high school class went to see Chicago and all wore their teeshirts on the same day right after the concert.

There were tons of rock bands around, no DJ's like clubs have now. You could go to a bar and just sit and watch the bands. smile

ps-Rick Nielsen put a guitar through the ceiling at the little club where they played here in town, when I saw them.

The drummer from the Alternative group Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley & he was born in Midland, Michigan back in 1962. Sonic Youth has NOT performed in Midland, MI though!! Also 2 members from the country group Sawyer Brown (Step That Step) are also from Midland. Sawyer Brown has performed in Midland not once but twice so far since 1985. That is all that I can think of. Matt