The Great Gatsby is in the HOUSE!

AnniekNY

My 16 year old daughter MK has brought "The Great Gatsby" home as one of her assigned readings and I am very pleased as punch to report she is really enjoying Fitzgerald.

I did (OF COURSE) tell her that she will listen to "Boats" when she finishes the book so that, maybe, finally, inevitably, she will understand why her mother is such a devoted EC admirer. I am trying to get her to understand that it was a visceral connection to Eric's songwriting long before it was a visual attraction.

I just vividly remember making the connection from Gatsby to Boats and feeling like I had discovered a massive secret. That feeling of joyful elation in my chest comes right back as if it were yesterday. LuvLove

I can honestly say that I was not made to read Gatsby in high school. I only did because of Eric and BATC! From then on I was a voracious Fitzgerald reader, and it was all due to Eric.

It wasn't until I got to an American Lit class in college that I actually had to read Fitz as part of my classwork...we got assigned to read one of his short stories in an anthology.

The story? "Winter Dreams."

True!

Robert Redford did introduce me to Fitzgerald.

The Great Gatsby was the first movie that I searched for the other works of an author.

From then on, I loved F Scott Fitzgerald passionately, secretly. That summer I read all of his work, while my friends read Tiger Beat.

In my adolescent mind most of his hero's did look like Robert Redford. I was Judy Jones, Jordan Baker, Daisy Buchanan and Nicole Diver, Cecelia Brady and even Zelda, but Only their best unobtainable qualities and not A beautiful little fool

Who knows how my life would have turned out if I had heard Boats Against the Currents during that period of my life?

wink

I watched the movie and didn't understand it at the time, but now I do. It was a page out of history. My Mom grew up in the Roaring Twenties and my father lost his father then.

And yes, I bought Tigerbeat with my saved up allowance just to see David Cassidy. My apologies to Eric Carmen for my misjudgment at that time. I didn't know any better. I was only 14.

PM777 - you crack me up!!!

I find it endearing to share such an important piece of literature with my beloved daughter. I have taken so much CRAP from her about my love/devotion/groupiedom of Eric and the Berries that it will be a stupendous event to have her make the connection!!!