What is the true songwriter credit?

Billy K.

"Go All the Way" has been available as a single, on the first Raspberries album, as well as a number of compilations...there has been a bit of confusion concerning songwriting credits...some releases say "Eric Carmen" in the songwriting credits, while others say "Carmen/Bryson"...

Just want to know the TRUE songwriting credits -- did Eric write the song on his own...or did Wally indeed write some of the song?

Hey Billy K.-- Your Bremerton home isn't far from me, I'm near Gig Harbor on Fox Island.

The answer to your question is fairly controversial, and has been the subject of much discussion (at times heated) over the years. The short answer is only very early versions carry dual credit, Eric is and has been attributed as the sole composer for decades. The issue was over the credit for the famous intro.

Billy K.-- Yeah, like Steve said...you just walked into the biggest minefield in Berriesdom. According to Eric, he wrote the entire song, including the intro on piano.

Wally claims that even though Eric wrote the chords, he figured out their exact fingerings on the guitar which helped create the essence of the song's sound and therefore he should have been credited as a co-writer.

My take on the whole thing is that there never was a more dynamic duo than Eric and Wally, and we should thank the musical gods that they found each other and gave us such an amazing catalog of music!

Whew! Got through that without setting off a single landmine smile --Bernie

PS: The song's original co-credit is said to have been a Capitol Records printer's error and was changed to just ERIC CARMEN for all subsequent releases of the song.

Bernie, I'm not sure if you ever saw the movie of "The Doors" -- but it sounds like a similar thing. Robbie Krieger had this song called "Light My Fire"...but the distinctive keyboard part that Ray Manzerek made the song.

Steve, that is TOO funny that you live on Fox Island...my brother-in-law was in town, and his cousins took us to this place out in Gig Harbor. The dockside dining there is really cool...My new place is near Kitsap Lake...quite a contrast from being in San Francisco all these years.

I just started following this particular topic and when I get home (Yes, I'm already at work!) I'm going to have to go check my first pressing 45 of "Go All The Way" bought Memorial Day Weekend of 1972 (does it have any collectible value, Bernie? laugh ) but my recollection is that Eric alone received the writing credit on the 45.

Mike Grollman

Bernie, while on the subject of "Layla", there is another interesting angle to this...the last part, where they have the piano in there until fade out, was a totally separate tape of something drummer Jim Gordon composed.

What actually happened on the final version of "Layla" was that producer Tom Dowd decided to splice the two previously unassociated pieces together.

The story in "MiX" (recording industry magazine) about this, is really incredible!

• 10 months later...

Quote:
Originally posted by Raspbernie:

Billy K.-- Here's another example...although his name doesn't appear on the songwriting credit's, Duane Allman actually wrote the memorable guitar riff in Eric Clapton's "Layla." --Bernie

It might be helpful if I actually TYPED something before sending it! :::: clears throat :::: ANYWAY, I was just going to remark that if all musicians required songwriting credits for riffs -- the royalties could get spread mighty thin! Some "artists" here are "given" songwriter credits simply for cutting the song. No names, but some would surprise you. The songwriters agree to it, just to get the cut. They used to wrap coke in the demo tape instead. I'm not sure which method is preferable??

:rolleyes: