"The Way We Used To Be"

Julie

I was lurking on a "Days Of Our Lives" message board (yes, I know, I continue to be 'uncool') and somebody posted this message:

I have been racking my brain trying to remember what this song was.

It was definitely from the early 80's and I think it was "Bo and Hope's" song when they were starting to be a couple... The song was ace... A bit of a love song, but I'm wondering if ANYONE Remembers what the song could be.

THE LYRICS I REMEMBER

"Where tears are shed, where has love gone" " We used to talk about forever you and I" "I can remember when we used to be the best of friends, now suddenly.."

Sorry, that's all I remember of the song...

Also, I think there was a time when the show used to end with this particular song (during those Days) Hmm any help would be APPRECIATED... Even a site that has Days songs featured over the years.. smile thanks!

Well, naturally, I knew it was Eric's "The Way We Used To Be" and it wasn't Bo and Hope, but golly, that's another story.....anyway, I e-mailed a reply and invited the poster to come on over to ericcarmen.com and join us.

I thinks it's pretty cool that somebody brought up a song that was played maybe 3 or 4 times on a soap in 1984 and remembered it that well and that it still had an impact on them! Hearing that great song on "Days" was how I got re-introduced to Eric's music back in '84. Now that is a powerful piece of music!!

--Julie

Julie, your song, Suddenly", is not Olivis Newton John, I know that, I don't have the song , I THINK it's from the female singer, or group, One To One'.

I know the singer your talking about, when she sings that song, it sounds like she pouts when she sings.

Like Cory Hart.

Another stumper. I'll keep looking,ok

Uh, Gord? The song is Eric's "The Way We Used To Be". Trust me on this one. I've watched Days of Our Lives since I was 12 years old and when they played that song back in 1984 I rushed out and bought the album. On most days, I think that is the best song that Eric ever did.

--Julie

In my opinion, "TWWUTB" is one of Eric's best ballads ever. I don't know anything about "Days Of Our Lives" so I'm totally confused as to how

an obscure song such as "TWWUTB" made it onto that show. Someone involved with the show must have been a fan of Eric.

Marvin

I've wondered about that too over the years. I believe that Mary Hart (of ET) is a fan of Eric's and she is a good friend of Deidre Hall (star of "DAYS"), but I have no idea if that is how it ended up being on the show--seems like kind of a long shot at best.

Bernie--do you have any info on how this song ended up on "Days of our Lives"? Or, perhaps, this is a good "Ask Eric" question? hmmmmm.......

--Julie

Julie, I thought of that too, But, I didn't know you were referring to Eric music, only the 80's

female singer, "Suddenly, Last Summer", I thought you were asking about her.

I'm sorry Julie, please forgive me.

Here I am looking for that female singer who sings that with that line too.

Oh my gosh. Slap me,ok

On my first listen of the Geffen album, I was immediately captured by "The Way We Used To Be". It quickly became my favorite song on the album, and possibly my favorite Eric ballad of all-time. I was working as a residential plumber from 1981-86. The office was attached to the owners house, and his wife was the secretary. She had a window right beside her desk so that she could watch "Days Of Our Lives" on the TV in her living room. I remember being in the office one day, and hearing TWWUTB coming from inside the house. I was already upset that it had never been released as a single, so I was exicted that this exposure would open doors. Well, we all know that it never was issued as a single. BIG MISTAKE. I believe it would have been a sure hit.