What's happened to Darlene?

LostControl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to disappoint everyone, but I don't think Eric was thinking about women that night--all he was thinking about, I'm sure, was his New York debut and how it went over. Those of us who were there saw all kinds of people around him--Clive Davis (then) of Arista records, Jimmy Ienner, a lot of people I didn't even know, and newspaper photographers taking photos of him between sets. There were a lot of women there waiting to be with him after (I saw them in the bathroom--some of them had actually flown in or travelled some distance, and two actually had an argument about who was going home with him at the end of the night),(yes, June, to quote your words, I was the proverbial "fly on the wall"!) but at the end of the evening, some guy came out and announced to them all that Eric (like Elvis!) had already left the building. I've never seen a larger number of angry/disappointed women (I think there had to be about 10!), and had you seen them (they were all pretty gorgeous), you would have known it wouldn't have even entered my mind to even try to compete. It was a very successful evening for him,

with two dynamite shows and his entourage of agents and Clive must have been very happy. They sure looked it. But Eric must have been exhausted after all that.

smile --Darlene

Sounds like Eric had to run for his life that night and probaly many nights after. I never got a chance to see Eric live back then, so I never whitness the screeming girls or the girls arguing to see, who is going home with him.(Didn't Eric have a say?) laugh

Glad it was such a sucessful opening night for him though. Thats got to boost your moral! That and the screaming girls. Darlene was there any screaming going on? Please say no. grumpy JUNE

June, No, there were no screaming girls, except during the performance. Eric was so live onstage that the girls (and everyone really) really got into it. The girls did scream a bit during the show, but it wasn't like immature clothes-tearing screaming. But there were some tempers smoldering at the end of the night (the girls were pretty sophistocated looking, not the teeny-bopper screaming type) when he disappeared and left the "chicks" standing there waiting. Hey, if I had looked like Loni Anderson then, I might have waited around too! (They were all sort of in the same place, just waiting around) Ah, but "those days are gone," to quote some familiar song lyrics. But it IS fun to take a trip down Memory Lane sometimes.

smile --Darlene

Marvin, I am truly surprised that your sisters weren't taken with Eric. Although, if they were very "straight" or prim, they wouldn't have been.

There was definitely a lot of sexual energy going on with his image in those days, he strutted around, kicking microphones a la Mick Jagger and was virtually a bundle of dynamite. In those days, for a good little naive Italian girl type like me, guys I thought of as "the dangerous kind" (whatever I thought that was) spiced up my imagination. Eric was definitely overt sex appeal, a bit of the "bad boy" image and amazing musical talent, so one could say he captured my interest. But I was very shy. Still am.

smile --Darlene

Hey Cartmill, What's this gay stuff all about????

You trying to find a male lover or what? Aunt Antonietta is going to come and find you and "straighten" you out. (Get the pun?!) And she doesn't want you cross-dressing in her clothes, either! You know what they say about some people from California...

smile --Darlene