Yet Another Movie featuring "All By Myself"

JohnO

I just saw a preview last night for "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", produced by Judd Apatow (directed "Knocked Up", "40 Year Old Virgin", produced "Superbad", "Walk Hard" among others), and starring a cast of no-names (but it looks like Paul Rudd and Seth Hill have minor roles). It's due to be released on May 30.

While it looks like yet another dopey comedy about the lovelorn, at the start of the preview, when the main male character is being dumped by his girlfriend, playing in the background is...."All By Myself"!

Congrats to Eric once again! That tune certainly gets around....and, with Apatow's recent track record, the movie will probably be a hit.

P.S. The preview is showing with "Rambo", BTW.....an awful flick, but Sly Stallone looks great for his age, and the film features a very creative array of gunshot wounds/special effects...tons o' gore.

And that preview has been showing for a while, too.

I took my daughters to see Alvin & the Chipmunks on Christmas night, and I saw it then. (Looks like a funny movie....) So, anyway, people in theaters have been getting that snippet of "ABM" for at least a month. Cool...

As Bernie mentioned to me at the Meet & Greet in NYC in October, "All By Myself" is starting to become to the '70s what "Yesterday" was to the '60s.

Really? I believe most people do not want to be 'all by myself', so on a macro level, yes, everybody can relate to that sentiment.

This is an interesting question -- do people relate to the loner aspect of the song, or does it go deeper - do the lyrics echo the thoughts of so many?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not surprised.

ABM has become sort of the "Cliched Loneliness Song of the Movies." In much the same way that certain other songs or musical pieces have become cliched pieces to use to highlight certain events in movies.

You know...a man and woman see each other across a crowded room, their eyes glaze over, and that climactic Tchaikovsky theme from "Romeo and Juliet" plays. Everyone laughs because it's a cliche of the romantic scene.

Or...and this is a real cliche of the movies lately...there's a scene in which a bunch of women are together having a good time, and they're singing or lip-syncing or whatever, to a song. Which song is it? You guessed it. Aretha Franklin's "Respect."

That's the point I think we're at with "All By Myself." It's the go-to song for when a character is feeling rejected, alone, bitter, mopey, depressed. That's why it worked so well in the GM robot ad. It was the instantly recognizable Abandonment Song. Just as Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet" is the instantly recognizable Song of Overwhelming Passionate Love and "Respect" is the instantly recognizable Song of Powerful Chicks Havin' Fun Together.

You have to hand it to Eric for having achieved this. And it's his unique achievement, because I don't think it would ever have happened to the Rach 2 on its own. It needed pop familiarity, it needed LYRICS. Eric gave it that.

And now, as a result, whenever a character in a movie or on TV is rejected and feeling bitter and depressed, what you hear is that big *ba-da-ba-BOOM!* "All by myseeeeeelf..."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, Eric - my hubby wants to know if (and under what circumstances) you have refused usage of your music?

I think it is utterly ridiculous that you were able to write a song that causes me to make a total fool of myself when I hear it - i.e., in the office (mental health, remember) waiting room...I open the door to receive a client and YOU are singing ABM on the radio.

What do I do, you ask? Well, how about sing along with you and take out my cel phone to show the picture of you and me from your birthday at WAB? This is NOT acceptable, Mr. C. And it's your fault. arrghlaugh

Hehehehe!!! I'm just waiting for it to come on when I'm in one of the stores on my street (two of the, actually) thatplay a lot of the classics, and the poor patrons and saleslady find me singing along with this blissful smile on my face!

They'll wonder if I've been into something that's not legally sanctioned!

Yes, Mr. Carmen, you are also to blame for me humming "Love Is All That Matters" in the grocery store when the sotck boy was just around the corner. He looked at me as if I was going through adolescence, and he's seen me around for 7 years now! hahahypnohypno

• Like 1

So, how was ABM used for the hockey? As a joke on the penalty box?

And hey, if it gets used in the movie trailer alone, that's fine...in fact, that just proves how quickly it does its work in setting the tone it sets. Put a little snippet of it in there...you've said it all!