You guys are amazing...

popdude

I've been reading all the posts here for a while now and I have to say that I have never seen a group of more devoted, passionate and downright NICE people in any music forum I've been around. I agree that the 'Berries are awesome---and swell guys, to boot---but so are their fans.

On another note, I spoke to Scott McCarl last night and he was genuinely thrilled to hear how great the reunion show went. Remember, he was a fan before he was a 'Berry. He seemed touched when I told him that Eric dedicated "Play On" to him. Scott also agreed to donate an unreleased solo track to a CD project I am currently working on compiling, so stay tuned for details...

Yes, Scott is indeed a wonderful, kind and gentle soul. Funny, too; when I called him last night, he proceeded to quickly pull off a spot-on Paul McCartney impersonation! :-)

This is actually the second time that Scott has generously donated a tune to a compilation disc that I have produced; the first time was in 2001, when he recorded a cover of "I Never Had it Better" for the Shoes tribute album titled SHOE FETISH.

Being PowerPopJames, I of course have that Shoes tribute album, The Tearaways play on that track as well, correct? Great version of that song, by the way. That's gotta be Scott at the end doing his spot-on Macca impression, right?. It's a great collection altogether and includes Matthew Sweet, DM3, The Lolas among others. Great job John, wish I had your job!

Yep, James, that is indeed the Tearaways backing up Scott on that tune and yes, Mr. McCarl is indeed doing the Macca-like spoken word bit at the end. Glad you like the collection!

I also was fortunate enough to produce another power pop collection a few years ago that was released on Not Lame Records: "Right to Chews: Bubblegum Classics Revisited." It featured power popsters covering great old bubblegum tunes from the likes of The Archies, Banana Splits, 1910 Fruitgum Company, etc.

None other than Ken Sharp contributed a fantastic track---"Melody Hill," an obscure Archies b-side---with his side peoject called Superstone, which also featured Rob Bonifiglio and Carnie Wilson!

Popdude: I think the biggest part of the "amazing" thing is that Raspberries are truly a special group. I know I have never so identified with a band and their music as I did, and now do again, with Raspberries. It is fun, personally rewarding, and a real honor to be one of their fans.

Art, Raspberries are truly special. They played at my high school dances in 70 and 71. I identify with their music because they have taken me through every teenage emotion and later their message was simply a validation. Talking with the guys last Friday was a treat. They are special just like their fans. I never went to a concert and felt LOVE like I did that night. Total strangers loving total strangers. I took my youngest daughter to the concert and she loved every moment. Berryheads are special and should be proud.

I figure I'll pass a nice word on concerning the HOB folks. I was in town early and thought I'd find somewhere to eat on Thanksgiving. (darn you Marvin)

Nothing was open. Things looked bleak. I went to the House of Blues and they were wrapping up feeding the hungry/homeless. One young lady was leaving and wished me Happy Thanksgiving. Then the fellow asked if I wanted a box of cookies. They apparently had a little something left from helping the hungry. Well, I hadn't eaten and prospects didn't look too good, so I took him up on it.

But it wasn't really a box of cookies, it was a case of Milky Way cookies. By days end and some number of candy bar/cookies later, I wasn't hungry. Saturday I even sent Ken Sharp home with some, and plan on bringing some back up to him for New Years!

At any rate, thanks to the HOB staff. It was an unusual Thanksgiving, but one which really is fun to remember.

Gene I went into the HoB on Thursday afternoon to pick up my show tickets, and I also was given two boxes of those chocolates. I thought that it was a very nice gesture by HoB. Since I'm not a big fan of candies, I ended up giving the chocolates to Jennifer as she hadn't had anything to eat on her flight.

Marvin