Brian May

GaryS

Hey, you got good taste, Gary. I've been a HUGE Brian May fan since I first learned to tune my six-string. I saw Queen live at least a dozen times including their first American appearance backing up Mott the Hoople on Broadway (seems like only yesterday...) --Bernie

I have seen Queen 5 times myself.I think they were the most unique & melodic rock group ever. My favorite tour was the Day at the Races tour.Thin Lizzy opened for them at Cole Field House University of MD.The only other goup I have seen that many times was Bowie.Hey Bernie I bet Hoople was great.I got to see Ian Hunter with Mick Ronson just before Mick passed away back in the early 90's at the 9:30 club in D.C.It was fantastic ,very small venue almost no one there.One of my top 3 concerts of all time. laugh

Unfortunately Hoople sucked (and I'm a big Ian Hunter fan!).

Mott had just lost lead guitarist Mick Ralphs who went on to form Bad Company and were using hack musician Ariel Bender whose great claim to fame seemed to be playing off key and barely managing to stand up in the high-heeled boots he was sporting.

Mott was so off that night that they refused to do an encore. This was possibly due to the fact that the entire audience started chanting, "Queen! Queen! Queen! Queen!" after Mott's set. They clearly blew the elder statesmen of British rock off the stage that night.

As for Queen in the early years, they were magnificent! I'm certainly a big fan of the hits which would come from "A Night At The Opera" and beyond, but there was something even more thrilling to see them perform songs like "Liar", "White Queen," "Ogre Battle" and "Keep Yourself Alive". An added bonus was seeing Brian strut his stuff in that white silk shirt with the winged sleeves. NIIICE!

For the record, I also saw Ian when he toured with Mick Ronson. Both were great! I also saw Ian just last year when he stopped to play a small club at the Jersey shore. Once again, he was great! As was his last studio album, RANT. --Bernie

I'm a Queen fan myself --- interesting, last Friday I heard on "IMUS in the Morning" that George Michael is joining Brian May and Roger Taylor (no mention of John Deacon) as they reform Queen and will be touring in 2003. No mention either of any new material --- In my opinion, George Michael is one of the few that can sound like Freddy Mercury -- if you have heard the live version of "Somebody to Love" you will see what I mean. Really hope if this is true that John Deacon plays also.

Please! Don't make me puke. George Michael shouldn't even be on the same stage as Brian May and Roger Taylor. Freddie must be looking down and wondering what the H*&^&* are they doing? They must be loosing it. If they really want a guy that could sound like Freddie somewhat they should talk to Kevin Max who used to be in the Christian Rock Group D.C. Talk. He now has a solo project called Stereotype B which has Adrian Belew, Tony Levans and kevin singing. In fact on his website you can hear a version of "Save Me" that Kevin did as a demo and it rocks. No matter who they get Freddie was Queen. Without him it's not even close. Freddie was the best songwriter of the group and he was the greatest front man ever in rock music as far as I'm concerned. Sorry for the rant but I hope those guys don't book themselves as Queen. That would be like Paul and Ringo being The Beatles.

stut5, I'm afraid I have to disagree... while I am *not* a George Michael fan, I think he did a great job on "Somebody To Love" with EJ... you're entitled to your opinion, of course, I realize we can't all like everything about everyone, that'd be boring anyway...

I do find it interesting that a lot of Eric fans like Queen, I've been a Queen fan forever... I wish I'd seen them live, alas, I have not... it's funny tho, how often I find Eric fans saying they like someone that I also like, for example, Bernie's appreciation for Angel, whom I loved... I gotta admit tho, while a lot of Eric fans like Kyle Vincent, I just can't get into him confused

ok, ok, ok ,

a) Kevin Max would be THE guy to REFORM Queen...

B) George Michael DID do a great version of Somebody to Love...

c) Eric and Freddie are VERY similar if you look at them musically (Freddie had better teeth and Eric has better hair)

d) Although I live in New Orleans now (where my band Maidenhead is from) I grew up in DC and "spent my weekends on the Jersey shore". Wildwood to be exact.

e) I would buy a ticket and rock my a#% off at a Queen show with George Michael OR ANYONE ELSE singing.

Thanks and have a nice day. I love this board. I must say that it is the best music board on the net so far.

stut5, I'm afraid I have to disagree... while I am *not* a George Michael fan, I think he did a great job on "Somebody To Love" with EJ... you're entitled to your opinion, of course, I realize we can't all like everything about everyone, that'd be boring anyway...

I do find it interesting that a lot of Eric fans like Queen, I've been a Queen fan forever... I wish I'd seen them live, alas, I have not... it's funny tho, how often I find Eric fans saying they like someone that I also like, for example, Bernie's appreciation for Angel, whom I loved... I gotta admit tho, while a lot of Eric fans like Kyle Vincent, I just can't get into him confused

Hi Julia I agree with you that the world is a much more interesting place with varied opinions. However I think that Queen fans are probably alot like EC fans in that they feel very strongly about "Queen" as a group. I have seen the video of George Michael and all of the other great artists that performed Many of Freddies songs. But that is my point they are Freddies songs not George Michaels. I see Geoge Michael I think of "Wake me up before you go-go" thats hardly Tie Your Mother Down or Liar, or Somebody to love. My point is this... lets reform the Raspberries with George Michael playing Eric. Now I'm sure you see it just ain't the same. Stu wink

May I point out the one difference...

Freddie is no longer living therefore a reunion with him is impossible. The question then becomes between Queen with George Michael or no Queen at all which do you choose? If you choose no Queen at all then nobody has a choice. If you choose Queen with George Michael everybody gets the choice to decide whether to listen. They may get together and write your next favorite song.

Hi Gary, You point out a very important fact that yes Freddie is gone therefore your frontman, songwriter and the voice of Queen is gone. Anything they do now really would not be Queen as far as I'm concerned If Brian and his mates get together with George Michael that of course is up to them. I won't buy it especially if they book themselves as Queen. I think most loyal Queen fans probably would feel that way. Beside's George Michael is a horrible choice to try and replace Freddie with. He's a pop R&B middle of the road singer? Queen Rocked

By the way-- Everyone reading this series of posts should definitely check out the new Queen double DVD set that came out last month. It's great! Of special note is a bonus video where Brian May listens to the original master tape for "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the recording studio. He isolates every track, playing large portions of each (almost entirely in some cases) and talking about the recording.

I wish someone would do this with the Raspberries masters (if they can find them!) --Bernie

Last quick point... How do you know that most loyal Queen fans aren't clamoring for a new cd with Queen and Mr. Short-shorts (not a big G.Michael fan). I am a loyal fan and I can't wait. Interesting note... this conversation would turn into a massacre in a Queen message board.

I loved Queen, I saw them at the now destroyed Capitol Center in Largo Maryland in the 1970's. They were great. They ( Brian and company), should hang it up! Without Freddy they are nothing, certanly not QUEEN. They are great musicians, however, they should reform under a new name and maybe do some Queen covers etc with George or some other front man, and try to find a new identity. Queen is dead, long live Queen!

Billy, you're right, I don't know what I was thinking... but I did like both songs with George, and I have them on video I ripped off VH-1.

Stut5, I agree with some of what you've said, Freddie was Freddie, and no one else is going to replace him... but I agree with Gary in that some fans may prefer George joining them to their throwing in the towel... whether or not they're still called Queen is a minor issue, their being called Queen won't bring Freddie back from the dead, and their being called something else won't fool fans into not thinking "these guys were in Queen" everytime they see them... it's like Paul McCartney, he was in Wings, but everyone knew that was a Beatle! Everyone will think of them as Queen, no matter what they're called, much the same as you think of Wham when you see George...

Many bands change members (sometimes due to death, sometimes not) and continue with the same name and are quite successful, look at KISS... they went thru a few changes, in fact Eric Carr died the very same day Freddie Mercury did, Nov. 24, 1991... but KISS made millions since...

I loved INXS, and as far as I'm concerned, INXS died the day Michael Hutchence died... but if they wanna keep on going, and use the same name with different front man, so be it... if I like what they do, I'll buy it, if not, I won't smilie

allright this is great.I respect all of your opinions and as Madonna once said you all have the right to my opinion laugh He.He. just kidding.Hey Bernie Thanks for the heads up on that DVD.I will definetly check it out.And yes it would be awesome if someone put together A Raspberry/Eric DVD.Use your powers of persuasion.