Let's get one thing straight boys and girls...

Tony Cartmill

With all this talk about white jumpsuits, sexy dance moves on stage, dreamy bedroom eyes, and rock star hair styles, let me make a pledge, a snooty judgement and ask a question:

PLEDGE:

I have never, and will never let the PHYSICAL APPEARANCE of an artist influence how much I like or dislike a song.

Sure I might watch a video a little longer to see a hot babe rolling around in her underwear, but it will not influence my opinion of the song.

SNOOTY JUDGEMENT:

Anybody who does let the physical attractiveness of the artist influence their opinion of the music is one step beneath me as a true music lover and critic.

QUESTION:

Which kind of music lover are you? Influenced or not?

Dig down deep and answer truthfully.

BONUS QUESTION:

What do we true music lovers DO with those who let

big fake boob jobs and/or costumes, skin exposure and big hair influence their taste in music? Maybe we can deport them to Canada to hang out with Marvin for some deprogramming... mad

Warm up that igloo, buddy laugh

Well, the first time I ever saw a picture of Eric was on the cover of the 1st self-titled album and I thought he was rather "woosie" looking--to be truthful! Sorry Darlene!!! (that hairdo on that cover is just plain bad). But, when "Boats" came out, I went, "whoa!" and then when I saw the video for "Hungry Eyes" with that short hair and Robert Palmer thing goin' on, I was hooked. I still think the most gorgeous pic is the one on the "Definitive Collection".

So, I was drawn to the music and incredible voice first. (Didn't even know about the Raspberries till a few years later).

--Julie (can't wait till the Iowa Caucus is OVER!!!!!!--geez! The phone is ringing constantly)

A great example of a really talented artist who lost much of his audience after people got a peek of him at the Grammies is Christopher Cross.Heres a guy that wrote some beautiful songs but had a not so great look which I believe cost him in his career.

So to answer your question I think I am influenced somewhat maybe subconciously in how a performer looks.Elvis was cool in th 60"s but blossomed into a fat joke onstage in the 70's.Queen on the other hand always had a great look but lost there music in the 80's IMO.

Tony, I was hooked on the voices the first time I ever heard Raspberries, driving in my car. I didn't know what they looked like. I didn't even know who they WERE! I just went into a trance over the voices, the blend, the beautiful music and that special sound they had. I found out who they were at a club that night when, after trying to describe the sound to my friends, and no one knew who I was describing, "that sound" came on the jukebox when the band took a break. I went running across the dance floor to read "selection now playing" and it was GATW by Raspberries. I found another song by them and started feeding quarters into the machine all night, playing it.

I was hooked. I didn't know what anybody in that group looked like. I loved the voices and the blend. Loved the sound. Loved the music and could see that whoever was writing was talented and had to have had a classical background. The rest of the package was icing on the proverbial cake.

Music first, always.

smile --Darlene

It's all in the voices for me - even someone with an amazing speaking voice can hook me. Actor Frank Langella's voice KILLS me!!

Musically, it's the same - I saw the Raspberries on the kids show "Go!" in the early seventies in a recording studio doing "GATW". I heard them first, from another room and was really drawn to the sound.

Lyrics are really important to me too. Combine a romantic voice like Eric's with his lyrics and I'm a goner. Makes my heart ache or swoon every time.

Currently in the cd carousel are Jason Mraz (awesome) No Doubt, Chicago, Afro-Celtic Sound System, and Boston. I also love Harry Connick Jr, Barry Manilow, Jimmy Buffett,Eva Cassidy, Linda Eder. Very eclectic mix but great music.

Hey, I love Canada, too! Am I exiled!!?? ;-)

Hey Marvin, like wise, I never buy music because of looks either, to me it's the music, the voice, harmony of the band together, all the sound, whether it's from New Zealand or the Orca Killer Whales or even the Dolphins, it's all beautiful to listen to, under certain circumstances, I'm not into Heavy Metal at all, but, you know, unfortunately, I like a couple.

I like to listen to classical.

It all touches my heart, their's meaning to all music.

Am I right, I think so, huh

Gord, Yep, you're absolutely right, there IS meaning to all music--it just has to be real MUSIC! I don't consider the rap stuff music at all. Even hokey stuff has meaning for SOMEBODY--it takes all kinds, or like my friend who restores pianos says, "there's a hiney for every seat."! I don't like hokey stuff, but classical is the most divine for me. I'm sure that's why I love Eric's music (and Raspberries) so much--because there is real talent in the writing and it is REAL MUSIC for sure. I like some of just about everything--there are country songs that absolutely make me CRY, and some jazz that I'm over the moon about. All music has meaning--you're right about that! Even more than art, to me music defines the human condition...I guess that's why I always wanted to perform and teach it...

smile --Darlene

I fell in love with Simon and Garfunkel music when I was 11, so I can't say I like them for their looks. Definately I'm in it for the music. I don't think you guys would complain too much if a good female singer also looked hot. Same with us females. We're happy to hear a good singer / songwriter; but it's a bonus if they are good looking too.

Does this mean I have to take a trip out to Calgary to visit with Marvin? Not that I wouldn't mind, I hear from my brother it's +5 degrees C there, while it's -44 here.

Michelle

Billy, She is beautiful. When I was a little girl, her father lived in our town, just across the bridge. He came from a family of about 12 children, all of them gorgeous. I was about 5 and Belinda Carlisle's dad (I can't remember his real first name but his nickname was Duke and his last name was Kerczewski (pronounced Ker CHESS key), and when I was 5 I would say to him (maybe he was 15) "I'm gonna marry you someday. Wait for me to grow up to you!" Well, he didn't, but he moved to California and married a beautiful girl, and Belinda is his daughter. She changed her name to Carlisle from Kerczewski because that was her mom's maiden name or something. Anyway, she looks just like her dad. I used to see Duke's sister (she worked in my school system before she retired) and said Belinda was wonderful--bought her parents a beautiful home. I told Estelle (Duke's sister) I never got over my crush on him!

If he had waited for me, I could have been Belinda Carlisle's mother!

smile --Darlene