Hangin' With The Raspberries

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my hubby and I are sitting here arguing (during videos only) because he thinks, if you're a closet Berries fan from back in the day and not on the boards, that an accoustic version is not going to make you run out and buy a ticket to the current shows.

I love the accoustic version and would love hearing much more.....I do see his point BUT I don't care!

Ah, so someone else had his eyes peeled...I actually taped part of the Runaways video because I thought "Wait...that's ERIC'S GUITAR Joan Jett is playing!"

Anyway, unfortunately that is the way VH1 Classic does things...they never devote a whole hour to a band, they always scatter the stuff in between videos from other bands...

However, what I wonder now is whether all that video of the boys playing the other songs they played will now be parceled out amongst the other airings of the show...it seems silly for them to have recorded so much and then used only one song. What do you think?

The show definately plays to fans. If you don't know the band's music, everything is out of context. VH1 should play a montage of the band's hits to remind the casual viewer of their music.

And yes, while IWBWY is the only song shown, it's frickin' awesome. I got shivers watching and listening to it.

Dave

To elaborate...I LOVED the unplugged version of IWBWY but at the same time as I was listening to it, I was thinking "I hope they show something in here of how they rock, because it would be very misleading to just show them playing this way and give people who maybe weren't familiar with what the band was up to the idea that they had slowed down and mellowed out and that this is the way they play ALL their old songs now...you know, sort of how Neil Sedaka slowed down 'Breaking Up Is Hard to Do' in the '70s...people could come away thinking 'Oh great, now they sound just like Eric in his solo career, only with more guys. Like they all got their cojones cut off...'"

Yes, this was me being my rational self. Saying, "*I* like it, but what if people come away thinking this is all they do now?" I was relieved to see they put the GATW video at the end of it all, whic is far more representative of what they do in concert.

That having been said, though, I'd love to hear the other stuff they did in the studio, and I hope VH1 Classic will show it to us in the future. If they'd do it in future airings of the show that would be ideal.

And to all those who don't get VH1 Classic, hang in there!

I was really expecting ALL of the unplugged songs to be played. That would have been about 20 minutes. 20 minutes better spent than watching Stevie Ray Vaughn play an extended solo!

But maybe you're right. Maybe the other songs will appear in another show. VH1 also taped one-one-one interviews with each of the bandmembers. None of that aired either.

Bernie

Marlene....very observant catching Ken and Barbie, as you all may or may not know, Ken and Barbie are at every show usually in some um er ...compromising position. We felt that they had to be included in this historic event also! If they decide to air the other songs that were recorded, keep your eyes open and see if you can spot our "mascots" at another location in the studio.

Great show and interviews. I thought the GATW video was tops....first time I saw it. Also enjoyed the unplugged song. True, they should have played the other songs though. I thought the video selection was great (minus Bow Wow Wow). Now back to "The Alternative".....my favorite tv show.

First, let me say I could duplicate Dave's earlier post. IWBWY= AMAZING!. He used the exact word I thought of throughout. It's very rare that a song or version of it can bring a tear to my eye, but that one did!

Next, I saw the "Hangin' With" show that had two guys from Black Sabbath on it (I'm not a fan, just was watching) and as I recall, they played several of their videos, so I am confused as to where the other unplugged songs went? I was really hoping they might break out a cut from the vault from Kirshner or the Midnight Special or something.

Still was a great, great show and Eddie did a fabulous job with the boys!