Monday Night Showdown

Steveh

Time to split hairs again, this time at halftime of the Monday Night Football game. Two songs that many of us can't seem to stop playing, no matter how much we try, are fortunately on the same CD. If you had just four minutes to listen to one of these two songs, which would you choose?

"I Wanna Take Forever Tonight" was my choice for "the perfect song" scenario. It's just THE song any girl would want to hear. It expresses what we wait a lifetime to hear...any thoughts, Steve?

Good poll, though. It seems like you think of polls where I can actually make a choice! Very nurturing to my psyche! But, then, you're a psychologist, aren't you? --Getting-more-independent-Darlene

Darlene,

I agree. I Wanna Take Forever Tonight is an incredible song, and it gets my vote, but I also like Isn't It Romantic (of course). I think these are two pretty similar songs, both among his very best ever. Speaking of tough decisions, it really is hard to decide which EC songs to play if you have only a limited time (eg., in the car going to work).

Steveh

I Wanna Take Forever Tonight gets my vote. When I heard it on the Winter Dreams album, I thought it was new, but found out that it had been sung by Peter Cetera and Amy Grant, I think (are those the two who sang it?), and had been on the radio. I listen to a lot of radio, so their version must have been pretty unmemorable. However, I *LOVE* EC's version, and to me, it is a whole new song. What a delight!

Marvin Dear Marvin, In one of the interviews I remember reading (or maybe it was an answer to an

"Ask Eric" question, I remember Eric saying that

he and Diane Warren threw lyrics back to each other and gave out lines to each other, playing off each other. This is the way a lot of songwriters work (as in Nashville): Sometimes there are like 8 people sitting around for hours,

days, whatever, sending out for food and having a

giant "think tank," so it's not like Eric ISN'T

involved in writing lyrics. He's writing them with other writers, a lot. He's collaborating with other lyricists, I'm sure, and nixing and

changing and editing things as well. It doesn't

always happen like Bernie Taupin sending Elton some lyrics, and then Elton does the music. Sometimes it does happen that way, but I have a

feeling a lot more of those lyrics are Eric's than

you think. Cheer up, maybe Eric's next album will

have more live instruments on it, and some songs

written totally by Eric "all by himself." In the

meantime, Marvin, things AREN'T hopeless! Smile,

don't say "UGH"! --Darlene

Marvin,

Your post on 9/11 was a terrorist attack on my emotional state. My adoration of Eric is totally deflated, my spirits are severely crushed, and I can no longer listen to "Winter Dreams" or any other Eric Carmen CD. I am going into a long state of hibernation, my theme song being "I Wanna Sleep Forever Tonight". I am signing off forever from Ericcarmen.com.....NOT!!!!!!!

Steveh :rolleyes:

Darlene and everyone else, I never said that Eric DID NOT write lyrics anymore, I said he doesn't focus on lyrics as much as he does on writing melodies. I believe that I read somewhere where he even said that he is more a melodist than a lyricist. Nothing wrong with that. When he wants to, he can still churn out a great melody and tie it to great lyrics (i.e. the entire "Boats" album, and stuff like "Desperate Fools", and "The Way We Used to Be.")

Marvin

Steve, Both of these songs are wonderful tunes. I voted for "Forever" because the lyrics are excellent. But I actually like to listen to the Cetera/Bernard version better than Eric's. (sorry gang!)

Any male listening to Bernards voice inflections in that song who doesn't feel a little "romantic" needs a check up! So I guess I am saying that I would rather have Crystal sing those lyrics to me than Eric. Sorry big guy!

As for marvin and your opinions... I want to echo Tony Cartmills sentiments, I think Tony expressed it perfectly.

IT IS IRONIC THAT IN OCTOBER OF 1979 ERIC PUT FORTH ONE OF THE SOFTEST PERFORMANCES ON AMERICAN BANDSTANDS HISTORY...PUTTING TO REST A DECADE OF SELF INDULGENCE AND IRREVERSIBLE STD'S.

ERIC PROCLAIMS IN SUCH A MACHO MANNER WHILE WEARING SUCH AN INTIMIDATING PURPLE JUMPSUIT THAT HE IS..."ALL BY MYSELF"

THIS PERFORMANCE LED TO A SEMESTER OF BOTH JOKING AND SATIRE BASED ON THE LITTLE JADED BOY FROM OHIO AND OF THE "SOFTNESS" WHICH HE SO INSTILLED.

Tony, Eric has always been so impeccable about his appearance, and also so much his own person, I would think that HE chose his hairstyles and outfits onstage. I think in one of the archived interviews, a woman from the record company or something says she went shopping with Eric for stage clothes, but I'm sure all this stuff was ultimately his decision. It doesn't sound like Eric to let someone else choose something so personal for him. And I think he always did just fine...As for his music, I think THAT was the most important thing to him: getting the music out there and heard by the audience just as he wanted it heard.--Darlene