Badfinger to play with Raspberries in Waukesha!

Razzy

Wow...

This just keeps getting better and better!

Badfinger playing before the Raspberries!! I will also be going to see Head East on Thursday - Maybe stay for some Rick Springfield the same night, Roger Hodgson Saturday night (Don't you love how they misspelled his name on the event website [Hodgins?] lol {FYI If you like Supertramp, the last time I saw Roger solo was about 6 years ago and he did 16 Supertramp songs! He still sounds great!}, and of course the coup de gras will be Sunday!! If you are not too concerned with going for the reserved seats, you will be able to get in for $7.00!

Tim

I see that 'Bowling For Soup' is playing along with the 'Berries and Badfinger. I heard them play live Friday on NYC's WPLJ-FM's live broadcast from the Jersey Shore...and they're great! They've got a hit out right now called '1985', but what caught my ear was an incredibly fun, audience participating version of "Hey Baby" ("I wanna kno--o--ow, will you be my girl?". If you go to the Wisconsin concert...stay for "BFS"...you'll be berry glad you did.

Dave

Can I ask the politest of questions here?

What's left of Badfinger to play?

Can any form of Badfinger that exists today truly still be called Badfinger?

I ask this question out of all ignorance. I am truly curious. Because from what little I know, it doesn't seem to be that any form of Badfinger today is Badfinger in the same sense that the current incarnation of Raspberries is, well, Raspberries. That's all I'm saying.

In answer to Trindy's question about who's in 'Badfinger' today, that would be Joey Molland only. To call his group Badfinger is a bit of an insult, in my opinion (although I think he call's it 'Joey Molland's Badfinger' which takes the sting off a bit). Joey's a first-rate player and when you hear him sing lead on the classic Badfinger chestnuts, you'd swear it was he on LVs originally. But alas, it was not. With Raspberries, you get the real deal; w/ Badfinger, you're getting, well, Joey Molland.

A quick synopsis for the uninitiated:

The original Badfinger band was Pete Ham, Mike Gibbins, Tommy Evans, and Joey Molland. Joey is an original member as much as Ringo is an original member of The Beatles. As The Iveys, the band had an Apple album in 1968 that was released in a few European countries (Not the US or UK). Joey joined the band in 1969. In early 1970, Apple released "Magic Christian Music" which included the three songs the band did for the soundtrack of that film, a few new songs, and a bunch of stuff from The Ivey's album "Maybe Tomorrow". By that point, Joey had joined and the band had changed their name to Badfinger and so the album was released under that name but it's really an Iveys hodge podge. The first real Badfinger album is 1970's "No Dice". The stylistic differences between The Iveys and Badfinger are very pronounced. The Iveys were very much a '60s pop band teetering on bubblegum while Badfinger was a melodic rock band. The original Badfinger band did three albums for Apple and two for WB. All four members contributed material to the band with Pete and Joey contributing the most. Pete wrote all of the hits, save for the one by McCartney. A third WB album was recorded in 1975 without Joey (Joey quit due to disagreements over the band's management) but remained unreleased for over 20 years. Pete killed himself in 1975. Joey and Tommy reformed Badfinger in the late '70s and recorded two more albums. In 1982, Tommy killed himself. In 1985, Joey and Mike reformed Badfinger again. Mike left after a few years and Joey has continued to this day now calling the band Joey Molland's Badfinger. Unfortunately, Joey is all that is left of the original band. Regarding the Wisconsin show, the website is a little premature as it's still tentative regarding Joey. He hasn't received a contract or agreed on a fee yet.

Barb's pretty much summed it up. And the Badfinger world is not nearly as happy a place as the Raspberry world, obviously. The fans tend to bicker with each other over it all - some folks blaming Joey and his wife Kathie for what happened to Pete and Tom, and others acting like Joey was the only talented one and single-handedly saved the band from obscurity.

I've always been somewhere in between. Joey is and was great, and should be recognized for many fine contributions to that band, but he wasn't the guy who wrote the hits or sang them, and it's not really Badfinger any more. Also, maybe it's a little unfair to people who don't know the story (and possibly to Pete and Tom) to call it "Bafinger", even if he puts "Joey Molland's" in front of the name. Just my opinion, of course, but how would you feel about "Ringo Starr's Beatles"? Or "Wally Bryson's Raspberries"?

On the other hand, he plays the songs well, always credits Pete and Tom for the songs they wrote and/or sang, and is super generous with the fans and autographs, etc. I had a great time when I saw them, and would recommend anybody who likes that music to go see them. I just wish he wouldn't call it Badfinger.

- Jack

• 1 month later...

I don't believe Mike Gibbins is involved with Joey's band at this point...he's living a quiet life in Florida, releases solo albums and plays the odd gig.

Mike did far more than just sing backup...he wrote and sang lead on some excellent songs, and even played some guitar, on the latter Badfinger LPs. Songs like "In the Meantime" and "My Heart Goes Out" were pretty great.

BFBarb could fill us all in on the activities of Mr. Gibbins (often misspelled as "Gibbons") better than I.

Howard

For some reason I was thinking back to last December when Molland went on a Christmas tour as Badfinger and there was a lengthy thread on another webisite that I contributed to.

Evidently I did some research at that time because I was thinking of attending a local show if Gibbins was along, however my own post says that this was the line-up:

Joey Molland

Mark Healey

John Richardson

Billy Davis

Steve Wozny

I stand corrected....short term memory is the first thing to go...... spin

Joey Molland is coming to the Midland, Michigan's County Fair on Wednesday, August 17. Known as the WHNN Rockin' Wahooza, go to: http://whnn.com/misc13583.asp as well as: http://www.midlandfair.com/Fair%20Entertainment/FairEntertainment.htm as well as: http://www.midlandfair.com/Fair%20Entertainment/WHNNPressRelease.htm for more information on the concert. There is also a "Badfinger" DVD that came out in 2000 including an appearance on Kenny Rogers' "Rollin' On The River" which they do "Baby Blue" & an "Midnight Special" NBC appearance on the song "Suitcase" & other rare stuff. Matt