Rolling Stone's "From The Vault"

blackhawkpat

Every issue of Rolling Stone shows the current charts and they also include a random "From The Vault" of top ten singles from a particular issue.

The current issue, dated 02/07/08 and with Radiohead's Thom Yorke on the cover, is featuring the top ten from their 01/28/88 issue featuring George Michael (the guy from Wham not the Sports Machine!).

Take a gander at page 94, baby!!!!!!

Checkin' in at number eight, is are own Eric Carmen with "Hungry Eyes"!!!!!!!

(Nice to see a top ten featuring Eric, George Harrison, Elton John, and the Bangles compared to what they have in the top ten now.)

It's very small, but anytime we get to see an EC mention in a national magazine is still cool to me!

Well...its nice to see EC's name in print, but Hungry Eyes has to be one of my most hated singles of all time...even more than "Don't Worry , be Happy". I turn it off whne I hear it on the radio...

I just can't figure out how it went so high in the charts when some real masterpieces didn't even put a dent on the charts er: She Did It, Hurt's Too Much, End of The World, Boats...I think if Arista had paid more attention, EC would have had 4 or 5 other high charting tunes..

bahooey

It's so hated I'm STILL getting royalty checks, 20 years later, and it's one of the three most requested songs on my myspace page. I agree that it's pretty criminal that Boats never achieved that status, but, the way I see it, Hungry Eyes made up for some of the ones that should have. Love it, or hate it, the Dirty Dancing soundtrack album sold over 20,000,000 copies and was a smash hit all over the world.

ec

Look, here's the deal. "Hungry Eyes" is a decent song, maybe even good.

But it wasn't an "Eric Carmen song". It was obvious from the first listen and so I never fell in love with it. I was a little snooty too back then and would tell people that "Hungry Eyes" is not the real Eric Carmen, that they should go listen to my Eric Carmen albums and get the real thing etc etc.

But there's nothing negative about "Hungry Eyes". It's a decent/good song AND many people enjoyed/enjoy it AND it got Eric Carmen's name out to the masses AND it's making money for the artist. That's all positive.

There's no basis for running the song into the ground, IMHO.

I've never been particularly fond of ANY soundtrack movie songs - with the exception of maybe Louie Louie from Animal House or anything from American Graffiti and maybe, just maybe from the Big Chill.... that's about it for me.

I would much rather hear "Hungry Eyes" or any other Eric Carmen "Hit" than most anything else from the late 80's. It was his chance to get back on the charts along with "Make me Lose Control". Hungry Eyes hit #4 and Make me lose Control was #3 on Billboard. It was Great to hear "that voice" again on the radio and VH1.

Don

I'm with Andy on this one. I can't stand "Hungry Eyes." I will say that Eric sang the heck out of the song and gave it some life. I think that this is a perfect case of the popularity of the movie pushing the soundtrack.

What's with you Canadian guys, trashing Eric on his own site?

So what if "Hungry Eyes" wasn't his own song? So what if it didn't match up, artistically, to other Raspberries and EC songs? It was a HUGE hit, turning up on the radio every 10 minutes, serving as a great tie-in to a box-office smash. I bet there were 1,000 other singers who would have killed to record "Hungry Eyes."

Ultimately, it put Eric back into the Top 40 for the first time in several years, and it also put him on the road in front of people again (for better or for worse). Despite the way the Dirty Dancing tour ended, "Hungry Eyes" was a good move.

Now, if Eric had been represented by Marv & Andy Artist Management Inc. back in the 1980s, I'm sure you guys would have steered him clear of "Hungry Eyes." But you'd have missed out on an opportunity to get Eric some well-deserved attention.... IMHO, it's not a bad song at all.

I've gotta stick up for Marvin here...I'm not a huge 'Hungry Eyes fan either. I AM a big Eric Carmen/Raspberries fan, but I don't like every song. My Favorite all time band is the Hollies, but if I never heard their version of 'Blowin In The Wind' or 'Purple Rain' again that would be fine with me. I have stated this on the Hollies board I post at. I think it's pretty evident Marvin is a huge Eric fan.

Well, Allan's voice started to deteriorate around 1980 till by 1990 it was so nasal it was distracting.Starting at their reunion album ['What Goes Around] they relied on outside writers and the songs were not nearly as good as the ones they were writing prior. Purple rain is probably my alltime least favorite Hollies sung song with Allan participating.

"Well...its nice to see EC's name in print, but Hungry Eyes has to be one of my most hated singles of all time...even more than "Don't Worry , be Happy". I turn it off whne I hear it on the radio..."

You are joking right? Or am I just a little slow on the uptake? If you do a Google on it you will find some incredible statistics on this song.

One thing on the Hollies....I always use to love them, thought they were great, but I am sure I remember Eric saying that the Raspberries were on before them one time and the Hollies got mad because the guys got the crowd jumping. I don't know, I always think of that when I hear a Hollies song. Maybe I got it wrong.

Anyway....

Rolling Stone shows the current charts ...

The current issue, dated 02/07/08 Take a gander at page 94, baby!!!!!!

Checkin' in at number eight, is are own Eric Carmen with "Hungry Eyes"!!!!!!!

Thank You for pointing it out for me, I missed it and was about to toss it away.

I don't read Rolling Stone very carefully anymore.

BTW - I love Hungry Eyes it is a great song to slow dance to with your sweetheart.

Plus, everybody knows this song how could you not love it when it starts to play?

I was so excited when I first heard this song. I knew I knew this voice and I was so happy to hear this song in the movie. Imagine not having a hit for a few years and not being able to find any music by Eric for so long and then I go to the movies and there it was, that wonderful voice I have loved. How exciting!! Yes I love this song, It put Eric on the charts, in the movies, on tour and on the map again. YEAH!! We got another song and a new album Best of and for someone who have not been able to find any music this was a gold mine. Yes I love this song. It's a fun song and everytime I hear it on the radio I am happy for Eric.

June LuvLove

Love the song and the video. But I have to admit I fantasized about someone locally awhile ago and am now deeply disappointed. So, I just pretend I'm watching "Dirty Dancing" again!

There's a live tour of the play going around my area right now! How cool is that?

I agree with Donmand and June. Hated, shmated! From the way it sold, and from what I hear from people everyday when I mention Eric's music, people everywhere LOVE it! For some people, they even think Eric WROTE it, because they associate his voice with it so much. They love the song, they love his voice! When I mention that he wrote and sang a whole host of other things, they're very interested! Then I mention ABM and they KNOW who he is. Then, of course, I start on Raspberries...

However you get people to like/listen to your music is the way to go. And Hungry Eyes is one of the songs MANY people like! Who ever thought DD would be such a hit? Certainly not the *actors*! Go figure...Ya never know...

But *any* way I can focus attention on Eric and Raspberries, I do it. Hungry Eyes is a *good* thing!

smile --Darlene