Be Warned: Mushy Topic

Julie

Okay, by some miracle, I have a wonderful new man in my life. It happened very fast and he's actually someone that I've known since we were 8, but we never spent any time together or hung out with the same people or anything. As it happens, fate has brought us together.

As we were getting to know each other, the subject turned to music and what we like, etc... He said he didn't know who Eric was, but when I sang him snipits of songs, he was like, "oh, I love that song". So, he loves the music, but only has been exposed to the stuff that's been on the radio. I want to make him a CD to listen to, but alas, in all my years, I've only listened to Eric when I was miserable (isn't that sad?) and I want to introduce him to the good stuff. But, I don't want to get into the hard-core stuff just yet--I need to break him in slowly.... wink

What songs should I introduce him to first? I'm thinking the first one should be "My Heart Stops" because, that's truly how he has affected me....I bet Darlene would find this a most excellent choice and I'm thinking Marvin thinks it's dumb? spin (Sorry Marvin, just like to give you a bad time sometimes--but I do respect your opinions).

Okay, give me your best ideas. Thanks!

Julie

Julie:

Happy to hear about your love life success! I've always been partial to "Sunrise" the song that introduced us all to EC's solo career. I'd follow that with a familiar song/ballad (ABM or NGFILA) so your new friend heard something he recognizes ("oh, yeah, THAT guy") then rock him with "It Hurts too Much".

Julie, don't do "My Heart Stops"!!!! That would turn anyone away from Eric! If you want a ballad, go with something that's strong on melody and lyrics, e.g. "Boats" or "Desperate Fools" or even "The Way We..." If you want a more uptempo piece, go with "Last Night", "My Girl", "She Did It" or "It Hurts.."

Marvin

For GOD's sake, nothing from WD, unless you want to drive him away for sure! crazy

Do something similar to what's on the EC greatest hits CD, as those songs appeal to the widest audience - Hurts Too Much, Hey Deanie, That's Rock and Roll, ABM, Make Me Lose Control, Go all the way (you have to give him a few ideas!), Boats. It all depends on if he appreciates slow sad songs. Add "All for Love", "Tonight You're Mine" and "Sleep with me" from the "Tonight You're Mine" album. That will give him the message for sure!

You could always make 2 CDs - one to listen to when you two are together - slow romantic music, soft lighting, fireplace, a bit of wine, little lacy clothing, bearskin rug (or is that bare skin?) - you get the idea. Then you could give him stuff to listen to when he's at home - the more 'pop' stuff - Hurts too Much, et al.

No matter what else you put on your CD, you can't go wrong with "Go all the way" and "Hurts too Much". Hell, if my two year old begs for HTM every time we get in the car, your boyfriend is bound to love it too. If not, dump that creep now! happy

Michelle

I totally disagree! WD offers an excellent new exposure to Eric. "Isn't It Romantice", and "I Could Really Love You" show off a nice range of work. His cover of "Walk Away Renee" is a good conversation starter for us oldies-but-goodies. As a refresher course, of course you have to drop the needle on "GATW", "ABM", and "Hungry Eyes". Then rest for a while. Don't push too much Eric on him in one dose. Over the next few weeks find out what OTHER kind of music he likes. Then match your EC selections to his musical tastes. Dave

Julie, Isn't it great that you have the variety of so many opinions?! Listen to all of us, then make up your own mind!

I would do "My Girl" and "American As Apple Pie" first. Hey Deanie is excellent also. I would stay away from mushies or ballads right away.

I introduced Eric's music to my husband by first playing every Raspberries album for him and he said "Those guys are really good!" Then I progressed to Eric's 1st album "Sunrise" was first. Then went on from there. Have fun! And have fun with the new guy in your life!

I hope in a couple of years we'll hear that you're expecting a blessed event! (whom you can name either Eric or Carmen!)

smile --Darlene

The first songs of Eric's I started my husband-to-be with were "Hurt's too much" (I was just breaking up with my fiance when my hubby-to-be came along) and "Tonight You're Mine". The first summed up the mood I was in crazy , and the second was just such a cool song, we both agreed. I can definately claim that they helped me get the man! eek And, we celebrated 12 years together in June, so Eric can be blamed for that too! happy

Michelle

Just in case it's not absolutely clear to everyone, "Hurt's too Much" is pretty much the ONLY song ever played at our home. My toddler asks for it everytime we get in the car, and if he can't hear it, he goes insane. As my husband so eloquently summed it up, "It's a damn good thing you like that song!" Even granny was clapping along to it when she was visiting, and in her words, "My, this is a catchy little song." Good thing the little guy's favorite song isn't "Tonight You're Mine" or "Go All the Way". Not the type of songs to be singing at playschool! happy

I do have to admit, even I am getting sick of "Hurt's Too Much" (if you can believe it!). I didn't think it was possible, but it is after say, oh, a million listens or so, it does become a little grating, and it would be nice to hear something, ANYTHING, else!

Michelle

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We are not seeing each other any more, so it's back to "All By Myself" and "The Way We Used To Be" and "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again".

Actually, I don't think it's over for good. We have become great friends and for now, that is going to have to be enough. In retrospect, it's better to move things along slowly.

Thank you all so much!!

--Julie

Julie, There are two lessons I've learned from my life experience, because they keep coming true:

1) Things are never what they seem. For example, one would think love would come when you want it the most (and musical accomplishments too!), because that's when you're trying the hardest. However, that's exactly when they do not come. Because you are trying too hard, you scare them away. The answer to that one is to become happy without it, and tell yourself that either you don't need (or want it) or that it will come sometime, but that if it doesn't, you will be happy anyway. That's about the time (when you don't think you need it anymore) that you get it!

Go figure.

2)The second thing is a happy surprise and you don't have to do anything to get this one: NOTHING is irrevocable! No matter what a mess you have made of a relationship or situation, or what a blunder things turned out to be, when enough time has passed (and you don't care anymore--see Lesson #1 above!), the person (s) involved will always be receptive to "coming around" again, and you will always have the possibility of things even coming to a romantic bliss beyond what was possible before! This always happens! Maybe it's the old saw "I didn't know what I had till I lost it..." but whatever it is, NOTHING, AND I REPEAT, nothing is irrevocable, no matter what horrible thing you have done to someone, or vice versa.

Families who would never speak to each other for forty years, suddenly act as though nothing has happened, given enough time. (Remember Lesson #1 above: This only happens as long as you did very well without them and they noticed.) In fact, the better you did without them, the more they will notice and the quicker this will come true! I would say there might be a blessed event in your future named either "Eric" or "Carmen" yet! But you're right, going too fast is not a good thing. Good Luck from the "Old Philosopher", Aunt Antonietta.

smile --Darlene

Julie,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out with the new guy as you'd wanted it too. You didn't scare him off with WD did you? crazy We told you not to share that album with anybody! laugh You didn't even possibly THINK of WD did you? We warned you that that album was bad news and would scare off a potential suiter...

Michelle