ABM played in the movie "Bedtime Stories"

Sherberries

I think the song was effectively out of everyone's consciousness until Celine / David Foster revived it. Just a guess here, but I'd bet there many fewer covers / and less exposure between the time of Eric's original recording and when Celine re-recorded it, compared to the years from her recording going forward. After she did the song, people were re-acquainted with Eric's original recording.

Actually, pre-CD (Celine Dion), "All By Myself" had solidly become a "pop standard" with versions appearing on record as well as on TV variety shows sung by the likes of Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Hank Williams Jr., Eartha Kitt, John Davidson, and Carmen McRae—among countless others. Without question, David Foster's arrangement and Celine's mega-superstar-status shot the song into the stratosphere, but it was clearly a "go to" song for singers before Celine decided to sing it.

Actually, pre-CD (Celine Dion), "All By Myself" had solidly become a "pop standard" with versions appearing on record as well as on TV variety shows sung by the likes of Tom Jones, Frank Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Hank Williams Jr., Eartha Kitt, John Davidson, and Carmen McRae—among countless others. WIthout question, David Foster's arrangement and Celine's mega-superstar-status shot the song into the stratosphere, but it was clearly a "go to" song for singers before Celine decided to sing it.

Again I'm guessing here, but I think all those covers that you mention Bernie, came in the early days (years) after Eric's recording. I don't think "ABM" was covered much during the 1980's, and leading up to Celine's cover. I know that this subject has been covered (pun not intended) ad nauseum, but at the time of Celine covering the song, she was probably the biggest-selling female singer in the world. Her recording brought the song to new ears and older ears were reawakened.

I remember the first time I saw Bert Convy sing ABM on a talk show. I think that was the first inkling I had that this wasn't going to be just any "ordinary" hit song. But even I'm surprised by its longevity.

Which reminds me: this weekend, the '70s on 7 Sirius XM channel replayed Casey Kasem's American Top 40 show from New Year's Day 1977, running through the top 50 hits of 1976. ABM clocked in at #40.