Question for Clevelanders - Re: Choir Reunion Show

JohnO

How far is the R&R Hall of Fame from, let's say, the Beachland Ballroom? It looks like there are several motels/hotels within 5-6 miles of Beachland. If I'm flying up there for the show, I figure I might as well stay for a day or two and take in the R&R HOF. Just wondering how far a drive it is....

It is about a ten minute drive from the Beachland to downtown where the R & R HOF is located. I would suggest stayong at a hotel on the Eastside of Cleveland (Euclid, Willoughby, Mentor, Etc) which should give you great access. The airport is located on the West side of town and about a 35 minute drive from the Beachland.

JohnO, while you're at the R&R Hall of Fame, remind them that there's a band in their own back yard that should be inducted. If Percy Sledge, AC/DC, Ritchie Valens, Buffalo Springfield, and the Lovin' Spoonful, are in the Hall, so too should Raspberries. I'm not saying any of those acts shouldn't be in, but... if they're in, there's a place for Raspberries. The omission is a travesty, when you think about it. And that's not just "obsessed fan opinion"... It's about impact and quality.

The only possible argument against Raspberries is their relatively short run, but Buffalo Springfield (three albums) blows up that theory. I guess Valens does, too, even though it was a tragedy that made his career short---he was 17 when he died. (Heck, if he's in the Rock HOF, then Thurman Munson belongs in baseball's Hall! A major player whose career was cut short....)

The argument FOR Valens and Buffalo Springfield and few others was that they made a huge impact. If that's the criteria, then there's no reason to shut out the 'berries....

This is a patch from the Hall's site describing criteria:

----------------------------------------------

"Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist’s contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year."

-----------------------------------------