Mike Gibbins of Badfinger R. I. P.

Don_Krider

Sad news for Badfinger fans. May the friends and family of Mike Gibbins of Badfinger know how much we truly loved him.

According to Billboard.Com of Oct. 5:

Badfinger Drummer Michael Gibbins Dies

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Badfinger drummer Michael Gibbins died yesterday (Oct. 4) in his sleep at his home in Florida at the age of 56. A cause of death was not made public. Funeral and visitation details can be found on Gibbins' official Web site.

Originally known as the Iveys, the group rose to fame in the late '60s as the first act signed to the Beatles' Apple label. It was the beneficiary of the Paul McCartney-penned "Come and Get It," which was a top-5 U.K. hit in 1968 and eventually reached No. 7 on the Billboard pop singles chart in 1970.

Several members of the group had their hands in notable post-Beatles sessions, including John Lennon's "Imagine" and George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass," plus Harrison's 1972 "Concert for Bangladesh." As previously reported, the latter project will be reissued Oct. 25 on CD/DVD via Rhino.

Despite critical acclaim and a handful of hit singles, Badfinger never achieved the massive success many had predicted. On April 23, 1975, frontman Pete Ham committed suicide; bassist Tom Evans and guitarist Joey Molland reactivated the group with a new lineup in 1978, but after years of infighting, Evans took his own life on Nov. 19, 1983.

Gibbins released his lone solo album, "A Place in Time," in 1998 via the Forbidden label.

"I spoke to Mike on Monday afternoon," Molland tells Billboard.com. "He was in good spirits and we were looking forward to seeing each other at the 'Bangladesh' re-release event in [Los Angeles] on Oct. 17."

Molland continues, "Mike and I had a falling out some time ago but we had been very much in touch with each other over the last five or six months, I'm happy to say, and we were starting to talk about the future."

"Mike was a great friend to us all, a great rock drummer, father and husband," Molland says. "Courageous and honest in all things, he will be sorely missed by all who knew him."

Don

Something not mentioned in the Billboard article was that Mike played drums on Bonnie Tyler's # 1 hit "It's A Heartache."

I think it would be a gorgeous tribute to the memory of Badfinger if Raspberries would cover "No Matter What" in California. I talked to the surviving member of Badfinger, Joey Molland, back in 1993 after a show and he's a huge Raspberries fan (and I believe all the 'Berries are equally big fans of Badfinger).

For me, Raspberries and Badfinger are almost one thought. I can't think of one without thinking of the other --- the two bands were my teenage years, and they mean more to me than anyone can imagine, ranking with my love of The Beatles.