reactions to heading to concert.....

AnniekNY

Hi all -

it's a good thing I 'm a busy crazed lunatic leading up to the concert...I'm so excited! So much to remember to bring with me!

But...the reason for the post: I've had the coolest reactions from people when they asked "what are you doing thanksgiving weekend?"

I get a lot of "Hey....I remember the Raspberries!!!!"

followed by " You're really going to Cleveland, Ohio from NY for the weekend to see a group that hasn't played together for 30 years?"

then followed by "oh man...that is so COOL!" and the general realization that life is for living to the fullest - do what you love and regret nothing.

thanks, boys, for this opportunity to see and hear you and to meet a bunch of people that are among the kindest, brightest and funniest drawn together by you.

(the *boys* are Eric, Wally, Jim, Dave, Bernie, Ken...)

I'm saying this here and now because I will be tongue-tied and stupid at the meet and greet.

love ya - anniekny

Hey Annie!

Geez, you are lucky! I am not getting that many great responses....! My sister thinks I am 'nuts', and hopes that I will 'get over' them after the concert. Even though I secretly thinks she wishes she was going! My good friend thinks I am crazy for spending all that money on a concert, not to mention, it's Raspberries....who she says she has never heard of. Arghhh! I get frustrated trying to explain them to people! My dear hubby thinks it will be fun, it will be an adventure, and can't wait. I simply cannot thank him enough for doing this for me and fulfilling my one big dream, to see them in concert. I don't care about the money, I don't care that I am getting old (45) and have put on a few pounds....when I see them I will feel young again!

What a thrill for all of us! See you all next Friday!

My brother and I are driving from the Twin Cities on Thanksgiving evening. We'll stop somewhere along the way to sleep, then pick it back up again in the morning until we get to Cleveland. 770 miles one way.

I'm 34 and by brother is 44. He unknowingly turned me on to the Raspberries about 1976 when I was six and would listen to whatever he listened to. I was hooked at a VERY early age. Along with the Beatles, they were the first music groups I listened to. Over the last 30 years or so, I've still listened to them on and off. My musical tastes, though, haven't changed much as many of the bands that I've enjoyed over the past 15 years are very heavily influenced by the Raspberries "power pop" sound.

Most people I know my age have "heard" of the Raspberries, but can't understand why I would trek out to Cleveland for basically a 48-hour trip (we have to head right back home non-stop after the show) to see these guys. They don't get it. I can't explain it to them. It's sentimental. It's historical. It's meeting these guys in person. It's being with virtually everybody on this list who finds this band amazing. It's listening to Raspberries, Beatles and Badfinger songs along the way. It's all that and so much more wrapped into one.

I can't wait until a week from today to meet most of you at the preshow. My brother Bill and I will be the ones with the "Fresh" albums in our hands and the smiles on our faces!

See, I honestly believe that the people who think we're nuts (my family (brother, dad etc. in particular - you're not alone!!) are actually jealous that we have something about which we are so passionate.

We are willing to sacrifice other monetary things to achieve a dream. Isn't that what truly living is all about? And won't we be in great company doing it all together??!! THAT doesn't happen frequently either!!

Can't wait......

I actually travel around the country for shows several times a year so no one is raising an eyebrow at my trip. I go to at least one new city every year. People generally expect me to be going somewhere to see someone. I prefer to do it during baseball season, however, so I can work a game(s) into my itinerary. I'm disapointed I won't be able to see a game at Jacob's Field this trip!

I have to say that as a native of Northeast Ohio who has returned home after about 20 years, I'm getting terribly excited just hearing about all of YOU getting so excited about coming! (And do I feel lucky about the New Year's Eve show or what????) I feel I can comfortably predict that you are all going to love your visit to Cleveland (although a certain four guys might have more to do with that than anything else!). The city is going to be all decorated for the holidays (this work is already well in progress), and the "official lighting" will be Saturday night for those of you who will still be around that night. My younger sister and I are planning on coming downtown Saturday in time for that, as it just so happens that I won tickets for a Cavs game that night (yep, it's the Razz on Friday and LeBron James on Saturday!).

Just last week the sidewalk in front of the HOB was all ripped out. I guess they fixed that up pretty quickly. This Friday's Plain Dealer devoted several pages to a description and photos. It just whetted my appetite all the more for the show...for several weeks now I've been coming out of work (I work in a building that's part of the Tower City complex), seeing that lit-up sign and thinking "soon, soon..."!

If there's anything more unbelievable than the fact that these guys are getting back together and I'm lucky enough to be alive and living in Cleveland at the time, it can only be that they're doing it AGAIN in such a short period of time...I don't imagine as many of you will make that show, but for those who can make it to this one, we will have the pleasure of sharing the Moment When They Started Over! I look forward to meeting many of you there...I guess I'll just have to be un-shy and go up to anyone with a Raspberry ribbon and introduce myself.

And to all those who can't be there, here's hoping that this is just the beginning and that the boys pay a visit to YOUR neck of the woods really soon. Hey, now that there's a second show, it's beginning to look all the more possible, eh, guys?

Razzy-Don't feel bad, I'm flying out by myself on Friday. I usually fly once or twice a year for conventions and meetings. I asked my husband and he didn't want to come with me. So I'm going solo. I usually take taxis or hotel shuttles, and don't get too very nervous, although I don't venture out too much at night unless I'm with a group. I think some of my family and friends think I'm nuts too, but when they realize it is a dream come true for me they are happy for me in realizing it. smile

Hi Laura! I think we will be on the same flight if you are flying out of Milwaukee. I can email you and let you know which one we will be on if you would like. I really admire you for doing this on your own, wow, that is really gutsy! I would never be able to do that by myself. I am pretty shy at first until you get to know me! This is really a BIG adventure for me, my husband is more used to traveling than I am, although I am really getting to love it!...razzy........

Well, today I told all of my patients that I'm not going to be in on Friday...cause I'm "going to Cleveland to see the Raspberries !" You would not believe HOW excited these people are for me.

It's the coolest thing!! Now I KNOW I'm going to be spending too much money on tshirts, etc. How can I come back empty handed ?? spin Most of them, and they're an older crowd, have not only heard of the band, but are able to sing a few bars of "Go All The Way". Guess how much fun my day at work was !!!! happyhappy Marlene

KevG - Let's hook up our wives, mine thinks I'm bit crazy too. On 2nd thought my wife knows how much it costs so she might let the bag out of the cat. On 3rd thought , you can be sure someone will spill the beans during a conversation. Just tell her up front and get it over with. AFterwards she'll realize it was worth every cent.

Ted

My teacher friends at school are excited for me! Many of them heard of the Raspberries and they basically know Eric from ABM and Hungry Eyes. One of the gorgeous young music teachers (she's so cute, she's like a little Valley girl) exclaimed:

"Oh, you're going to see HIS group??? I just LOVE the song Hungry Eyes. I just LOVE his voice! Dirty Dancing is my FAVORITE MOVIE!" and she put her head back and looked so cute! Even the young people know Eric!

My girlfriend in Pennsylvania just actually bought a vinyl album "The Best of Raspberries!" She was describing the insert with all the newspaper stories, and was excited about the reunion! People who used to roll their eyes when we were being "passionate" about the group soon will be singing a different tune...How many of my predictions have come true? Anyone gonna argue with me???? I didn't think so...

smile --Darlene

I kind of know how I am going to feel, waiting for the first chord, because I was so absolutely expectant, sitting near the front on Eric's side at the New Brunswick, NJ show when he toured with Ringo. It had been so many years (like, 16) since I had heard Eric sing, I had tingles just waiting for that first note. When I heard it, I was transfixed. And so happy. And it was much more than everything I had hoped and waited for. I truly had tears in my eyes a lump in my throat.

With Raspberries, I'll be in that same "can't wait" mode, like everyone else. I just know that with the first chord, I'll be jubilant. I also know that everything I used to feel when I saw them live will wash over me. I just have this feeling 1972 will just come flooding back in HOB. And I'll be 24 or 25 again. And have more tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.They have a chemistry that time cannot erase. Trust me. For those who never heard them live, WHAT AN OPPORTUNITY!!!! All I can say is, (and Bernie can back me up completely) YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT. And you probably won't believe your eyes and ears...Have fun, because I know the fabulous four will be having a LOT of fun! They always DID...And I can't wait to hear "so BAD..." on I Wanna Be With You.

smile --Darlene

Mannoman, no worries, she knows I'm crazy, it won't really surprise her how much went into this evening.

She likes a new artist, Marc Broussard......we drove last week 3 hours each way back and forth from Pittsburgh on a work night just to see him open for 40 minutes for Los Lonely Boys.......Now that's crazy......just not quite as expensive......

I'll look for you at the show.

Kevin