Play On is never on an anthology

alproof

My favorite song of the '70s' "Play On," has yet to appear on a Raspberries anthology. I remember that it wasn't on Raspberries Best because EVERY song was a Carmen solo composition. But even Rose Coloured (pretentious British spelling, a la Chicago) Glasses was on at least one. Come on---where's "Play On"??!!

"Play On" is on the "Power Pop, Volume 2" CD collection from Cherry Red Records in England (the entire "Side 3" and "Starting Over" albums on a single CD; "Power Pop, Volume 1" is the entire "Raspberries" and "Fresh" LPs on one CD).

I agree it's a crime that it isn't on any "best of" or "greatest hits" sets.

On "Raspberries Best," I need to point out that every song is not an Eric Carmen "solo" composition --- "Drivin' Around" was co-written by Dave Smalley and "Don't Want To Say Goodbye" was co-written by Wally Bryson.

Don

I too love the song. In the back of my mind I always seen a movie or at least a video playing when I heard it. I'd love to see a new band bring it back with a video.Don't see how it could miss!

Then the next movie would be Partys Over, then Starting Over.I guess what I'd really like to see is a movie with only Raspberry songs !

I forgot about those other songs on Raspnerries Best---my mistake. I had the Power Pop CD with Side 3 and Starting Over, then I found TWO versions of "Play On" on Limewire---studio and a live one---couldn't figure if it was live Scott, live Berries '74, or live Berries '05, but it was good. Very cool that Eric dedicated it to Scott on the tour.

I understand the need for the "original 4" to be out there for the reunion, but even Wally has expressed hope that at some point Scott can be included some in upcoming events.

I've always felt a little sorry for Scott. He did a tremendous job on Starting Over but just as he got his feet wet, so to speak, the rug was pulled out from under him. Those early works with Eric, and I'm partial to "I Can Hardly Belive That You're Mine", were awesome! He and Eric made one helluva a writing team. For that man to make his living driving a bus, as I have read he does, is a pure musical tragedy. (Nothing against commercial driving, I've driven a rig for a living before.)

Obviously Dave embraced him enough to record with him a few years back so from the outside it looks to me like Jim might be the guy with a problem over the "scab" raspberries... and I hope he can overcome it.

Maybe down the road a bit we can have five full-fledged members. It's worked for a lot of groups and I think Scott deserves to be there too. Truth to tell, from what I've seen, he's the only 'Berry who's never publicly bashed one or more of his fellow members!