I admit...I really don't like...

hungryeyes

Tony, I think "Sleep With Me" is a great title. What was he supposed to do, call it "Morning Light"?!!! "Sleep With Me" is so beautiful and tasteful. I think he approaches it gently and beautifully. If a guy is going to ask a girl to sleep with him, this song illustrates the most beautiful, gentle, tasteful way to ask. It's so honest and sincere, not to mention gorgeous.

I can't believe you don't like it. I can't imagine what you think of "the Stones'" songs, or the Beatles' spoof on Jagger ( "Why Don't We D-Do It In The Road?")! haha. As for any rumors about being gay, no I never heard any, and I don't think anything like that would affect his choice of a song title. The thought of Eric being gay sounds ludicrous, at least to me....Why, what did you hear? And when? I never heard anything like that.

--Darlene

Tony, I think "Sleep With Me" is a great title. What was he supposed to do, call it "Morning Light"?!!! "Sleep With Me" is so beautiful and tasteful. I think he approaches it gently and beautifully. If a guy is going to ask a girl to sleep with him, this song illustrates the most beautiful, gentle, tasteful way to ask. It's so honest and sincere, not to mention gorgeous.

Man are you easy smile

Stut5: No I'm not! wink

Matthew: I think in Ken Sharp's book it said something about a heated disagreement over what kind of clothes they were going to wear onstage. Dave wanted to wear jeans or street clothes and Eric wanted to dress up (platform shoes were in then for bands), and Dave said something like he wasn't going to wear platform shoes and dress like a gay. And I think Eric (if I remember the book correctly) is supposed to have said he would rather dress like a gay (onstage) than an "itinerant farm worker," as best I can remember what Ken Sharp reported. Any rumors about being gay must have come from some misinterpretation of that event. Bernie knows everything, so I hope he will correct anything I got wrong in this post. --Darlene

Darlene,

I totally agree with you. Eric's songs express passion in the context of love and romance and respect, never implying sex without feeling or caring for the other person. I agree that "Sleep With Me" is a beautiful song; Eric usually expresses warmth combined with passion, especially in the post-Raspberries era.

Steveh

Julie, "All Through The Night" is racy, that's for sure, and so is "Tonight You're Mine." But then again, what rockers aren't racy? I remember blushing to myself when I first heard "All Through The Night," but I got used to it. But no one can beat Eric in the romantic, gentle, coaxing, respectful love ballad. Almost any girl would become easy with all that beautiful coaxing... --Darlene

Okay, I'm setting myself up for some abuse from everyone who loves "Boats Against the Current," but I don't care for the album as a whole, including the title song. There is an exception in "Love is All That Matters" which is lovely, but in general, the album isn't one I grab for a listen very often.

Love the song "Tonight You're Mine," despite the fact that I'm still not accustomed to hearing some of the phrases (I still think "Holy cow, is that really what he's saying?!). Some of the Raspberries lyrics do the same thing to me, but I love the songs nonetheless!

Least favorite Eric song for me is "Haven't We Come Along Way" from the Change of Heart album. This was also released as a single, I have the 45 but don't think it made it on the radio, around here anyway. Sounded too "disco" to me as did "End of the World" which kinda sound like the Bee Gees to me. Was real glad when Tonight You're Mine came out -- it was like night and day comparing this to Change of Heart.