Mystery Celebrity...

darlene

There were NO disappointments Friday night! Well, for me, there was one, teeny disappointment. There was a mystery celebrity at the concert who held about as much excitement for me as Raspberries, but in a completely different way...and my chance to meet her may have been lost forever.

Bernie told me that Eric's Aunt Muriel, who was a violist FOR 45 YEARS in THE CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA, (!!!!) was at the performance. I was dying to meet her, but because I am a complete stranger to her, I decided against trying. I asked Bernie if he could introduce me (he had met her three hours before!), but he said she probably wouldn't remember who he was, and I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable about being approached by strangers. I just thought, "Ahhhh...Paradise Lost!" I would have loved to talk to her about working under that old curmudgeon, George Szell, and about the beautiful, lush sound of the Cleveland Orchestra that has always been my favorite. I have records of "Aunt Muriel's" performances!!!! What a thrill it would have been to meet this grand lady! Oh well, I've learned that what Wally said is true: "Never say never..."

Aunt Muriel, what are your plans for New Year's Eve?...

smile --Darlene

Marvin, You even met AUNT MURIEL????!!!! I'm jealous!!! I should have ATTACHED myself to you! Maybe I wasn't meant to meet her just yet. I got so enraptured talking to Dennis Ferrante, I almost didn't get to thank the band! If I had started talking to Aunt Muriel about string playing, she and I would probably still BE there...I don't think anyone could ever upstage Raspberries in my eyes, but if anyone can, it isn't another band, it's Aunt Muriel.

smile --D

Hey Betsey! Did we have a great night or what! Lisa is a blast too!

Fred was just great to talk to - such a brother! Eric, I know you know you're very lucky to have him.

You're even LUCKIER that I'm a discreet listener - i wouldn't DREAM of posting the stories Fred told me about you....like the one where you dangled Baby Fred over the railing at that hotel...oops....wrong story!!!!! spinhappy

Fie on Eric! He must have really vexed Aunt Muriel...He's lucky *I* wasn't his teacher. If he didn't practice, he'd never get a reward sticker on *his* lesson page! Only kidding.

I would have charmed him into continuing by finding out his favorite songs, writing them in manuscript for him and teaching him to play them. I think it's a shame he quit playing the violin, because the piano is such a hard, unyielding instrument, and he plays it with such sensitivity, he would have been a truly extraordinary violinist. I can't imagine the range of colors he could have pulled out of the instrument. Actually, he expresses an almost unlimited range of tonal colors with his voice, so it's about the same thing. I wish I had been his violin teacher, though...

smile --Darlene