Paul Simon releases album

"The Paul Simon Songbook" first released in 1964/65 has been rereleased for all us rabid fans as of April 6th/2004. Geez, if Paul can remaster his oldest stuff that fans have been asking for (this album is rare, written in Emgland before he teamed up with Garfunkel to record the "Wednesday Morning 3 am" LP with the big hit "Sounds of Silence"), why can't Eric do the same? Hell, release all the stuff that's been written but never released. We'd be happy to get anything.

Michelle

I went to his "Born at the Right Time" tour about 1990, and I csn tell you from personal experience - there are definitely more than a few thousand fans! We ended up in the very last row of the collisium, which easily holds 40 000 people. The hippies in front of us were toking up, which made the experience a bit unpleasent. All we saw of Paul was a little orange t-shirt from a million miles away. I can't believe I paid $90 for a ticket!

Michelle

Which brings up a whole other topic - what's with everyone smoking dope at concerts? I get terrible migraines from the stuff, so I stay as far away from it as I can. We went to the U2 concert too, and it seemed everyone at the concert (probably 100 000 people) were all toking up. There was probably a big blue mushroom cloud hovering over the stadium.

Yes, we in Canada are trying to get it legalized, but it's my hope that the laws regarding smoking it will be the same for cigarettes - only outside. I guess Tony will be moving up here pretty fast when we can purchase marijauanna at the local 7-11.

Michelle

Well, "The Paul Simon Songbook" was NOT released before he teamed up with Art. Paul went to England after "Wednesday Morning 3AM" tanked in '64--which was years after working w/ Art as the duo Tom & Jerry (57-62)--and recorded a solo album in the summer of '65 which was only released in the UK that same year. Right around the same time Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" and The Byrds' "Mr Tambourine Man" were huge hits. Back in the states producer Tom Wilson took the original acoustic "Sound(s) of Silence" and revamped it a la Dylan and The Byrds with what was the trademark folk/rock sound. The single was released in December of '65 and went to number one and Paul decided to reform the duo.

With Eric or Raspberries, the commercial success probably doesn't warrant a rarities CD and unlike Paul Simon, he doesn't have a rare gem like "The Paul Simon Songbook" in the vaults. Eric could do such a thing (w/ a rarities CD), in limited release for members of this website, though.

Nope, I got the sarcasm. I was just reiterating the fact that, yes, Paul has a massive fan base, even years after the Simon and Garfunkel years. I know, I was in the last row...

Pierson, have to admit, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that post about Paul. I have the old Tom and Jerry album, so I know that he and Art had a whole career before he went to England. The Paul Simon Songbook is rare - only released in England - and I have a bootleg copy, although the quality is terrible. I sitll love listening to the songs, and I can't wait for a copy of the real album.

Geex, for someone who's followed Paul's life since I was 11, even celebrating his birthdays, and reading his biography 3x, I have no excuse for the mistakes I made in my previous post. Blame baby brain (yes, the baby is now two, but I'm going to milk it for a few years more!)

Michelle

"The Paul Simon Songbook" was recorded and released in the summer of 1965 while Paul was living in England. Paul moved there in late 1964 after the first Simon & Garfunkel album ("Wednesday Morning 3AM") flopped.

During the fall of '65, record producer Tom Wilson revamped "The Sound(s) Of Silence" a la Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" and The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man," thusly turning it into a folk/rock smash in December of '65. The success brought Simon back to the states to re-join Art Garfunkel (of whom he had a musical partenrship with, starting as early as 1957 when they were called Tom & Jerry).

Unlike any of Eric's unreleased backlog, this album was a legit recording that remained a rare import over the past 4 decades. Re-releasing it makes sense for both, historical and commercial interests. It's a key album in the evolution of folk rock and '60s pop.

It would be nice if Eric released a "rarities" disc which culled stuff from Cyrus Erie, The Quick, early 'Berries and one-off pre-Berries solo recordings that could be available to members of the website. And of course any demos of Raspberries material would also be very cool.