1998 almost Raspberries show

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Scott, there's a website for Scott McCarl's pre-Raspberries recording band, Yellow Hair, at http://www.yellowhair.com . It appears to be run by a band member from Yellow Hair. The 7th Cavalry uniforms the band wears in a poster reproduced on one page remind me of the way Gary Puckett & The Union Gap used to dress.

And for those familiar with Scott McCarl's backup vocal work with the band Glider (who cut one LP for United Artists Records in 1977 --- Scott's in the group photo on the back of the LP), I ran across a listing for Ted Myers, Glider's lead singer --- http://www.taxi.com/aandr.html (scan down the page until you hit "Ted Myers"). Myers is an nteresting guy whose songs have been recorded by Three Dog Night, Chilliwack and Seals & Croft, among others (2001 Grammy nominee for "Best Historical Album" producer), and he was an A&R guy for Rhino Records for 10 years as well.

The Glider "band" album is kind of late '70s generic pop showcasing Ted Myers as a singer and songwriter. Not much for Scott fans (he's credited with backup vocals only, so you can't hear his great bass guitar work).

Personally, I loved the "Refreshed" CD (released as "The Raspberries" when all the previous albums (with Eric) were "Raspberries" releases). Dave Smalley's "Pop Teasers" on that EP is a classic. The songs by Wally, Dave and Scott are as good as anything they did with Raspberries (Eric's songs are missed, but I loved the other guys songs on Raspberries albums, too).

Scott's "Play On" CD is a must-have album (including the demo that got Eric interested in Scott). The song "I'll Be On My Way" was co-written by Billy Sullivan of Overdubs fame (co-written with Brent Warren of The Action).

I've heard Titan Records may still have a few copies of the "Berries Off The Vine" video (1998 VHS with Scott, Wally, Dave and Jim), as well as Scott's "Play On" CD and the Scott McCarl vinyl 45 rpm single (with picture sleeve) "In Love Without A Girl" (the flipside is the non-album track cover of The Beatles' "This Boy," which is gorgeous). There's a mailing address and an email link for Titan Records (I'd inquire before ordering to see what may be available; the autographed copies of the CD, I believe, are probably all gone, since that page was created many years ago) at http://www.raspberries.net/titan.htm

A December 1998 interview with Scott McCarl: http://www.justeseninc.com/mccarl.htm --- Scott describes in his own words his thoughts on the two July 1998 Cleveland shows (the Odeon and the Hard Rock Cafe opening the same week), as well as the February 1998 Poptopia Festival appearance in Los Angeles (Scott backed by Wally).

Don Krider smile

As always Don, you're a plethora of information!

The Play On CD is great; and in does indeed encompass everything from his pre-Raspberries days to the time of it's release. I really enjoyed the song "Go Down Swingin'" and can imagine it would have been a fine song on a Raspberries LP had the group continued on with Scott... I haven't listened to it in some time and in fact it is packed with some other prized items in storage until my back-n-forth running with my father is over... I do recall that at the time I ordered it, Play On came autographed by Scott... not sure if Titan still has any of those left or not?

Berries off the Vine – part 1:

The Odeon Concert that eventually became “Berries off the Vine†or Raspberries (minus Eric) was born on a rainy night 5 months earlier. Scott McCarl had just played a Concert at the Dragonfly Club in LA on February 7, 1998 for the California Poptopia Music Festival. In December 1997 Scott released his 1st solo CD: “Play Onâ€. It was a stunning combination of melodic rock and power pop featuring 10 recent songs plus 7 bonus cuts. Included was an excellent cover of “Nobody Knows†from Fresh Raspberries. Scott recorded “Nobody Knows†after Ken Sharp suggested it would be a great song for him cover. “Nobody Knows†first appeared on a Power Pop CD titled “Yellow Pills†volume 3. An 18 song compilation that featured unknown but gifted bands and solo artists performing songs much in the same vein as the early Beatles, the Byrds, Badfinger and Raspberries. McCarl also added 7 bonus tracks culled from his recording vault. These were his early original compositions including “Don’t make Me Sad†and “I Hope†that were sent off to Eric Carmen. They were in fact the songs that got him in Raspberries for the Starting Over album and tour.

The 1998 Poptopia Festival was a 5-day music event that featured over 100 bands in multiple Clubs and Bars in Los Angeles. Each band was give 20-30 minutes to play their stuff. Scott recruited the Tearaways: a great power pop band from Santa Barbara, CA. to be his backing band. Scott also wanted to make the evening very special for all the fans (I flew in from Minnesota) that came to see his 1st solo Concert. He persuaded his old Raspberries buddy: Wally Bryson to fly in from Cleveland to perform. Wally Bryson agreed to play as a â€Special guestâ€. Scott opened with “Nobody Knowsâ€. He then performed a few of his songs including: “Fallin’ in Lovin†and “I Hopeâ€. He also tipped his hat to some legends like the Byrds: “I’ll feel a whole lot Better†and and the Beatles: “Yes It Isâ€. Scott’s vocals were a note perfect Lennon cover. Next up was the hard charging “Go Down Swinginâ€. Halfway thru the song: Wally Bryson walks on stage (in his trademark Raspberries hat) and Flying V in hand. Wally plugged in the V and “Go down Swingin†rocked with some added firepower! Scott then strapped on his Raspberries Rickenbacker and they tore into “Play On†(Scott’s signature song from the Starting Over album). Halfway thru the song Wally breaks a guitar string. Raspberries tech Kevin Dugan was standing in the front and motioned to Jesse Bryson for a new guitar. He handed it to Wally who “plugged in†and jumped right back in to the song without missing a note. Just in time for that stunning guitar solo you hear on the Raspberries record! Huge applause as the crowd went nuts! Scott had one more surprise for the lucky 400 fans that night. Original Knack drummer: Bruce Gary joined the band for a blistering cover of “Slow Downâ€. It turned into a 7-minute tour-de-force rocker with Scott and Wally sharing lead vocals. Bryson played a blistering solo that just smoked and traded guitar licks with David Hekhouse (Tearaways guitarist) for several minutes. A Great Night of Rock ‘n roll indeed.

On the ride back to the hotel. Wally remarked how much fun he had playing with Scott again. He said: “I was just getting warmed up, we’ve got to play again soonâ€. “We’ll have to do another gig…something maybe in Cleveland†(Not his exact quotes). Stay tuned for part 2…

I'm sure the Don's are aware of this, but nobody's mentioned so far about Scott's contributions to "Shoe Fetish", the tribute CD to The Shoes from several years ago. Scott & The Tearaways did a killer cover of "Never Had It Better", and Scott also did backing vocals on Al Chan's version of "Miss You" (which The Shoes recorded for, I believe, the initial Yellow Pills comp.)

I have the Shoes Fetish CD. Great cover by Scott and the Tearaways. I think McCarl and the Tearaways would make an incredible album. FYI: Our own Popdude (John B) was the mastermind behind the Shoes tribute CD. Great job: Popdude!

Don

John O wrote:

I'm sure the Don's are aware of this, but nobody's mentioned so far about Scott's contributions to "Shoe Fetish", the tribute CD to The Shoes from several years ago. Scott & The Tearaways did a killer cover of "Never Had It Better",

...the Scott McCarl vinyl 45 rpm single (with picture sleeve) "In Love Without A Girl" (the flipside is the non-album track cover of The Beatles' "This Boy," which is gorgeous).

Scott's version of "This Boy" will be featured on the CD that will accompnay the power pop book "Shake Some Action," to be released later this year...

I have the Shoes Fetish CD. Great cover by Scott and the Tearaways. I think McCarl and the Tearaways would make an incredible album. FYI: Our own Popdude (John B) was the mastermind behind the Shoes tribute CD. Great job: Popdude!

Thanks, Don. That disc was a lot of fun to do!

Some of the Fans at Scott's Poptopia Concert included: Musicians: Tom Sorrells (Titan records Prez + Yellow Hair drummer), Kyle Vincent, Chris Von Sneidern, Chris Dorn (The Beatifics), Jesse Bryson, Raspberries/Van Halen guitar tech: Kevin Dugan, The Vandalias (from Minneapolis) and Adam Marsland (Cockeyed Ghost) who introduced Scott McCarl.

Family and Friends included: Harry and Mary Ellen McCarl (Scott's parents), Michele Cervoni, music columnists: David Bash, John Borack and Jordan Oakes (from Yellow Pills fame), Refreshed producer: Steve Boyer, Don Manderfeld + nearly 400 other fans.

Don

On "Refreshed" in 2000, Dave Smalley's "Pop Teasers" had some memorable lyrics:

"You said there would be a tour / you put-it-off all summer / I packed the cooler / left work early man / what a bummer / Go on and play, pop teasers / I checked my email everyday / I need some confirmation / I call my pop friends man / I just can't get no information / Go out and play, pop teasers..."

It's also an introspective tune, as Dave and Scott sing co-lead: "They're old; they're going gray / Their gear is covered with dust, yeah / We'll resurrect them one more time..."

JohnO, I loved the "Shoe Fetish" CD, and I reviewed that in 2001: http://www.epinions.com/content_35463007876 --- and Mr. Borack and all involved in that project did a fantastic job!

Donmand, I loved part 1 of your story...

And Marvin, I love Scott's vocal on The Drysdales "Lost In Your Smile" on their CD --- catchy tune and nice to hear Scott's bass all over that album.

Patrick Potts (great guy) sent me this shot of Wally and Scott playing with The Drysdales at The Drysdales CD release party in Chicago in October of 2000: http://members.tripod.com/donkrider/063c8960.jpg

Don Krider smile

Here's a bigger shot of that Drysdales CD release party photo with (left to right) Patrick Potts, drummer Brad Elvis (Big Hello, Elvis Brothers, The Romantics), Scott McCarl and Wally Bryson --- http://hometown.aol.com/dkrider214/myhomepage/photo.html .

Scott and Wally look so Beatle-ish in the photo, maybe because Patrick said they were doing a Beatles medley of "Love Me Do" and "I Should've Known Better" when the shot was taken! The photo was taken by Gary Devroy.

Don smile

Brian, it is under Play On. Have not been able to go through all of the comments, other than to be very pleased of the McCarl kudos that are now popping up. Also, thanks Don for the cool links! It sounds like there might be a bit of a calling for Scott, even for a couple of songs, on 10/6. In retrospect, it was probably wise that he sat out the '05 tour.

Darn it Kirk!I wish there was a quick cure... Maybe we can try a little therapy where I whack you upside the head in different areas and see if it helps....

Whack!

Ringing gone?

No.

Whack!

Ringing gone now?

No.

Whack!

How about now?

No.

Whack!

Better now?

No.