A Night To Remember!

Raspbernie

Man oh man, where do I begin? Let me first say to each and every one of you who came up to me at various times and places over the weekend to thank me!

Thank YOU!!!

It was a very humbling experience and I was really moved by the outpouring of love, affection and appreciation for me, Kathy and EricCarmen.com!

To Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim: I never thought I would ever be able to say that I saw Raspberries perform live. But thanks to your devotion to the fans that wouldn't take no for an answer, I can proudly answer the question, "Have you ever been to a Raspberries concert?" with a loud and clear, "You bet!" Dreams really do come true!

To Susie, Kay, Kim and Barb: Thanks for sharing your guys. I know how hard they worked to put the show together and how much you sacrificed to let them be their best. As my wife Kathy is prone to say, "Behind every successful man is a woman who puts up with him." You gals deserve as much applause as they got Friday night. Brava!

To the "Overdubs”…Paul, Billy and jennifer: What can I say? You were playing so many additional instruments and singing so many added harmonies that Raspberries couldn't help but sound exactly like their records. I also noticed your smiles onstage seemed just as big as ours in the audience. Fantastic!

And finally, to the men behind the curtain…Dugie, Rusty and Ernie: It may have been over 30 years since you last plugged in Wally's Flying V or tightened the nut on one of Jim's cymbal stands, but your professionalism and combined experience let the band forget about the complex logistics of mounting their first show in three decades. Without you it just wouldn't have been the same. You guys rock!

As for the show: "Overnight Sensation" (with the transistor radio!); "Ecstasy" (with Eric taking the guitar break and Jim pounding his drums so hard that I swear I saw smoke!); Wally flawlessly executing every stupendous guitar lick (from the solo on "Tonight" to the intricate chords of "If You Change Your Mind!"); Dave enjoying every moment in the spotlight as he sang "It's Cold Outside" (and later when the SRO crowd broke into a spontaneous chant of, "Dave! Dave! Dave!")

Some say it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, a thought that I would wholeheartedly agree with if not for the fact that Kathy and I already have airline tickets and hotel reservations for New Year's Eve 🙂

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank YOU Bernie and your sweet wife Kathy! It was such an honor to meet you and thank you for letting me get my picture taken with you.

I, too never thought I would get a chance to see them. WOW, I had goosebumps during that wonderful openning. I don't know how I am gonna get back to my 'everyday regular life' after all the excitement of the weekend. I am still so 'high' from it all.............

paula

Bernie,

I am at a loss for words that will adequately describe the whole adventure. Usually it's the journey, not the destination that is so satisfying. The anticipation was heartstopping. Could they really pull this off? Will they just be a shell of the original band? How could they possible duplicate the sound they created 32+ years ago. They couldn't be anywhere close to that. So, I was prepared for a 'lesser' Raspberries experience.

Holy kwap, was I wrong. I've seen both versions of the Raspberries and they were both good bands but these guys, 32 years later, were OUTSTANDING. That doesn't even come close to describing what I heard (and I have a critic's ear).

Bernie, from your fabulous opening video (which should ALWAYS be used going forward, to the opening LIVE chords of "I Wanna Be With You." I damned near had a tear in my eye. The hair on my neck stood up.

I couldn't believe the sound, the harmonies, how Eric hit 98% of the high ones, and his energy was so extremely high.

Jim was his usual, steady, self, totally focused and right on - particularly on the more ambitious songs (I Can Remember, Overnight Sensation & Ecstacy),

Dave sounded as good as he did 32 years ago and his softer songs and vocals were a "perfect" fit for the set list.

And Wally, wow oh wow. Note for note the fills were the same as we heard 32 years ago. Wally, you were nothing short of perfection. I didn't realize how funny you are. While the roadies were tweaking the equipment problems you kept the crowd involved and cracked up. The Honeymooners skit was hilarious.

The 'side berries' were top notch. Paul, Jennifer & Billy (even Derek on tambourine and bongos)were the right choice to fill out the sound. Hats off to you.

Well, count me in for New Years Eve. For those who missed this show, you've got another shot - don't miss it. Tickets on sale Sat. Dec. 4th - you won't be disappointed.

Paul Williams (the songwriter) once wrote "...like an old familiar poem that just won't rhyme, you can get back to the place but not the time..." Well Paul, I'm pleased to tell ya - Eric, Wally, Jim and Dave just proved you wrong.

The guys were cleared whipped at the post show M&G but they stuck it out for almost 2 more hours. It's apparent they appreciate their fans. I believe it was Eric who described it as a "Love Fest." That about says it all.

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You - Thank You

spinspin

Exhausted Ted & Ruthie

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone, as aptly named above by Bernie. Special thanks to Eric, Wally, Dave and Jim. This could have easily just been a concert. I would have been happy to see the guys on stage together and hear the songs, even if they were a little off key and/or misplayed here and there. That is what you expect from a band of 55-year olds who have not played together in 30+ years! But, this was far far more than just a concert. It was truly an exercise in perfection, a work of art, and exceeded my expectations many times over. The singing was great, the range of vocals exceptional. These guys went all out to really do it right, and they sure did. I saw Raspberries at the Agora and Chesterland Hullabaloo in my younger (much!) days. They have outperformed even themselves with this one!!!

The Raspberries are ours..Cleveland..NE OHIO, We are keeping them here. They will be the house band every Sunday night at the HOB. They slipped away once and we ain't letting it happen again!

LOL!!! Just kidding of course. Its pretty amazing that the fans are still there and makes me feel honored that I saw them many times when they played the club/bar circuit way way long ago. I had a number of lump in the throat moments Friday and a 55 year old man did tear up when the curtain rose. They make ME feel proud to be from Cleveland.

• Like 1

I asked Rusty Pitrone after the show how he'd rate it against the other couple hundred shows he roadied for the 'Berries in their heyday and he said, "I think it was their best show EVER!" I replied, "Better than Carnegie Hall?" And he said, "Better than Carnegie Hall. I mixed that show, so I should know. This was their best show EVER!"

Bernie

• Like 1

• 17 years later...

What a great night it was to finally meet so many board members in person and of course the band. I had not seen them since 1973 in person and it was completely surreal when they took the stage. Mind blowing, actually. Let’s have a 20th anniversary show of the reunion show, boys! (I know, I know. I can dream can’t I?)

• Like 5

That run of shows between 2004 and 2007 was some kind of time-warp for me. Obviously, you don't have any say about when you were brought into this world. I'd have to agree with Paul Williams, though; "...like an old familiar poem that just won't rhyme, you can get back to the place but not the time...". The 1972 through 1977 Raspberries/Eric period can be encapsulated by just one phrase- 'the 70's'. Either you were there, or you weren't. The reunion shows brought much of the same music to a different time and a different place, often with better sound. Yet, the 'double 00's' brought an entirely different world with it. That the reunion shows could make me feel like I was revisiting my 70's self, if for only a couple hours at a time, is a testimony of how timeless their music is. It may be as close as I'll ever come to stepping into a time machine. The great equalizer was getting to spend time with the band and their families, getting to meet and make new friends, the sound checks and after show parties, and a whole lot more. Don't ask me to pick one era or the other. It's just one (very big) chapter in my life:)

• Like 6