The Deal

Randy

Randy evertime I hear someone remark "they sound like the Raspberries", I rush out and buy the music, and I'm inevitably disappointed. Let's face it, the 'berries raised the bar so high, not many can meet those lofty heights. As far as "The Deal" are concerned, I've never heard of them so can't say if they're the 'real deal' or not.

Marvin

The Deal hads a CD released in 2003 on Not Lame Records, titled GOODBYE SEPTEMBER: STUDIO SESSIONS AND HOME RECORDINGS, 1980-1986. It was an archival look at a decent pop band from Charlottesvillle, VA, albeit one who's history took a tragic turn when lead guitarist Haines Fullerton took his life in 1996. The CD is pretty good power pop (and features a Todd Rundgren guitar solo on one cut), albeit nothing that even approaches the level of Raspberries. Lead singer Mark Roebuck does manage to sound like a junior league Eric Carmen on a few of the better cuts ("Picture a Lady" and "Rebel Girl"). Overall grade: B-.